Bayard Rustin & The Black Civil Rights Movement

rawTOP

Bayard Rustin was from West Chester, Pennsylvania, a mid-sized town in the remote (very white) suburbs of Philadelphia. Back in 2002 when the West Chester School District entertained naming a new school after Bayard Rustin, opponents to the proposal tried to derail the proposal with the argument (in part) that it was inappropriate to name a school after a homosexual. I wondered those opposing the naming were no less alarmed about honoring a black man, but admittedly that's speculation on my part. Happily the school district stuck to its guns and named the school after Rustin. The sort of controversey erupted in the '50s, albeit without the element of racism, when the Delaware River Bridge Authority announced plans to name a new bridge between Philadelphia and Camden after Walt Whitman, the famous poet who spent the last few decades of his life in Camden. The counter-argument, lead by the Diocese of Camden, was similar to that raised against the West Chester school district's decision to name the school after Rustin: it was inappropriate to name a bridge after an avowed homosexual. Happily that effort was also unsuccessful.

Both examples recall the adage: he who writes history controls the past. In this case the opponents to the two proposals tried to write two important gay men out of history.

• 3 years later...
Guest bbbearlover1

Rustin was nothing short of fearless, and I am glad that he got real recognition during the 50th anniversary if the March on Washington (since he was the principal organizer behind the scenes). He is a true icon.

Rustin was nothing short of fearless, and I am glad that he got real recognition during the 50th anniversary if the March on Washington (since he was the principal organizer behind the scenes). He is a true icon.

ditto, the fact that he was open, and unapologetic in a time like that is nothing short of incredible.