Life expectancy if I get pozzed at 23?

Yes, I have thought of those things. They have been discussed fairly frequently on here.

Regardless, I don't appreciate your tone or the fact that you think you know whats going on in my head.

My tone is honest, I'm not trying to berate you, and if it comes off that way I apologize, nothing I am saying is personal, its just fact. Guys at their sexual peak make stupid decisions in regards to sex, that's a fact, we all do. Of course there may be a cure in your lifetime, but there may also not be. a couple years after HIV was discovered doctors were confident they could get a cure or vaccine within a couple years, and its been 25 years since then.

The simple fact is HIV is a chronic illness, and willfully choosing to get that illness when you don't have too is not a logical thing to do. Especially with PrEP, which I an very confident will be available in Canada soon. I'm not saying I understand whats going on in your head, but you may want to do a self evaluation before you put yourself in a situation where you deal with something for life. And quite frankly despite what is glamorized on here HIV makes ANYONES life much more complicated, even sex, which you think it will free you to have as much as you want.

• Upvote 1

Great thread. I'm 21 so i'll be following this.

If you are neg go on PrEP now. There is no reason not to.

Despite what may be glorified on this site, there is NO, ZERO, ZIP, NADA, ZILCH benefit to becoming HIV+ Like I said before it just makes everything more difficult.

I'm neg on PrEP and dating an HIV+ undetectable guy right now. He would do ANYTHING to be neg again. The only reason we have a normal sex life is because of PrEP, and that I'm educated on HIV, and not scared of HIV+ people, most people are not so open.

PrEP is a game changer that allows a sex life without condoms with a low chance of acquiring HIV.

Its not about life expectancy, even with HIV people can lead (length wise) a pretty normal life, but it complicates everything else.

If you are neg go on PrEP now. There is no reason not to.

Sure there is. About 10,000 of them per year, in fact.

I'm not looking to start a fight, but you're being incredibly preachy despite your protestations to the contrary. I would appreciate if you'd respect other peoples' informed decisions. None of us here are minors (or so I hope). We can all think for ourselves.

I'm not looking to start a fight, but you're being incredibly preachy despite your protestations to the contrary. I would appreciate if you'd respect other peoples' informed decisions. None of us here are minors (or so I hope). We can all think for ourselves.

You can say I am being preachy, but I am just giving the information that I know, just because you dont like what you hear doesnt mean I am being preachy. In fact the only thing I have said that is even rude is "young dumb, and full of cum" and that is not meant to be disparaging, its a euphemism for very sexually vile young guys. I would have described myself like that at some point.

Secondly I don't follow you on the 10,000 per year...

lastly I posted this on the other thread, but answer this well and I will leave you alone:

Why become poz if you dont have to, and what benefit would I get by becoming HIV+ If anyone can give me a good logical answer to that question I will leave and never return. I also strongly implore you to actively ask yourself that same question.

Edited by wood

You can say I am being preachy, but I am just giving the information that I know, just because you dont like what you hear doesnt mean I am being preachy. In fact the only thing I have said that is even rude is "young dumb, and full of cum" and that is not meant to be disparaging, its a euphemism for very sexually vile young guys. I would have described myself like that at some point.

Secondly I don't follow you on the 10,000 per year...

lastly I posted this on the other thread, but answer this well and I will leave you alone:

Why become poz if you dont have to, and what benefit would I get by becoming HIV+ If anyone can give me a good logical answer to that question I will leave and never return. I also strongly implore you to actively ask yourself that same question.

$10,000/year, unless you live in a country with universal health care (of which many don't cover it anyway, even if it is available) or have good insurance.

$10,000/year, unless you live in a country with universal health care (of which many don't cover it anyway, even if it is available) or have good insurance.

okay well that alone (and I bet can even acknowledge this is a piss poor argument). Because your "solution" is to get the disease you are trying to prevent, and (in the case of the US) have the government pay for the drugs you now need to survive UNLESS you make over roughly 40k a year in which case you will probably pay close to that 10k level if not more, again, to LIVE, not just as prevention.

Also there is this.

https://breeding.zone/threads/23614-Low-Cost-(or-Free)-PrEP Most people pay little to nothing for PrEP. (I pay nothing)

http://www.northdrugstore.com/buy-Truvada.html or there is this, and you get the genaric version for $800 a year.

Get pozzed in your early twenties and your life expectancy is liable to be the same as other men of your age, possibly a little longer because poz guys get better medical attention than than the general population because the drugs aren't perfect. I hit lucky: I seroconverted in 1980 and I'm still here, but at the cost of damage done by many experimental therapies that focussed entirely on HIV... I'm the exception that proves the rule.

1998: "might cause diabetes?" I'll deal with that if and when it happens. It happened and it's more likely to kill me than HIV.

