(Pretending to Be) Willfully Ignorant About Prep

So there is this guy on Sniffies who claims to be under 30 who enjoys berating people locally who bareback. “Haven’t you guys learned anything from the 80s?” He says. Or “Lol if BB is in your profile, no wonder your poz!”

This guy must be lying about his age because  just have a hard time believing in the day of algorithms and personalized advertising, a gay man had never heard of prep or doxy. Even if a doctor sees your gay in your chart, most will discuss it with you. 

This is not a rant against condoms as I still use them if the occasion calls. I trust condoms still more than prep. But I don’t understand the guys (pretending) that being ignorant to the latest trends in medicine makes them qualified to chastise the rest of the community on a public forum. 

Thoughts? 

• Moderators

You have multiple examples - what, does he have a reputation for this behavior?

I find it unsurprising that men under 30 would be rude, condescending, or arrogant. I might have been a bit of all those myself at that age.

I find it unsurprising that some men under 30 (depending a lot on geography and self-identification) would be ignorant. Certainly in my neck of the woods (which epithet must be understood to be literal in these parts) there's plenty of ignorance to go around. E.g. I had to educate my primary care provider about doxyPEP, and he clearly didn't get the idea properly because he wrote a prescription for one dose (WTF?). Getting tested for anal and oral STIs is similarly fraught.

FWIW, I used condoms for years back in the 80s and 90s. As far as HIV goes, I trust PrEP more than condoms. But condoms more than doxy.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

You have multiple examples - what, does he have a reputation for this behavior?

I find it unsurprising that men under 30 would be rude, condescending, or arrogant. I might have been a bit of all those myself at that age.

I find it unsurprising that some men under 30 (depending a lot on geography and self-identification) would be ignorant. Certainly in my neck of the woods (which epithet must be understood to be literal in these parts) there's plenty of ignorance to go around. E.g. I had to educate my primary care provider about doxyPEP, and he clearly didn't get the idea properly because he wrote a prescription for one dose (WTF?). Getting tested for anal and oral STIs is similarly fraught.

FWIW, I used condoms for years back in the 80s and 90s. As far as HIV goes, I trust PrEP more than condoms. But condoms more than doxy.

Yeah, doctors in rural southwest Georgia have no clue about PrEP or gay sex. One is better off going to see a doctor in Atlanta or maybe Tallahassee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-raw said:

Yeah, doctors in rural southwest Georgia have no clue about PrEP or gay sex. One is better off going to see a doctor in Atlanta or maybe Tallahassee.

OK, maybe my point about the doctors was regional. But still the algorithms? I see Prep/doxy ads on my streaming services regularly 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, BlackDude said:

OK, maybe my point about the doctors was regional. But still the algorithms? I see Prep/doxy ads on my streaming services regularly 

What the algorithms throw you depends on what you feed them. I'd guess that a closeted individual of the kind one finds under every rock out here, whose social media contains not the slightest hint of gay/bi oriented content (and probably isn't identifiable from their cruise app profile, which has no picture or other identifying information, nor even any text whatsoever), wouldn't get them. I can't recall getting any doxy ads myself, come to think of it, though I get prep ads all the time.