NYC Doctor

I've recently taken a job in NYC & I need to find a good doctor (general practitioner) here in New York. I'm hoping to find a gay-friendly doctor who's also sex-positive. Additionally, I'm very interested in finding a doctor who is open to prescribing PreP to his HIV Neg patients.

If you have any recommendations, please send me a private message. Thanks, guys!

• Administrators
Thanks, rawTOP. This is really helpful. I definitely want to investigate PreP as an option for myself as well. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experience as you move forward with it. Thanks again.

Taking PrEP has been completely uneventful. No side effects. It's nice knowing I've got the protection. I can be an even bigger pig and not worry about the risks I'm taking.

Taking PrEP has been completely uneventful. No side effects. It's nice knowing I've got the protection. I can be an even bigger pig and not worry about the risks I'm taking.

Great. That's exactly why I'd like to start taking it myself.

I'm going to see if I can schedule an appointment with Victor since he is familiar with it. Obviously he is a gay-friendly doctor. But was also comfortable talking about barebacking?

• Administrators
Great. That's exactly why I'd like to start taking it myself.

I'm going to see if I can schedule an appointment with Victor since he is familiar with it. Obviously he is a gay-friendly doctor. But was also comfortable talking about barebacking?

He's gay, not just gay-friendly. Not sure about him and bareback. I mentioned that I do and he didn't lecture me about it. But at the same time I was asking to go on PrEP - so maybe he's OK with it in that context.

Opens up another question -- I am on Tenofiver here for Hep B -- works well and virus has been undetectable for several years. Since that is half the contents of PreP, was wondering if it also works alone as a preventative for HIV? Anyone have any knowledge of that?

... It's nice knowing I've got the protection. I can be an even bigger pig and not worry about the risks I'm taking.

RT, I am thinking it is only risk reduction protocol, not protection "protection". Risk would still be there, however small. But it is nice there was no lecturing.

• Administrators
RT, I am thinking it is only risk reduction protocol, not protection "protection". Risk would still be there, however small. But it is nice there was no lecturing.

A bullet proof vest is considered protection even though you can get shot in the head or through an arm hole and die.

Never said the risk was zero, and I'm fine with becoming poz if it happens, but would prefer to stay neg - just don't prefer it enough to give up risky sex completely.

F.Y.I. Victor is also my doctor and while I haven't asked his opinion about PReP I did admit to "occasional" recreational syringe use. His response centered around concerns for clean and unshared needles and proper techniques. No lectures, just the facts.

• 4 weeks later...

I called Callen-Lorde & they are not taking new patients unfortunately. They will only see new patients if they are under 21 and/or HIV Poz (they test you before they provide any additional services). I left a message for their screening nurses to see if they could recommend any other NYC doctors but have not heard back.

I'm at square one again. So, if anyone knows of a good gay-friendly HIV/PrEP knowledgeable doctor in NYC outside of Callen-Lorde, please let me know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

• Administrators
I called Callen-Lorde & they are not taking new patients unfortunately. They will only see new patients if they are under 21 and/or HIV Poz (they test you before they provide any additional services).

Didn't know that... I know they struggle with funding and with keeping staff.

Didn't know that... I know they struggle with funding and with keeping staff.

Yes, they said they just have too many patients for the current number of doctors. They plan to hire additional staff, however they told me the soonest they envisioned taking new clients was in September. So, my search continues.