Why haven't I become Poz?

3 hours ago, CumHoleSub said:

I've been having bb sex since I was a teen, 1979, when moved in with my uncle in  the Polk St district of SF. 40 yrs later, I'm still neg without prep, just lucky or genetics?  

Without testing (including possible genetic testing), it's impossible to know for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Friend of mine had been bottoming bare and taking loads for years. He's spent a lot of time in Palm Springs, going to bathhouses, and hooking up with guys online, and has had an astonishing (to me) number of random guys breed him. He was pretty confident that he was just naturally immune. Until he seroconverted two years ago. So, I'm gonna go with "lucky." 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Radium said:

Friend of mine had been bottoming bare and taking loads for years. He's spent a lot of time in Palm Springs, going to bathhouses, and hooking up with guys online, and has had an astonishing (to me) number of random guys breed him. He was pretty confident that he was just naturally immune. Until he seroconverted two years ago. So, I'm gonna go with "lucky." 

Not lucky, just your basic immune principles. I guess by "for years" you mean after 1997. So all his pozzers were undetec.

I know guys who are naturally immune, who never used condoms and were hot/musc ENUF to have 100 of tops load them in the 80s. (Back then, bbckers were rare, believe me) Way more natural immunes out there than anyone could imagine.

You could be lucky (or unlucky depending on what you want) or you have an immunity. If your background is Western European there is some evidence that a gene that made people resistant / immune to the Black Death in the Middle Ages may do the same with HIV. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Jockstrapbottom said:

You could be lucky (or unlucky depending on what you want) or you have an immunity. If your background is Western European there is some evidence that a gene that made people resistant / immune to the Black Death in the Middle Ages may do the same with HIV. 

Technically, the science out there is showing that the genetic mutation (CCR5Δ32) that makes humans resistant to HIV may also confer resistance to the Black Death - but the evidence for the latter is conflicting, while the evidence for the former is solid.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

There's a huge number of factors.  Natural immunity, maybe?  I think that's less than 2%, though?  Your intestines may develop more mucus than normal protecting them from the delicate virus?  HIV only "lives" about 20 min out of your bodily fluids or cells.  The capillaries on your intestinal wall might be thicker and harder to penetrate?  Or more sparce?  Your immune system may already be good at finding proteins in common with the virus and attack it as well?  Maybe it's just pure, dumb luck?

There are a number of factors.   But if you don't want to get infected, get on PReP and protect yourself.  Fuck and get fucked and be merry!

• Upvote 1

• Moderators
On 6/17/2023 at 2:07 PM, CumBttmSub said:

40 yrs later, I'm still neg without prep, just lucky or genetics?  

19 minutes ago, BigBearSean said:

Natural immunity, maybe?  I think that's less than 2%, though?

CCR5 Δ32 has an (heterozygote) allele frequency of 9% in Europe (and those of European descent), and a homozygote frequency of 1%

Translation: You've got about a 10% chance that you're somewhat resistant to infection, and about a 1% chance that you're virtually immune to infection.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia page explaining in more detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCR5#CCR5-Δ32

Or, you could just be lucky. If you were only having sex once a month (on average), and if we assume that after about 1999 the number of contagious men you played with dropped to something quite small, you'd have about a 3% chance to have ducked the bullet. But the proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating, and the fact is, you're still neg.

3 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

CCR5 Δ32 has an (heterozygote) allele frequency of 9% in Europe (and those of European descent), and a homozygote frequency of 1%

Translation: You've got about a 10% chance that you're somewhat resistant to infection, and about a 1% chance that you're virtually immune to infection.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia page explaining in more detail: [think before following links] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCR5#CCR5-Δ32

Or, you could just be lucky. If you were only having sex once a month (on average), and if we assume that after about 1999 the number of contagious men you played with dropped to something quite small, you'd have about a 3% chance to have ducked the bullet. But the proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating, and the fact is, you're still neg.

i didnt think the odds were that low. Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Always wondered the same, been taking loads from around the same time 1979. Played in many Adult Theatres, Sex Party’s and cruised gay hook up spots taking many anonymous loads. Yet every time I get tested I’m surprised I come away still neg 

• 3 weeks later...