Thoughts on Astrology

PhoenixGeoff

What's your opinion on astrology?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion on astrology?

• It's unmitigated, worthless bunk that has no bearing on personality at all
    • It might be true, it might not. I've seen it work enough that I'd consider the possibility
    • It absolutely works, even if science can't explain it
    • I don't give a flying fuck about your sign. I'm just here for the cheap and sleazy sex.

So I've noticed that one particular idea that seems to keep hanging around is the idea of astrology. There are hook-up sites that let you search on that basis (like Adam 4 Adam). There are tons of people I seem to know on Facebook who have their daily horoscopes go by.

Now, most anyone with a scientific background (particularly in physics or astronomy) will tell you astrology is bunk. But the idea seems to persist.

I'm curious to know if there are guys around here that believe it works. Also interested to see if any particular signs are over-represented among gay barebacking pigs.

FWIW, I'm a Scorpio (which seems to be just about the only sign everyone knows about, and I'll admit that I live up to the reputation)

When it comes to horoscope personalities - it's purposely describing very broad personality traits. Unless the reader is 100% the opposite of the description someone will always find something of themselves in the description even if they are of the wrong sign.

Im a Gemini and the generic horoscope says that i am "flighty" and "child-like" but my friends say im the most grounded and mature person in their sphere of friends.

It's all bullshit. I remember a bunch of friends once had a numbers book that told you your personality traits (and other crap) based on your birthdate, your height, and (I think) your number of siblings.

Out of the dozen or so personality traits it said I had, it was only right about two. But since one of them was "you tend to be grounded in science and skeptical of unexplained things" or something similar, when I tried to point out how it was just bullshit, everyone went "OMG the book is right!" and bought into it. Never mind that the book got only two things right out of twelve (less than 20% accuracy). Sure, it's fun to read, but it's complete and utter bullshit.

Really, do people think everyone born in the same month (or even the same day) are all going to be alike? Sorry but that is just fucking stupid.

How well do these traits fit you and others that you know?

Zodiac Sign

Positive Traits

Negative Traits

Capricorn

Practical and prudent

Ambitious and disciplined

Patient and careful

Humorous and reserved

Pessimistic and fatalistic

Miserly and grudging

Over conventional and rigid

Aquarius

Friendly and humanitarian

Honest and loyal

Original and inventive

Independent and intellectual

Intractable and contrary

Perverse and unpredictable

Unemotional and detached

Pisces

Imaginative and sensitive

Compassionate and kind

Selfless and unworldly

Intuitive and sympathetic

Escapist and idealistic

Secretive and vague

Weak-willed and easily led

Aries

Adventurous and energetic

Pioneering and courageous

Enthusiastic and confident

Dynamic and quick-witted

Selfish and quick-tempered

Impulsive and impatient

Foolhardy and daredevil

Taurus

Patient and reliable

Warmhearted and loving

Persistent and determined

Placid and security loving

Jealous and possessive

Resentful and inflexible

Self-indulgent and greedy

Gemini

Adaptable and versatile

Communicative and witty

Intellectual and eloquent

Youthful and lively

Nervous and tense

Superficial and inconsistent

Cunning and inquisitive

Cancer

Emotional and loving

Intuitive and imaginative

Shrewd and cautious

Protective and sympathetic

Changeable and moody

Overemotional and touchy

Clinging and unable to let go

Leo

Generous and warmhearted

Creative and enthusiastic

Broad-minded and expansive

Faithful and loving

Pompous and patronizing

Bossy and interfering

Dogmatic and intolerant

Virgo

Modest and shy

Meticulous and reliable

Practical and diligent

Intelligent and analytical

Fussy and a worrier

Overcritical and harsh

Perfectionist and conservative

Libra

Diplomaitic and urbane

Romantic and charming

Easygoing and sociable

Idealistic and peaceable

Indecisive and changeable

Gullible and easily infuenced

Flirtatious and self-indulgent.

