Multi Quote Option on reply

I see the Multi Quote option on the Reply in the threads. I've clicked it once or twice but am not really sure what is supposed to happen as it looks generally like the regular reply with quotes.

Is there some Trick to using that one? I've seen in many times in threads and stuff and I know rawTOP use's it a lot in replies he posts.

I managed to do it once but I manually entered the

around the text I wanted to do it to.

• Administrators

If you want to quote three people in your response, use Multi-Quote for the first two and Reply With Quote for the last one and you'll get the text of all three in the reply box instead of just one.

Multi-Quote works across pages and I believe even across threads.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...
On 6/4/2014 at 3:11 PM, rawTOP said:

Multi-Quote works across pages and I believe even across threads.

That has not been my experience. When I move to a new page, whatever I multiquoted from previous pages disappears. I've taken to copying my reply from the bottom of one page before I move onto a new page. Sometimes that works; sometimes it doesn't. The only way I've gotten it to work is to utilize two tabs on the same thread - the first tab collects all the mutli-quotes and my responses and the second tab moves through the pages of the thread. When I get to the end of a page in the second tab, I copy/paste it into my response in the other tab and then move to the next page. It really shouldn't be that difficult.... ☹️

• Upvote 1

@Ieatcumholes, I've gotten this to work only if I move one page at a time through a thread, from the first page containing a message that I quote, through the last page containing a message I want to quote. When I stop on each successive page (including intermediate pages not containing any messages I want to quote), I have to tap inside the editor. This restores what was there on the prior page (and displays an informational message, with an option to clear the editor and start fresh — not what I want).

This is in Safari on Apple iOS, with all content blockers and anti-tracking protections disabled. As Safari compatibility is rarely a priority for Web developers, I'm guessing this works in Chrome, too. Firefox and Edge compatibility also tend to be lower priorities, but one or both might also work. Disabling content blockers, anti-tracking protections, and extensions that do those things, is necessary.

I do like your workaround. For situations where it would be a pain to rebuild a series of quotes, copying and pasting the message is safe.

I just did it with a simple case.  Clicked multi-quote on page 2 and got a floater that said "1 copied quote", went to page 3, clicked quote on another message and got the quoted section in the new post edit box.  Then clicked on the floating box and got the first quote pasted.  I had to move them around since I got them in the wrong order, but that was pilot error.   It's a little clunky and @Ieatcumholes copy/paste method might be easier.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Wow... I've been a member for something like 10 years, and I'm a moderator, and I had NEVER noticed the multiquote option. In fact, I had to search for quite a while before I found it. Learn something new every day!

That said, while I was looking for it I did find that if I quote one post and write some text in the draft message, and then quote another post, it adds the second quote at the end of the draft, so that's another option, e.g. if you don't know in advance which posts you want to quote.

• Upvote 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.