Are Gays More Racist?

HungLatinDom

No, he's racist because he's constantly saying things like "those f*cking Jews", and "lazy ass nego"... He's got Jewish/black friends but is constantly pointing out problems with the group as a whole...

He sounds like a miserable jerk. One of those people who are just angry at the world and has racial hatred plus general hatred.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
He sounds like a miserable jerk. One of those people who are just angry at the world and has racial hatred plus general hatred.

No, he's not like that at all... He's got a really good heart. It's just he's been dealing with a few different unscrupulous real estate folks in Brooklyn who happen to be Jewish, and his black boyfriend just wants to play video games all day long instead of going out and doing stuff... When someone fits a stereotype he points it out - rather bluntly...

And I think that's sort of the point with any discussion of racism... Think of Archie Bunker... Sweet guy, but an asshole when it comes to race/diversity. People with generally good hearts can be really stupid and do things that hurt other people when they're looking through racist lenses. Most of the time it's just a lack of education and interaction with people who are different. Then there are fetishists who love minorities, but belittle them in the process of loving them. Again, they can have good hearts and they can even mean well. None of those types are like the "haters" who are just dangerous and evil...

It could also be what he was brought up with. Oftentimes, people will make all kinds of allowances for members of a racial group that they know and are friends, while still making disparaging remarks about the group as a whole.

In a similar sort of way, I know guys who'll complain about "n*ggers" but who clearly regard that as a subset of black people. To them, a "n*gger" is someone who's uninterested in working, probably involved with drugs, has some low-level criminal involvement, etc. Obviously, there's a racial component there too; the term doesn't apply to similar whites (they generally get the "trailer trash" label or something similar).

I actually think your social class has a lot to do with how you feel about the subject. Middle and upper class people (which I assume includes most of the readership here) don't usually have much exposure to the underclass. Working class people often do; they frequently live side-by-side and are often resentful of their neighbors who are seen as not being willing to help themselves out of poverty getting any kind of extra assistance. Race then becomes a convenient way of expressing that resentment.

I actually think your social class has a lot to do with how you feel about the subject. Middle and upper class people (which I assume includes most of the readership here) don't usually have much exposure to the underclass. Working class people often do; they frequently live side-by-side and are often resentful of their neighbors who are seen as not being willing to help themselves out of poverty getting any kind of extra assistance. Race then becomes a convenient way of expressing that resentment.

Upper class people often have a lot of disdain for the poor and minorities in general. Most are smart enough to keep their mouths shut about it.

If you live in most large cities in the US you will be exposed to minorities via work or in daily interactions.

Middle class are working class. I never thought of members of this place as being upper or lower class. I don't think we have much royalty amongst us here. Honestly if I were to guess, I hate to be honest, but I feel a lower class vibe here, not that there's anything wrong with that. :concern:

Some people like to think they are better than others. I knew a guy and his friend who liked to talk about "breeding" in terms of people and thinking it was class. They are both lower class alcoholics. So breeding must mean that your parents work hard of come into money and then you sit home and drink yourself into a stupor.

At the risk of diverting the topic onto social class, I agree with Pig Bottom that the middle and upper classes usually hide their disdain for others behind a mask of politeness or even "social concern". The working class in the U.K. has been more vocally racist than the other classes for several reasons. Firstly, it has been the poor whites who have encountered most competition for jobs, housing and services - as waves of new immigrants settle in the poorest areas initially. Secondly, working class culture is less inhibited. If you are angry, you express it ( all too often violently ). If you don't like someone, you tell them.

From a European perspective, the rebranding of U.S. workers ( people with a job ) as "middle class" is hilarious. I get the impression from U.S. tv that "working class" is a label reserved for the unemployed ( those who DON'T work ) and the homeless. But hey "working people" just got promoted to "middle class" and it costs the government/their employers nothing :-) On the issue of alcoholism and social class, the genuine British land owning aristocracy seem to have more than their fair quota of alcoholics and junkies. If you have nothing to do with your time but pursue pleasure, alcohol and drugs quickly feature.

From a European perspective, the rebranding of U.S. workers ( people with a job ) as "middle class" is hilarious. I get the impression from U.S. tv that "working class" is a label reserved for the unemployed ( those who DON'T work ) and the homeless. But hey "working people" just got promoted to "middle class" and it costs the government/their employers nothing :-) On the issue of alcoholism and social class, the genuine British land owning aristocracy seem to have more than their fair quota of alcoholics and junkies. If you have nothing to do with your time but pursue pleasure, alcohol and drugs quickly feature.

Class isn't really discussed much in the US. We have the poor, lower middle class, middle class, upper middle class, the rich and the ultra wealthy. I don't think I'm any better or worse than any other class.

If you don't think gays are more racist, just watch one episode of Tosh.0 on Comedy Central. He's a gay comedian who's whole routine is based on promoting hilarious stereotypes of blacks, latinos, asians and arabs. Funny, yes. But still racist. He gets a 'pass' since he's gay.

Eh... no.

You cannot judge for a single individual. According to that logic all black people are crazy because of the Nation of Islam.

If you don't think gays are more racist, just watch one episode of Tosh.0 on Comedy Central. He's a gay comedian who's whole routine is based on promoting hilarious stereotypes of blacks, latinos, asians and arabs. Funny, yes. But still racist. He gets a 'pass' since he's gay.

Is Tosh gay? He often implies that he isn't but he also often implies that he's not - I don't know anything about him outside of his show / stand-up routine. Either way - you could then argue that his comedy is also homophobic as he rips on gays also and portrays silly stereotypes of homosexuals. Lots of comedians play off of stereotypes / etc.

Getting a pass on playing off of stereotypes for a comedian has nothing to do with being gay, but with the fact that they are a comedian.

One person does not make gays more racist. That's like saying watch the Sopranos to prove that straight people are more racist.

I don't watch the show, and I've heard of him, but he's not out as a gay person, he has the gay voice and some gay affectations.

As a white dude, racism is not something I've ever been accused of; I've had friends and sex partners from all races (in fact blacks have been somewhat over-represented in my sample). However, my wife and I only count two gays--a couple--in our circle of friends. One of them is white and the other Asian, but they are both incredibly racist towards blacks, Indians, Arabs, etc. This has always astonished me and there's been many times that my wife has had to restrain me when I've been really offended by the BS they were spewing. Because we only really know these two, i don't know how typical their views are, but it sure amazes me that ANY member of a minority could be so insensitive to other minorities.

As a white dude, racism is not something I've ever been accused of; I've had friends and sex partners from all races (in fact blacks have been somewhat over-represented in my sample). However, my wife and I only count two gays--a couple--in our circle of friends. One of them is white and the other Asian, but they are both incredibly racist towards blacks, Indians, Arabs, etc. This has always astonished me and there's been many times that my wife has had to restrain me when I've been really offended by the BS they were spewing. Because we only really know these two, i don't know how typical their views are, but it sure amazes me that ANY member of a minority could be so insensitive to other minorities.

How could you call someone like that friends. I would say something about Asians in front of them to see how they would react. I would also find out the white guys heritage and regardless of him being Irish or British or Polish I would say shit about them to and see if he liked it.