Rituximab and PREP

reirakubot

Got diagnosed with an auto immune disease (GPA Vasculitis)… does anyone know PREP’s effectiveness while being treated with Rituximab… unlikely I’ll start soon anyway, need major rehab of body and lungs, but am curious. (Definitely some wet dreams of how vulnerable I am but, that’s staying a fantasy)

Edited by reirakubot

I'm unable to find any medical literature (in a quick, not a thorough, search), but this is probably a question you need to ask your physician before you even begin Rituximab. Don't wait for him to bring it up - ask, and if he doesn't know, tell him you need to find out. It's his job to know what he's treating you with and what it can and can't be taken with.

Assuming there are no contraindications for taking them together, I would strongly recommend getting on PrEP (if you're not already) and staying on it while being treated for an auto immune disease. If your body's immune system is already under attack from within by something like GPA vasculitis, I guarantee you that you don't want to heap HIV treatment on top of that along with HIV hammering your system non-stop trying to break through the treatment.

Yeah.  The rheumatology team didn’t have an immediate answer, and I wasn’t on prep at the time when they gave the doses… I had just come out of sedation for first dose and wasn’t in right mind to ask questions…. The treatment was more important than the Prep to be fair… just judging for future. I’m definitely not healthy enough (fitness and lungs) to be ready to play.  Gonna ask the clinic providing prep soon when I’m home from this hospital stay.

• Upvote 1