PrEP and Covid-19

Beetle

Hello,

Just following remark: at work I notice a lot of Covid positive persons. After weekends, travel, meetings, etc testing is done and every day more and more people are testing positive and being sent home in quarantaine. Up to now I did not have any positive testing which is strange knowing the very active lifestyle I have (a lot of business trips, meetings, different people, etc...). I start to think that taking PrEP is also blocking the covid virus? I am not a doctor so even not by far certified to claim whether this could be true but I know there are some people on here active in the medical world (albeit kinky ones 😈) better placed to comment on this.

Would it be possible that PrEP also,has an influence on Covid (not) entering the blood stream?

Ps: should there be or come in the future any proven positive effect of PrEP on the further spread of Covid-19, could then please any of you be so kind to nominatie me for the Noble Price For physiology and medecine. 

Upon the award of the price I’ll post a picture here during the award ceremony.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, rawwhitebottom said:

Where hav you been?!

Its well known anti-retrovirals are effects against the COVID -19 virus 

come on this is old news!!

For a bottom you have a big mouth 😛😋I did’t know this 😁

Edited by Luxie-006

Source: who.int

Can antiretrovirals be used to prevent COVID-19 infection?

A number of small studies have assessed whether antiretrovirals can be used to prevent infection from SARS-CoV2, often with discordant results. 

A recent study suggests that people living with HIV who were using tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF) were less likely to contract SARS-CoV-2. However, other studies indicate that tenofovir-based HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) does not provide protection against infection with the new coronavirus, nor does it ameliorate the course of COVID-19 disease [21]. In this study, prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 was actually higher among people taking PrEP compared to individuals who were not.

Taken together, the available literature does not provide conclusive evidence that antiretrovirals could protect individuals from SARS-CoV-2 infection or from becoming seriously ill with the virus. However, the certainty of the evidence is very low due to small sample size, and uncertainty regarding intensity of exposure.

People taking PrEP or who are taking ARVs with the hopes of preventing COVID-19 need to adopt the same COVID-19 prevention measures as recommended for people in the general population.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Luxie-006 said:

Source: who.int

Can antiretrovirals be used to prevent COVID-19 infection?

A number of small studies have assessed whether antiretrovirals can be used to prevent infection from SARS-CoV2, often with discordant results. 

A recent study suggests that people living with HIV who were using tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF) were less likely to contract SARS-CoV-2. However, other studies indicate that tenofovir-based HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) does not provide protection against infection with the new coronavirus, nor does it ameliorate the course of COVID-19 disease [21]. In this study, prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 was actually higher among people taking PrEP compared to individuals who were not.

Taken together, the available literature does not provide conclusive evidence that antiretrovirals could protect individuals from SARS-CoV-2 infection or from becoming seriously ill with the virus. However, the certainty of the evidence is very low due to small sample size, and uncertainty regarding intensity of exposure.

People taking PrEP or who are taking ARVs with the hopes of preventing COVID-19 need to adopt the same COVID-19 prevention measures as recommended for people in the general population.

Thank you. We need more actual citations to the literature and much fewer "Of course it must be!" posts from people who don't know what they're talking about.

The problem is people who assume ONE antiviral drug works against two different viruses equally well. That is simply not the case. SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes Covid-19, is not even in the same group of viruses as HIV (a retrovirus), and the two attack cells to reproduce in very different ways. Which strongly suggests, by itself, that taking PrEP will have little to no effect on SARS-CoV-2.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, rawwhitebottom said:

Hmmmm don’t know what I’m talking about hey

ok 

your doctorate is from where?

Careful what you assume

Let's see... I can believe the person who posted the link to study of studies, showing "discordant results" (an indicator, usually, that there is no correlation between a problem and its proposed solution other than random luck), or I can believe the person who doesn't yet seem to grasp the fundamentals of punctuation. Truly a dilemma to resolve, I tell ya.

• Haha 1

The results are not conclusive.  However reports that various anti-virals and therapies associated with PrEP and HIV are being used for COVID19 infection surface with regularity.

Here is one summary:

[think before following links] https://www.thebodypro.com/article/hiv-meds-may-not-reduce-covid-19-risk-experts-say

A new study released in Annals of Internal Medicine on June 26 demonstrated that people living with HIV who were on antiretroviral therapy (ART) in Madrid, Spain, were less likely to contract SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 disease. But people who were using tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF) were far less likely to contract SARS-CoV-2 than those taking other ART medications. And while media outlets have published the results of this study, many experts are warning people living with HIV—or using emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (Truvada, TDF/FTC) or emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide (Descovy, TAF/FTC) as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP)—to not take this study as conclusive evidence that ART will protect them from COVID-19, or from becoming gravely ill with the virus.

Just now, fuckholedc said:

The results are not conclusive.  However reports that various anti-virals and therapies associated with PrEP and HIV are being used for COVID19 infection surface with regularity.

Here is one summary:

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.thebodypro.com/article/hiv-meds-may-not-reduce-covid-19-risk-experts-say

I should have attached a date: July 1, 2020 (so almost in COVID19 prehistory but there were similar reports on studies in 2021).

5 hours ago, fuckholedc said:

I should have attached a date: July 1, 2020 (so almost in COVID19 prehistory but there were similar reports on studies in 2021).

And likewise, there have been many opposing reports (showing no connection between PrEP medication or HAART medication and increased resistance to Covid. Which is why the word used in the meta-study cited above was "discordant" results.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting anyone should stop taking PrEP simply because it doesn't stop them from contracting Covid. But I am saying don't skip getting vaccinated or boostered because you don't think you need it if you're on PrEP.