Fire island in July

Going to be 1-7july in fire island.... Staying at some place that sounds like real dump called botel or something.... Apparently I have to share room with like connecting room. Anybody been to fire island or to this hotel? What do u guys think? I personally think it's one of those overpriced gay islands.... Where there is lots of attitude.... And not enough fucking. Any thoughts?

Yes it is most certainly one of the MOST overpriced Gay Islands. Everything has to be ferried over. There isn't much to choose from for a short stay. BOTEL is about it in The Pines, the Belvedere is in Cherry Grove.

You'll get enough sex tho.. check out the MEAT RACK

If you have never been to Fire Island, you may be in for a shock at first. Most places on the island are dumps. Construction is just not the same as on the mainland. Everything has a "cabin" like feel. But once you get over the fact that your walls are actually plywood, you can relax into the casualness. Go for a walk thru the Meat Rack and you won't care anymore. What I like best is the lack of roads and cars. That is what makes it feel so much like an escape for me. The wooden walkways are the roads. Even the houses of people like Calvin Klein and Micheal Lucas are modest by most standards. It is all very UNpretentious. It is nothing like Key West or Ptown. But yes, it is overpriced, but then they only have 3-4 months to make a years income. I bet you will love it.

• Administrators

I was just out in the Pines this past weekend. My best friend bought a place on the ocean last fall - so I should be out there on an off throughout the summer.

Yes, it's absurdly expensive. One hint is to bring a lot of cash with you - the cash machines take 2-4%.

I stayed in the Boatel 20+ years ago, but my friend was saying they're changing things and creating "barracks" - rooms with 2 bunk beds where for $300/night you stay in a room with 3 complete strangers. That's an absurd $1200/night per room. I'm encouraging my friend to put bunks under his house for a semi-camping sorta of experience.

And as far as the quality of construction... Places are either dumps or really beautiful. My friend is going high end, but we went through the house next to him and it was in such bad condition that I found it rather depressing. I can't imagine paying $2,000 for a room there for a week.

That said, Fire Island can be a lot of fun. It's definitely a special place.

I agree with you that it is a special place. I hope my comments about my initial reaction didn't come off as I don't care for it. I love it there. For me, it is a complete escape from reality. An island where the roads are boardwalks and adults pull red wagons is cool. And woods where naked men meet 10 point bucks with the sounds of the ocean is fantasy land.

I was just out in the Pines this past weekend. My best friend bought a place on the ocean last fall - so I should be out there on an off throughout the summer.

Yes, it's absurdly expensive. One hint is to bring a lot of cash with you - the cash machines take 2-4%.

I stayed in the Boatel 20+ years ago, but my friend was saying they're changing things and creating "barracks" - rooms with 2 bunk beds where for $300/night you stay in a room with 3 complete strangers. That's an absurd $1200/night per room. I'm encouraging my friend to put bunks under his house for a semi-camping sorta of experience.

And as far as the quality of construction... Places are either dumps or really beautiful. My friend is going high end, but we went through the house next to him and it was in such bad condition that I found it rather depressing. I can't imagine paying $2,000 for a room there for a week.

Don't like to stay at dumps.... And specially overpriced ones..... A FB of mine is set on going there and I kind went with it but without much conviction...I'm sure I will regret it...don't even know if I will do it to be honest...

You definitely need to go. Just don't go with a snobbish attitude about the "rustic" accommodations. Once you get past that, you will find it very relaxing and sensual. Everyone should experience Fire Island at least once. Just keep an open mind and remember you are not going to P town or Key west. It's much better than both.

And bring plenty of bug spray! (also plenty of lube) You are going to be out there on a very busy week. Enjoy it. And enjoy the "Invasion" when the men from The Grove invade the Pines in drag! It is a lot of campy fun. And you should find plenty and plenty of sex. There's not much else to do, beach all day sex all night. That's Fire Island. it is what you make it.

just got a chuckle when i saw bringing "bug spray". Two antithetical thoughts came to mind. Wouldn't it be great if a bug spray could prevent hiv transmission? Or How many guys would want a bug spray to spread hiv? I guess it depends on your perspective and desires. Enjoy your tip.

Ohhh take me with you!

Usually I have some friends that get a quarter or half share in a place during the summer, not sure about this summer.

Is it overpriced? yes, Is it worth every penny? yes.

To the OP, yes the "hotel ciel" or botel is a shithole, and most people wont stay at it. the best thing to do is to find a person you know with a share, or try and look for someone who wants to rent out their share of a house for the week/weekend. Many of the places are also not fancy, but comfortable. Many have pools which is great for hanging out at when you are not at the beach.

What I love about Fire Island is how freeing it is. I didn't wear my trunks for the majority of the time I was there, and it didnt matter. Also unlike the scene in the village/Chelsea/hells kitchen, etc. I find the majority of the people in fire island to be much more laid back. Cherry grove is also worth a walk too, and is really nice in its own way. Ironically I have been there many times and only had sex once. For whatever reason it just isnt a priority when i am there, and Id rather just enjoy myself in other ways. With that said sex is EVERYWHERE. Also make friends with other people!! its a lot more fun to hop from house to house than to just sit at home once things die down at night. Most people are pretty open about other people visiting, but be warned, because space in bedrooms is at a premium, many people wont let you stay overnight. Its not personal, its just the way it is.

There really isn't another place like it on earth that I know of. Its so detached from reality that it really is its own little slice of heaven. You get a tad of the BS attitude from people in NYC, but not that much, and I have generally found people to be friendly. You also get the whole gamut of people there, from young twinks to older daddies and bears. Personally I *LOVE* Fire Island, and hope I get back this summer.

As others have noted, bring bug spray, lube, and condoms (if you do that, which I am speaking to the wrong crowd here, lol) Otherwise all you really need is swim gear, a couple shirts/shorts, sunscreen, and whatever consumables you desire. On that note, bring your liquor and food from the mainland unless you want to pay 1.5-2x the cost at the pines pantry.

Going to be 1-7july in fire island.... Staying at some place that sounds like real dump called botel or something.... Apparently I have to share room with like connecting room. Anybody been to fire island or to this hotel? What do u guys think? I personally think it's one of those overpriced gay islands.... Where there is lots of attitude.... And not enough fucking. Any thoughts?

overpriced? maybe, but its honestly so unique that I cant say that it is overpriced.

Not enough sex? well again, its about expectations. Its not a bathhouse, so if you just put yourself ass up in a room you will probably be disappointed. People in Fire Island like to be social, and also love sex, so if you are social, and want to hookup, It will happen, alot.

The Attitude is much less than NYC, but then again there are many people from NYC there, so its somewhere in the middle.

Guest NxNW

FI is wonderful. I love the ocean, the hot guys, hanging out with my friends. Was there two weekends last summer and will be back Labor Day weekend this year. Very expensive but worth it.

The Pines is more of the Chelsea crowd, while Cherry Grove is a bit more Long Island. They're both fun. And it is so, so easy to get laid.

just got a chuckle when i saw bringing "bug spray". Two antithetical thoughts came to mind. Wouldn't it be great if a bug spray could prevent hiv transmission? Or How many guys would want a bug spray to spread hiv? I guess it depends on your perspective and desires. Enjoy your tip.

There is a "bug spray" to prevent hiv transmission. It is called PrEP and even one to help after transmission called PEP. One should check with one's doctor. (By the way for PEP check as soon as possible after transmission. It is only effective when started approximately within 72 hours of transmission.) Wouldn't I love to have a nickel for every time these pills are used on Fire Island this summer.