Hepatitis B and PrEP

One thing to remember is that whilst the hep b vaccine is for life, the hep a vaccine isn't and from memory has a relatively short span (3 -6 months???)
That's not quite correct.

From the CDC website: Immune globulin is available for short-term protection (approximately 3 months) against Hepatitis A, both pre- and post-exposure. Immune globulin must be administered within 2 weeks after exposure for maximum protection.

Immune globulin contains antibodies taken from donated human blood. It is used as Post Exposure Prophylaxis for Hep A, and as a form of PrEP when you are travelling to a place where Hep A is common, and haven't previously received vaccinations.

(PrEP is a generic term -- Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis -- a preventative before you are exposed to a contagion. All vaccinations are a form of PrEP. Out community has co-opted the term as a short hand reference for "Truvada used as PrEP against HIV." Eventually there will be additional drugs available for PrEP against HIV. The term PrEP can be used in other contexts that have no connection to HIV.)

A vaccination causes our immune system to produce its own antibodies for the specific disease.

From the CDC website: How long does protection from Hepatitis A vaccine last?

A recent review by an expert panel, which evaluated the projected duration of immunity from vaccination, concluded that protective levels of antibody to HAV could be present for at least 25 years in adults and at least 14–20 years in children.

Most of you are probably too young to remember this, but before HIV, Hep B was the thing gay men feared. Because it was so common in the gay community, blood drives were held targeting us, so they could collect the antibodies for Immune Globulin. There were also vaccinations campaigns.

Early in the GRID/AIDS crisis, some feared that what we now know as HIV might be transmitted in the vaccinations. (It wasn't) Conspiracy theorists claimed the government was engaged in germ warfare experiments, by infecting they gay community through the vaccination campaigns.

Gentlemen: A few of you have mentioned you were exposed to Hep B before and either it passed your body with out any complications (CDC says most have this reaction - especially if an adult) or some of you had treatment. For those of you who had it or dealt with it, how was it treated? What was your person experience regarding effects on you as well as the treatment perspective.

You can get vaccinated for hep A and HEP B. Discuss that with your doc today...

The chronic Hepatitis is HEP C. But there are treatments for that...

Yup, I'm vaccinated for Hep A and B, and it lasts for like 20-25 years. It is pretty stupid not to take the vaccination. Hep C is the bad one you cannot prevent yet.

Hep a vaccine does not last for long. A group of us where I worked were inoculated against it when a workmate was diagnosed. Approximately 6 months later I was out of the city on a field trip.. last night we went Italian and I got it from some dodgy seafood (confirmed by our state health group).

Have also been exposed to hep b. I had no symptoms and at no stage did I feel ill.

I got diagnosed with hep B while in my 20`s , I`m 52 y/o now. When I got sick I felt awful , fatigue , pain inI the joints and abdominal pain. When I got over the sickness I felt alright, I drank heavily till 7 years ago, I quit, a year ago I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. I want to get knocked up with HIV now.