Scorpio'

Determined and forceful

Emotional and intuitive

Powerful and passionate

Exciting and magnetic

Jealous and resentful

Compulsive and obsessive

Secretive and obstinate

Sagittarius

Optimistic and freedom-loving

Jovial and good-humored

Honest and straightforward

Intellectual and philosophical

Blindly optimistic and careless

Irresponsible and superficial

Tactless and restless

I have to say I've read my share of books related to this topic over the years. One inparticular called "Gay Love Signs" which is based off a book of more or less teh same name less teh Gay part. It compares signs with each other to see if they are compatiable in a relationship.

As for my own sign, I am a Sagittarius, in most instenses some of the "traits" Sag has do fit me very well. The ones that don't re teh Outgoing things and life of the party types. I am actually very shy in a group setting specially with strangers. As for the "love" type things. That is ture, in a relationship I tend to get "bored" easily and wonder a bit looking for something exciting and new, so for me an OPEN releationship would be the only way to go these days if it where to ever happen again. I don't live my life by it like some do, but I think its fun to read now and then. That's my 0.02.

Going off Pig Bottom's list as far as I'm concerned:

Determined and forceful

Emotional and intuitive

Powerful and passionate

Exciting and magnetic

Of the four areas listed, the "powerful and passionate" one definitely describes my approach to sex. But outside of the bedroom, not so much. Same for "determined and forceful". As far as "emotional and intuitive" are concerned, I am a bit of a still-waters-run-deep type of person; I don't wear my heart on my sleeve, but I can have very deep emotions. They just don't often get let out. As for "exciting and magnetic," I'd have to let others who know me say. Personally, I think I tend to be dull as dishwater (unless your interests happen to align with my own kind of off-the-beaten-track interests).

Jealous and resentful

Compulsive and obsessive

Secretive and obstinate

"Jealous and resentful" is not me at all. If anything, I am the complete polar opposite of jealous. "Compulsive and obsessive" and "secretive and obstinate" do both fit me pretty well though.

I actually think it can be VERY useful...to a degree. Personally, I see it as 1 of many ways to almost see the big picture, without having all the individual details. In a simple, almost "hollistic" point of view, I break everything down to the bare basics. Overall, I DO find that certain personality types and temperaments seem to either mesh or clash more or less with other certain signs. I see "signs" as the embodiment of typically inherent qualities. For example, I'm a Gemini, an air sign. I find that TYPICALLY, I don't make a very good romantic partner to earth signs. Air and earth are known to opposites or just overall incomapatible. Same for fire and water, which should seem obvious. Each sign represents an accentuation of certain qualities. So I'm not saying it's Gospel, but I am saying that I find it useful as just another tool to essentially do a profile or personality/quality assessment of people. I think it can call be just as simple OR difficult as you want to make it, but it all makes sense to me!

And I actually have thought about what signs are more prone to rampant barebacking...and I personally see a lot of Geminis, Aquarians, and Scorpios listed among all the sites.

Science is just a system that is used to lead to more questions. Even the things we think we 'know' we don't know.

Like what? Gravity. We all deal with it but science can't tell you exactly what it is. The Big Bang. Things that are propelled by an explosion slow down from the point of the explosion. when we look at the stuff in the universe over a period of time we expected to find the spectral Doppler shift (like the sound of a car horn passing you but with light) indicating that things are slowing down. WRONG. Stuff is SPEEDING UP shooting away from the big bang. Science can't explain how.

So consider this: if you take two particles that are related and separate them, they still continue to act like they are attached. Science can't explain how.

We are the same stuff that makes up all the rest of the universe. Planets, stars, everything.

Science says that the gravity and radiation and all that from the stars and planets is really too weak to have any effect on people on earth. But we are the same stuff as the stars. Maybe some of the effects of the ways that things line up gets transferred to the particles that make us up?

Can science prove it? Nope? Can they disprove it? Nope.

Scientists can be skeptical but the only honest answer they can give is, "maybe".