Gender-affirming Care for Trans Youth

PupLucca

• Moderators
13 hours ago, topblkmale said:
20 hours ago, PupLucca said:

Giving puberty blockers to trans kids is not harming them. they can't get hormones until they are teens or older and they certainly can't have sex reassignment surgery until the age of 18 and have two psychiatrists  sign off on it. 

The trans communities fight for equality and acceptance is slightly different than gays and leasbians but aat the same time it is no more different. Just as the GAY AND LESBIAN fight for equality is slightly different than that of black Americans but yet no more different. If YOU can't see WE are all equal then YOU are the problem and see yourself out as you are not welcome at OUR table.

Also the trans community does not hate the gays or bi's or lesbians, maybe they just hate YOU

I would love to read sources on the bolded statements.

• Puberty blockers don't harm children; they simply arrest the progression of puberty temporarily.
  • Children are not given hormones until they are (a) old enough to consent and (b) actually undergoing puberty; this generally translates to somewhere in their mid-teens.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trans-youth-gender-affirming-health-care-misinformation/

I'm pretty sure @PupLucca is right about the surgery as well. That's only done for legal adults.

Furthermore, NONE OF THIS STUFF is done for children unless they UNDERSTAND IT AND NEED IT.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, mikeboi1 said:

believe everyone as the right to accept what they want and deisre and i see here in Portugal gay and bisexual men and trans males who wear woman clothing on the street, and no one says anything to them they are free to do as they please. its a choice of their own, However dotranating children to become gay or lesbian is not something that the LGBT should be doing!

we hear children are not mature enough to make decisions on their own but when it comes to sex change and major decision of sexual orientation a child is allowed to do his or her decision and even if its a child. I see contradictions to appease a new sexual orientation system.

I have spoken and worked with a trans male who was named Amenda and he had a sex change and then changed back to a male again. He said to me that it was the worste mistake of his life! One that almost killed him as sex change influences every organ of ones body and alters the body and its not an easy process.

I have no issue with sex change but one should be mature enough to know and accept and not a child like i have heard of five year old children who want to be of different sex or parents who manupulate their child to have a sex change to appease their desire.

2 hours ago, topblkmale said:

Truly ig'nant yet seriously doubtful. 🤣

LGBTQ Institute in Germany Was Burned Down by Nazis

The resources and data at Institut für Sexualwissenschaft were never replaced.

BY LUCY DIAVOLO

SEPTEMBER 20, 2017

GETTY IMAGES

On January 30, 1933, Adolf Hitler was officially appointed chancellor of Germany. His rise to power ushered in Nazi control of the country and led to the horrors of the Holocaust. Among those targeted by the Third Reich were lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people. LGBTQ people would be sent to concentration camps alongside Jews, the disabled, and many more — but one of the Nazis's first shows of force against Germany’s LGBTQ community was an attack on information.

On May 6, 1933, Nazi demonstrators raided the libraries of the Institut für Sexualwissenschaft, a German name that roughly translates to the Institute of Sexology. The Institute was a privately operated research space for studies of human sexuality. More than 20,000 books were taken from shelves and burned days later in the streets by Nazi youth groups.

It was a devastating blow to the life’s work of Magnus Hirschfeld, the institute’s founder. Hirschfeld, who was Jewish and gay, was a pioneer for rights and liberation in Berlin’s thriving LGBTQ community. He founded the institute in 1919, after beginning his career as an activist in 1896 with his pamphlet Sappho and Socrates, about a gay man who took his own life after he felt he was being coerced into a straight marriage.

Hirschfeld’s early publications laid the groundwork for his profile to rise until he became one of the most prominent LGBTQ activists in the world. He even cowrote one of the first gay characters to appear in a film, for 1919’s Different From the Others.

In 1904, he published a book titled Berlin’s Drittes Geschlecht, which translates to Berlin’s Third Sex. It was an early look at gender variance in early 20th-century Germany, which had a thriving drag scene and a burgeoning transgender community.

His prominence as the founder of the Scientific-Humanitarian Committee (which began in 1897) and the World League for Sexual Reform (founded in 1928) added to his credibility. But it was his institute that was credited with creating one of the first medical facilities in the world that could provide gender affirmation surgeries for trans people who wanted them.

Books deemed "un-German" in transport.

ULLSTEIN BILD DTL.

WATCH

Growing Up Trans

ADVERTISEMENT

Hirschfeld’s well-known name gave him the chance to intervene on behalf of at least one transgender woman arrested for "female impersonation." That woman went on to become one of several who had the chance to take advantage of his institute’s pioneering gender affirmation surgeries. Lili Elbe, the real-world basis for the film The Danish Girl, also underwent surgery there.

Unlike Hollywood producers, who cast Eddie Redmayne to play Lili, Hirschfeld had no problem giving prominent roles to actual transgender people. Trans activists were given the chance to represent themselves at conferences hosted by the institute, and they were among the institute’s more than 40 employees.

But the Nazis's destruction of the institute’s library destroyed all of the medical records, which contained detailed notes about the nuances of the complicated procedures, alongside untold volumes of thoughts, stories, and studies on LGBTQ people.

The Nazi youth harassment of Hirschfeld and the violent attacks against his institute are a frightening mirror of modern-day attacks on LGBTQ centers. As America’s far-right movement seems to grow in strength, the story of Hirschfeld’s life's work being destroyed is a stark reminder of what’s possible.