2011: Started tenofovir treatment. Ended up with severe kidney damage and osteopenia, the latter precluding my safety on a bike, difficult for a biker... Oh, and I came within days of death with that one. The damage is such that I'll never recover from it, so be nice to older guys in your local leather bar who need walking sticks...

That's just the major drug events. As late as 2008 I had cryptosporidiosis: constant 24 hour infectious diarrhoea for five weeks. I actually needed a new bathroom after that one.

And I know it's a cliche, but you could get run over and fatally injured this afternoon. Life expectancy is statistical guesswork. For all the pozzing stories (and I can assure you that mine are fantasy) there's a wild mix of fact and fiction here, the common thread being piggy sex. My entire adult life (I was 23 when I seroconverted and working for a gay helpline, and am now living alone at almost 57 -that's a hint, guys) has been taken up with HIV.

Bareback all you like, but do the best you can to minimise the risks: access to PrEP? Take it! A 17 year life expectancy without meds is optimistic to say the least: my first husband couldn't have caught it before 1983, yet he died in 1992. Yes, treatment for opportunistic infections have improved since then, but illness isn't about lying back on a couch looking pale and interesting like Camille as she died of "consumption": it's about knowing how to sit on the toilet (if you can get there) and still have your head over the washbasin so you're free to puke... it's about working out where you can grab onto to make a fall safer, It's having a stranger clean your shit up and wipe your ass.

Read the posts here more carefully: yes there's a strong fetish HIV in a lot of them, but I enjoy murder mysteries and manage not to go out knifing people. Learn the distinction between fantasy and fact.

Yes, I have thought of those things. They have been discussed fairly frequently on here.

Regardless, I don't appreciate your tone or the fact that you think you know whats going on in my head.

I don't understand your attitude to be honest, you came on to a forum and asked for opinions in relation to your query, yet when you get such expressed you take on a dismissive attitude to opinions expressed. I understand they might not be what you want to hear, but members done their best to lay down practical responses to your question. If you already have the answers in your head, and you already know what you want why do you bother using the forum for questions, use google and pick the answer you like. It is not fair to dismiss opinions of other members here, who in my opinion do their best to guide people in the right direction.

Guest JizzDumpWI
okay well that alone (and I bet can even acknowledge this is a piss poor argument). Because your "solution" is to get the disease you are trying to prevent, and (in the case of the US) have the government pay for the drugs you now need to survive UNLESS you make over roughly 40k a year in which case you will probably pay close to that 10k level if not more, again, to LIVE, not just as prevention.

Also there is this.

https://breeding.zone/threads/23614-Low-Cost-(or-Free)-PrEP Most people pay little to nothing for PrEP. (I pay nothing)

http://www.northdrugstore.com/buy-Truvada.html or there is this, and you get the genaric version for $800 a year.

I make more than 40 k and Truvada costs me nothing.

When I pozzed and quickly went to an aids diagnosis (1992), it was thought I'd live about 6 months. After 20+ years (while taking care of myself) I've heard that it takes about 10 years off your life. By the time you get to that, if you turn poz, it probably won't have an effect on your lifespan... however, you would likely be on meds the rest of your life.

Thanks, Mike, for succinctly stating what I and I'm sure many other guys believe. WE CAN ALL THINK FOR OURSELVES. Someone needed to say that. And $10K a year is more the norm for PrEP for most middle class guys. I have no quarrel with guys who want to do PrEP, but it's not a panacea, and it's not for me.

Thanks, Mike, for succinctly stating what I and I'm sure many other guys believe. WE CAN ALL THINK FOR OURSELVES. Someone needed to say that. And $10K a year is more the norm for PrEP for most middle class guys. I have no quarrel with guys who want to do PrEP, but it's not a panacea, and it's not for me.

You're believing what you want to believe.

And no 10k a year is NOT the norm for middle class guys. Almost EVERYONE qualifies for some level of assistance from gilead. I have a friend who makes well into the 6 figures, and he gets it for $30 after his insurance copay and gilead assistance.

And you say its not for you, but why? Give me a good argument, and I always shut up. But just like if anyone in here would say, I want MS, diabetes, Parkinsons, certain cancers etc, I would say you probably need to talk to a psychiatrist. People saying they don't care if they get HIV, and there is nothing they can do about it are just wrong.

Also PrEP is pretty much the closest thing to a cure or vaccine we have now. It will effectively prevent most infections. Even with its cost, if that's not a panacea, I don't know what is.

Of course its everyone choice to live their life the way they choose, and sure you can think for yourself, but that doesnt mean you are right, or even that what you think is right for you. There are plenty of people that make decisions for themself that end up being catastrophically wrong. I'm just giving more information and a bit of a reality check.