Age limit issue

Looselad

• Administrators

There is no investigation. The site is generally GDPR compliant despite not being required to be since we have no business presence in the UK or the EU.

There is also not a huge problem with registrations. The site gets about 400 registrations per month. A number that hasn't changed much in at least 18 months.

However… a few people do have problems entering their birth date during registration. This has been going on for a while now. It's unclear why a few people have the problem while many others don't. I suspect it has to do with entering the year. If you have the problem 1) try a different browser, 2) wait a day or two and try again since once the cookie is st that you're underage you have to wait for the cookie to expire. But in general be very careful that the full 4 digit year is entered properly.

• Upvote 2

New member here and had the Age Limit issue trying to sign up for the last few days.  I was using Google Chrome on my Samsung phone and kept getting the Age issue denial.  Then I tried Samsungs Internet app and it did not have the issue and worked so am now a member.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

After some back and forth with the developer of the software used to run this site, I've implemented something which I hope will help reduce the problem.

I suspect the problem is with older web browsers that don't fully support date input fields. When that happens the browser just treats the input area as a normal text input area. The developer put a placeholder (hint) into the area that said "Birthday" which is completely unhelpful to people who need to enter the date as text. I've written a Javascript which changes the placeholder hint to "YYYY-MM-DD" which let's people with older browsers know the correct format they need to enter to have their birth date understood. If you have a newer browser your browser will give you some sort of date picking interface and will then submit the value in that format. Some of the date picking interfaces are rather frustrating when you have to go years in the past, but that's your browser's fault, not the fault of the site coding.

Now to see if the reports of problems go down significantly. 🤞

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest-505

I’m trying to register for an account but if I enter my birth date in the format requested on the registration page, it tells me I must be 18 (despite being born in the 80’s).

I used the contact email and have received no reply. Any ideas?

@rawTOP did you solve the mystery? I just created an account and maybe the issue is in the registration, once you enter date of birth  etc the system asks the user to confirm when is their birthday, the wording of the question through me off because I thought the system was asking for confirmation of when my birthday is as in this year. So if people are getting mixed up they and entering the correct date of birth on step one but maybe entering the birthday date plus the current year (2023) obviously the system wouldn’t recognize such a date. Kinda silly i know but maybe it’s the cause of the problem? 
if step 2 asks  to confirm DOB instead of asking when is your birthday? 

I haven’t been able to use the chat function any more for already several years now. Here is the message I get each time I try:

+++++++

Redirect URL not specified.

Array ( [error] => UserID and/or BrowserID was invalid ( / 27710986). ) 1

Debug: FP & IP. BID: 27710986

++++++

Is this also related to the type of browser?

On 1/15/2023 at 4:22 PM, rawTOP said:

There is no investigation. The site is generally GDPR compliant despite not being required to be since we have no business presence in the UK or the EU.

There is also not a huge problem with registrations. The site gets about 400 registrations per month. A number that hasn't changed much in at least 18 months.

However… a few people do have problems entering their birth date during registration. This has been going on for a while now. It's unclear why a few people have the problem while many others don't. I suspect it has to do with entering the year. If you have the problem 1) try a different browser, 2) wait a day or two and try again since once the cookie is st that you're underage you have to wait for the cookie to expire. But in general be very careful that the full 4 digit year is entered properly.

I don't believe physical location has any bearing on needing to be GDPR compliant. [think before following links] https://gdpr.eu/checklist/

• Downvote 1

On 3/26/2023 at 3:53 PM, Guest Guest-505 said:

I’m trying to register for an account but if I enter my birth date in the format requested on the registration page, it tells me I must be 18 (despite being born in the 80’s).

I used the contact email and have received no reply. Any ideas?

FYI, I was able to create an account by telling the form I was exactly 18 years old. I’ll go correct my age now that I’ve got an account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.