Hirschfeld died two years after the Nazis raided his institute. He had been away in France on a speaking engagement when the Nazis came, and he remained there in exile until his death from a heart attack on his 67th birthday, in 1935. He never had the time to rebuild his life’s work after fascists reduced it to ash.

Hirschfeld understood that LGBTQ people need research in order to better understand the ongoing struggles for liberation, and that research must come from within the community. The ability to dictate the terms of our own existence in the arenas of science and philosophy is vital to the path forward.

The Nazi strategy of destroying vital research was intentional since it erased the power of the knowledge contained within. Even now, the current administration struggles to find the adequate information to support its own LGBTQ policies, underscoring the importance of reliable information.

The Nazis exploited existing laws to attack the LGBTQ community, but the legacy of their enforcement practices lingered for decades. It took East Germany until 1968 and West Germany until 1994 to repeal the laws Nazis used to persecute LGBTQ people. Modern-day Germany only just officially voided those charges this June.

Related: Gender Variance Around the World Over Time

• Confused 1

On 6/28/2023 at 9:57 AM, viking8x6 said:
  On 6/28/2023 at 5:06 AM, mikeboi1 said:

believe everyone as the right to accept what they want and deisre and i see here in Portugal gay and bisexual men and trans males who wear woman clothing on the street, and no one says anything to them they are free to do as they please. its a choice of their own, However dotranating children to become gay or lesbian is not something that the LGBT should be doing!

we hear children are not mature enough to make decisions on their own but when it comes to sex change and major decision of sexual orientation a child is allowed to do his or her decision and even if its a child. I see contradictions to appease a new sexual orientation system.

I have spoken and worked with a trans male who was named Amenda and he had a sex change and then changed back to a male again. He said to me that it was the worste mistake of his life! One that almost killed him as sex change influences every organ of ones body and alters the body and its not an easy process.

I have no issue with sex change but one should be mature enough to know and accept and not a child like i have heard of five year old children who want to be of different sex or parents who manupulate their child to have a sex change to appease their desire.

Well, transitioning was the best choice iv made in my entire life, and was very lucky that I did it at early age, I had to hide my growing breasts from my family for years before leaving on my own. Cisgender people will never fully understand gender dysphoria and the struggle we go through.

My ONLY regret with transitioning is that I didn't do this sooner. Childhood transition wouldn't have been an option for me, because of how I was raised. However, I wish more than anything that it was. As for puberty blockers, they were used to help treat gender dysphoria in children, without issue, since 1993. As was stated before, blockers are administered at the onset of puberty (since there is no reason to do so before that) typically around 10-12 years old. Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) typically begins at age 16, though sometimes as young as 14, and only with the recommendation of two shrinks AND the permission of said child's parents.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, JessicaDiamond said:

My ONLY regret with transitioning is that I didn't do this sooner. Childhood transition wouldn't have been an option for me, because of how I was raised. However, I wish more than anything that it was. As for puberty blockers, they were used to help treat gender dysphoria in children, without issue, since 1993. As was stated before, blockers are administered at the onset of puberty (since there is no reason to do so before that) typically around 10-12 years old. Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) typically begins at age 16, though sometimes as young as 14, and only with the recommendation of two shrinks AND the permission of said child's parents.

The only things I'd add: the rules on HRT (including how many medical professionals, and what kind of professionals, must sign off) are generally state-level, not national.

On 7/1/2023 at 9:53 PM, BootmanLA said:

The only things I'd add: the rules on HRT (including how many medical professionals, and what kind of professionals, must sign off) are generally state-level, not national.

True. Doctors mostly follow WPATH standards. Given the BS coming out of repuklican states, maybe we need some national guidelines. Or better yet, a Federal law saying that doctors, not politicians, should be the authority in medical decisions 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 7/1/2023 at 12:11 PM, JessicaDiamond said:

Same here, wish had started my transition during my teenage but grew up in a traditional family and very conservative society during 80’s/90’s. I started with sporadic hormones in late 90s, officially started transition on/off under doctor supervision last december.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 1:28 AM, JessicaDiamond said:

True. Doctors mostly follow WPATH standards. Given the BS coming out of repuklican states, maybe we need some national guidelines. Or better yet, a Federal law saying that doctors, not politicians, should be the authority in medical decisions 

I'm not sure such a federal law would be constitutional, at least not with this Supreme Court. It's true that Congress has the power to regulate commerce on an interstate level, but you might have a hard time convincing two (or more) of the conservative justices that Congress can go THAT far, especially with respect to doctors treating people within their state. Add in that the practice of medicine has, historically speaking, been the exclusive province of the states, and you've got a problem: which Clause of the Constitution gives that power to Congress?

• Like 2

On 6/28/2023 at 8:35 AM, viking8x6 said:
  • Puberty blockers don't harm children; they simply arrest the progression of puberty temporarily.
  • Children are not given hormones until they are (a) old enough to consent and (b) actually undergoing puberty; this generally translates to somewhere in their mid-teens.

[think before following links] https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trans-youth-gender-affirming-health-care-misinformation/

I'm pretty sure @PupLucca is right about the surgery as well. That's only done for legal adults.

Furthermore, NONE OF THIS STUFF is done for children unless they UNDERSTAND IT AND NEED IT.

This is not true. While in the minority by a lot comparably to most gender affirming surgeries, there's been girls ages 12-14 who had top surgeries. Another point is the countries that were leading countries for gender affirming Care on minors have all reversed course. Maybe we should ask them why they did that. Once age of consent do whatever you want 

• Upvote 1