Did I Seroconvert?

Did I Seroconvert?

I have been taking PrEP daily for almost 5 years.  Last year I had two short breaks for medical procedures.  I abstained from sex before stopping PrEP for a week on each occasion.  I also abstained from sex for seven days, as per the protocol, before having sex again once I restarted taking PrEP.

I am mostly versatile leaning towards top.  I visit saunas and have a couple of FBs.  To my knowledge I have not knowingly taken a Poz unmedicated load, let alone an undetectable load.

In November last year I had a week of night sweats, sore throat, fever, swollen lymph glands in my neck and a cough.  I have had five Covid vaccinations, the last one was in June last year.  I did six or seven Covid tests at the time, all negative for Covid.

I had my regular three-monthly PrEP screen in January this year which was negative.  I spoke with my Dr at the time.  He said it could have still been Covid.

I have been doing some reading on BZ and have chatted with a guy on another site who converted with almost the same symptoms.  No, I didn’t exchange loads with him.  He said that he had a HIV test about 3 months after his symptoms and it came up negative for HIV.  He pushed his Dr and requested a Viral Load Levels test which came up positive.

Should I be worried?

5 hours ago, bbsyd2765 said:

Should I be worried?

No, you should get further, more intense testing done.  Sounds like you've done everything correctly, but then I'm no doctor either.  

Worry doesn't cure anything - only testing/treating counts - no matter what the malady happens to be.  In the event you feel you need another professional opinion, by all means get one.  

Good luck, bud !!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, bbsyd2765 said:

Should I be worried?

i'm not sure what you're asking.

the main point of worry is preventative protection. it's why we take precautions, follow medical advice, get tested frequently for early detection, etc. but it sounds like you are already doing all that.

are you asking if you should panic? i wouldn't advise it as it's counterproductive. try to relax and wait. 

• Like 1

Very unlikely you are poz. I would take another home test. The home test looks for antibodies.  If you are still concerned a doc can do a more precise test and even a CD4 test. 
seroconversion symptoms are very similar to hose ov numerous viruses or infections 

• Moderators

OK, I'm not a (medical) doctor. I am a scientist, though. Based on the evidence and events you've cited above, it's far more likely that the symptoms you had in November were due to Covid, RSV, influenza, or another easily transmissible virus than that they were due to HIV seroconversion.  Those first three in particular were extremely prevalent in that timeframe (so much so that it was in the national news), and all are far more contagious than HIV. You had prophylaxis for HIV and for Covid, but what about the other two?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

OK, I'm not a (medical) doctor. I am a scientist, though. Based on the evidence and events you've cited above, it's far more likely that the symptoms you had in November were due to Covid, RSV, influenza, or another easily transmissible virus than that they were due to HIV seroconversion.  Those first three in particular were extremely prevalent in that timeframe (so much so that it was in the national news), and all are far more contagious than HIV. You had prophylaxis for HIV and for Covid, but what about the other two?

I don't know enough about the particular examples of seroconversion, just mine - it wasn't just a gentle, cough - it was razor blades in my throat and my esophagus. There were rashes around my mouth - I think each case of HIV seroconversion is unique. So is COVID 19 seroconversion. If there is a doctor around, please step in and help us out.  

4 hours ago, Poz50something said:

I don't know enough about the particular examples of seroconversion, just mine - it wasn't just a gentle, cough - it was razor blades in my throat and my esophagus. There were rashes around my mouth - I think each case of HIV seroconversion is unique. So is COVID 19 seroconversion. If there is a doctor around, please step in and help us out.  

A large percentage of those infected do not have symptoms during seroconversion. Mine was akin to a bad flu. High fever, chills, night sweats. Lasted about 4 days. 

Thank you all for your input.  I am going to get a HIV home test kit tomorrow.  I have my regular three month blood work due mid April.

In response to @viking8x6 question regarding " prophylaxis for HIV and for Covid, but what about the other two?" I have had the influenza vaccination but not the RSV.  AS you said viking8X6, both Influenza and RSV were in the new in the US, it was a little later here in Oz.

I will have a better idea tomorrow.

Once again, thank you all for your input.

• Upvote 1