Your Best Friends ? 😉

Carlos1881

• Carlos1881 changed the title to Your Best Friends ? 😉

Interesting topic.

I think of myself as having very few actual friends - because I put a lot of weight on that word, and I'm not sure most of the people I know would welcome carrying that weight as part of our relationship/interaction. For those that I do place in that category, my favorite thing is something one of them pointed out years ago: I can go months, even years without talking directly with one of my friends, and yet, the moment we reconnect, there's no hesitancy, no awkwardness, and no feeling like I need to itemize all the major things that have happened to me in the interim (or for him to do the same to me). The friendships just endure.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

I can go months, even years without talking directly with one of my friends, and yet, the moment we reconnect, there's no hesitancy, no awkwardness, and no feeling like I need to itemize all the major things that have happened to me in the interim (or for him to do the same to me). The friendships just endure.

Totally relate to that - I have a small group of friends from my university days that is just like this!  Totally love them and trust them and life wouldn’t be the same without them. 

You may think it weird, but my best friend is actually my ex-wife. We met in the fourth grade. We were both outsiders in school. We helped each through years of abusive alcoholic Parents - my mother and father, her father. She followed me to college. I helped her through her class work and she totally supported me when my dance training took off and I began traveling. We loved each other through cancer (mine) and through three strokes (hers). I stayed in the closet for years for her sake, and she helped me through a rough period as I started to come out, including a couple of bad heartbreaks, and I will always do what I can to help her along. 

It took my partner a while to understand and accept that. But I have  no living relatives, and for as long as I remember she as been with me through all of he good and bad. She’s the only family I’ve ever had. 

• Like 3

The word friend or friendship is not something I take likely, Hence me having quality over quantity of friends if that makes sense?

Although I live in the UK, my best and closest friend lives in NJ USA.

I can talk to him about anything, never judgement, always honest and most of all he is a loyal friend.

My other friend is a girl, 34 years on, great trusting relationship and loyal.

Other than that I have friends, but not friends as deep as these two relationships.

I never stay friends with Ex's though, that does not work for me, we are ex's for a reason, I dont need frenemies.