Pig Week - WOW!

justsexnowatl

On 12/2/2023 at 10:33 AM, hntnhole said:

There were guys fucking each other everywhere, just like it used to be.  Apparently, the management got a "pass" on the rule re: no sex in the bar - for PigWeek.  

What I want to know is, if they can get a pass for PigWeek, then why not for the other 51 weeks of the year? 

My guess is that the "pass" was unofficial.

In New Orleans, for instance, there's a similar ban on sex in "public" spaces, including the bars. (The main justification is that as soon as some guys start fucking, a bunch gather around to watch, focused on the sex, and it's prime season for pickpockets - especially since a lot of watchers will have their pants open to JO, and they don't feel the wallets being lifted because the victim's pants are loose. The other justification is that some of the most notorious "back room" spots - especially the former Rawhide - were rooms that had at least one wall of doors open to the sidewalk outside, so the sex wasn't especially private.)

The reality was that typically, oral was permitted because it was less obvious and didn't attract quite as many lookers-on, and that the further from the outside walls you were, the greater the chances of getting away with actual fucking. And at places like the Eagle Bar upstairs at the Phoenix, there were no windows or doors that the public could see through, so the cops really didn't enforce things too strictly as long as the action was up there, not down in the main bar.

But (historically speaking) the cops were very lenient about this during Mardi Gras, Southern Decadence, and the occasional other weekend. What they recognized (but didn't publicly acknowledge) is that the dollars brought into the local economy by the tourists in for those events (and others) are what keeps the city afloat, and strictly enforcing the law was counter productive to that end (plus, the huge volume of people meant you'd have to dedicate a big chunk of a limited police force to that task). So the police precinct captains, etc. would let it be known what the temporary line for enforcement would be for the duration of the special event.

I'm guessing it's something similar for Pig Week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

My guess is that the "pass" was unofficial.

Thanks for your input, which may be true, but I doubt it.  

As you may (or may not) know, our mayor is gay*, a lot of the cops are gay, so that would lend credence to your theory.  Plus, crowds of men for a whole week would hardly go unnoticed by the cops.  They're over there a couple of times a week anyway, chasing guys fucking each other away from the used furniture store/adjacent areas, where guys go now that RR no longer allows anything more the "feelies" through the clothes.  I didn't bother to go over there last night, so I'm not aware of any changes now that PW is over.  

If it happens at Ramrod, I think "downtown" is certainly aware.  

There is another issue in the 'hood; parking is almost non-existent.  Even on the PW website guys were advised to use Uber or Lyft for RR events.  It got to the point that neighborhood organizations/block clubs were getting pissed off about cars parking in people's yards, fucking behind everyone's bushes (including mine - (I found a RR t-shirt in my front yard a while ago, and there are often beer bottles, associated detritus in the morning  - but never a found a condom 😋).  There are a number of gay guys who think all the raw fucking is just terrible, and they're members of the block clubs too.  

Maybe I'll head over there tonight, check it out again now that PW is over.  

*I've seen him a number of times at RR, surrounded by the inevitable sycophants.  Not lately though.  

• Upvote 1