Just got meds, nervous about them

So after months of grappling with health insurance issues (long story) and the possibility of taking ADAP, I finally got situated with a great health insurance plan and got my prescription for Stribild filled at the pharmacy.

My ID doctor ordered the prescription for 90 days. I got to the pharmacy and the woman behind the counter picked up the bag with my prescription. She almost fainted when she saw what the total was on it... $8,950!!! HOLY SHIT!!! She looked at me and said nervously, "you have new insurance right?" I gave her my new insurance info and she processed it. $8,950 turned into $120 out of my pocket.

When I got home, I took the meds out of the bag and put them away. I looked nervously at one of the bottles of Stribild. I know what to possibly expect as far as possible side effects (though I heard that with Stribild, they are relatively mild). I have two long work days ahead of me, so I think I'm going to start Monday in case the side effects kick my ass.

Though I should be relieved I finally got the meds in hand, I'm kind of thinking like, "eh, alright... Here goes the rest of my life. Gotta do this everyday and there's no going back." I'm just nervous about it.

Has anyone else felt this way when starting off fresh on meds?

YES ! Everyone feels that way. It sort of is the defining moment, when "it's all real"... This too shall PASS, my friend. Also look into Co-pay program from the drug company. you won't even have to pay the $40.00/month, at least for a year. I was on a Co-pay program for Atripla for like 3 years. It makes it more palpable !! Call/Text me if you need to talk.

:-)

Side effects are not compulsory!!! Make that your mantra. Your horror at receiving your prescription is something I've been through, have helped friends through for something like 30 years now. It will go away. Decide when's the best time to take the drugs (for me it's about about half-way down the first cup of tea of the morning, but then I'm Welsh). Keep a stock of imodium in your pocket "just in case" till your body adjusts and get on with the day: you'll be fine (well, maybe a little extra farting, but what guy doesn't have those days?)

I'm really pleased that you've gone from early diagnosis to treatment: You've got a long life ahead of you - just remember not to step out in front of buses! ;-)

I guess perspective is everything, change your attitude to one of these pills are going to save and prolong my life. With daily use you will stop the virus from destroying your system. Hopefully the side effects will be not manifest. I wish you a long and stress free life.

I couldn't wait to take mine. I wanted this shit dead. You probably won't even notice any side effects. They are mild and take a while for most of them to build up or be noticed. I never got diareaha or any of those. The only problem I had was that I was taking too much medication.

My ID doctor ordered the prescription for 90 days. I got to the pharmacy and the woman behind the counter picked up the bag with my prescription. She almost fainted when she saw what the total was on it... $8,950!!! HOLY SHIT!!! She looked at me and said nervously, "you have new insurance right?" I gave her my new insurance info and she processed it. $8,950 turned into $120 out of my pocket.

you think thats bad? I had a close family member have cancer and they went on neupogen....

From another site.

"Cost Per Injection, One 6 mg Neulasta injection will cost between $3,000 to $7000, depending on the supplier. "

i cant count how many my relative had..

• 5 weeks later...

i might have to start meds soon and im scared too

i'm mid 20s, 5'4 105 - under-weight but havent had any major health problems so far

im really scared about side effects..

even more anxious that it may not work as well to get viral load to undetectable

Same here, I will definetly ask my ID doc to put me on med

Did you get your detailed test results? Hopefully they tell you there's no resistance, and with their approval, you could start treatment now.

I'm finding out next Wednesday. If my viral load is high (+ low CD4 count) and I have no resistance, I will ask to get the meds right away. I wanna squash this little bug!

For Canadians : if I'm on public health care (RAMQ), does co-pay work the same way as in the US? Is it an option? I asked my therapist, but she said I would have to ask the pharmacist instead and apparently I need to register myself. But the website for most meds, say, Stribild, are all US based. If anyone has more information about co-pay assistance for someone living in Quebec, I appreciate your tips.

"Though I should be relieved I finally got the meds in hand, I'm kind of thinking like, 'eh, alright... Here goes the rest of my life. Gotta do this everyday and there's no going back.' I'm just nervous about it.

Has anyone else felt this way when starting off fresh on meds?

Absolutely, Poptronic. To quote Princess Irulan from introduction to the '84 movie Dune, "The beginning is a very delicate time." Just persevere - the nervousness will pass.

I LOVE that quote in this context. I will "borrow" it in my capacities as a Counselor...

Absolutely, Poptronic. To quote Princess Irulan from introduction to the '84 movie Dune, "The beginning is a very delicate time." Just persevere - the nervousness will pass.

So after months of grappling with health insurance issues (long story) and the possibility of taking ADAP, I finally got situated with a great health insurance plan and got my prescription for Stribild filled at the pharmacy.

poptronic, how was the first month on Stribild?

Did anything change in the first few days, or has it been almost unnoticeable?

Does the daily pill intake become mundane routine,

or do you still think sometimes that 'it's for the rest of your life'?

I wonder how quickly most guys get over the initial uneasiness.

Sorry for so many questions but I'm curious because my doctor says Stribild would probably be my meds if I don't have resistance.

It takes longer than a month for it to become mundane. At first, it is a daily reminder that you have HIV. Eventually it's just a pill you pop, and so uneventful that you can't remember that you took it. I think for most it's a year, to year and a half before it becomes "my special vitamins."