Life expectancy if I get pozzed at 23?

I've already made my choice about getting pozzed eventually, but just out of curiousity, how long can I expect to live if I take my meds properly and take care of myself? I know I keep hearing that life expectancy is almost as long as the general population these days, but that obviously depends on when you got infected. When they say its common to live to 60-70, are they talking about people who got it when they were already in their 30s (not taking into account the lack of treatment in past decades)? And, of course, in the next 40 years we're very likely to have a cure for this disease.

I've done a lot of thinking about it, and I honestly think I would be happy with a life span of 50-60 years. Even 40 years would be acceptable, but I mean its probably not going to be that short, as 17 years wouldn't be much better than the average life expectancy without meds, right?

I'm also very thankful that my province (Alberta) covers Atripla for everyone, free of charge. Then there's the recent Supreme Court decision that would allow me to continue having sex without disclosing my status, as long as I wrap it up.

Since you plans on meds anyway, why not PrEP now?

Not covered by Alberta Health Care iirc. I believe all they cover is Atripla. And, well, a big part of me does actually want to be pozzed.

why would you want to wear a condom? Guys will lie and say that you pozzed them raw

So I have a defense if the bottom runs to the police saying I pozzed him. I would need some kind of documentation, though.

yes, and the documentation is a used condom???? ha --- always fuck raw, always be verbal about what you've got

True. I think he'd have to prove that I didn't use a condom, actually. Had it mixed up. Burden of proof on the prosecution, and all that.

I've been reading that ironically, life expectancy of people with HIV actually exceeds the life expectancy of those without HIV. Pretty funny! The logic behind that is that in many cases, gay men tend to live a more healthy lifestyle than their heterosexual male counterparts. And so it is not really the HIV that increases the life expectancy, but the coincidence that many with HIV are also gay and practice healthy living.

http://www.aidsmap.com/Life-expectancy-now-considerably-exceeds-the-average-in-some-people-with-HIV-in-the-US/page/2816267/

Not covered by Alberta Health Care iirc. I believe all they cover is Atripla. And, well, a big part of me does actually want to be pozzed.

So I have a defense if the bottom runs to the police saying I pozzed him. I would need some kind of documentation, though.

If a guy is going to run to the police, he is worthless - You were both consenting adults - He took your load raw, his responsibility.

I've been reading that ironically, life expectancy of people with HIV actually exceeds the life expectancy of those without HIV. Pretty funny! The logic behind that is that in many cases, gay men tend to live a more healthy lifestyle than their heterosexual male counterparts. And so it is not really the HIV that increases the life expectancy, but the coincidence that many with HIV are also gay and practice healthy living.

http://www.aidsmap.com/Life-expectancy-now-considerably-exceeds-the-average-in-some-people-with-HIV-in-the-US/page/2816267/

Yes, but what I'm interested in is not so much life expectancy, but how much time I will live after testing poz. For example, if most of the people sampled were infected at age 40 and their life expectancy is 30 years, thats a lot different than if I had 30 years after being pozzed at 23.

Yes, but what I'm interested in is not so much life expectancy, but how much time I will live after testing poz. For example, if most of the people sampled were infected at age 40 and their life expectancy is 30 years, thats a lot different than if I had 30 years after being pozzed at 23.

Honestly you sounds incredibly naive right now. You say you have "made up your mind" about becoming poz, why? just because of bare sex? No offense, but chances are you are young dumb, and full of cum, and that's whats talking right now. Not your logical side. I'm assuming you are 23, you are still going to make some stupid decisions, I wouldnt make one you have forever.

Also you say that you are "okay" living to only 55-60, and whats funny is you say that now, but I almost guarantee you if the grim reaper came at that time you would be begging for more time. Ask anyone older. Life goes FAST. Im 30 now, and it only seems like yesterday I was starting undergrad. Ask anyone who is in their 50's or 60's and they will tell you as time passes it only goes faster.

Long story short, dont be dumb now and have to deal with it the rest of your life. Wait a year or so till PrEP is available in Canada then have more bare sex. You DON'T want to become poz.

Thanks for your advice, but I know what I want.

No, you dont. You have a fantasized idea of what you want.

and have you ever thought of stuff like,

*what if I dont respond to many treatments

*what if I fall in love with a neg man, who cant stomach being with a HIV+ guy

*what if I get some other illness that HIV makes MUCH worse (my friend got anal cancer at 28, after he tested HIV+)

*what if I get a fantastic opportunity somewhere else in the world, where getting medication may not be possible

*what if I regret my young and stupid thinking.

etc, etc, etc.

Food for thought, When I was 22, I wanted a kid really bad, and was actually sleeping with girls and not using condoms. Looking back, it would have been one of the worst decisions I ever could have made.

• Upvote 1