Preferred treatment for syphilis being rationed

• Administrators

Now is the time to talk to your sex-friendly primary care provider about DoxyPEP - which prevents syphilis infection.

https://apple.news/AKD9B8dM3SMivPrOjCGb_-A

A shortage of penicillin to treat a skyrocketing number of syphilis cases is so dire that US health officials are debating the need to declare a public health emergency, according to people familiar with the matter.

Major US medical centers are rationing the recommended treatment for the deadly sexually transmitted disease because of a supply crunch. From Michigan to Missouri to Texas, some health-care providers are prioritizing giving a key treatment — penicillin G benzathine ["bicillin"] — to pregnant patients and babies, because the drug can pass through the placenta and also treat the fetus.

The situation is partly a result of under-investment in manufacturing after years of falling generic drug prices. Companies have also been caught off guard by unexpected changes in demand, creating far-reaching consequences that imperil lives.

The penicillin shortage began in April. The FDA said it was caused by increases in cases of both syphilis and strep throat. Because a common antibiotic used to treat strep was in short supply this winter, patients were prescribed penicillin as an alternative, driving up demand for the drug.

[Pfizer - the only manufacturer of bicillin] has told the FDA that supply disruptions for the two most common doses of penicillin G benzathine will likely continue into the second quarter of 2024.

...the CDC is advising that doctors turn to another antibiotic, doxycycline. That’s less convenient for patients, because doxycycline is a pill given twice a day for at least two weeks, whereas penicillin G benzathine is an injection that can sometimes clear the disease completely with one dose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rawTOP said:

Now is the time to talk to your sex-friendly primary care provider about DoxyPEP - which prevents syphilis infection.

Thanks rawTOP.  Fortunately still treatment albeit a 2x daily cadence, sensitivity to sun.  Glad to have options anyway.  

• Moderators

This definitely is an issue. I ran into it personally last month. Clinic told me they had none in stock and they would have to order it, entailing a 3 week wait. Three weeks later... I showed up to the clinic and they told me it was a mix-up and the test was a false positive (because I had had it previously). Ironically, one of the things on my list for the first visit was discussing DoxyPEP.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...