I just tested negative for HIV, but now what?

Today I went for an HIV test and the result was negative. I was nervous because a few weeks ago I spent a weekend in saunas in Montreal and the action had been hot. On my way to the test I was thinking of what would I feel if I tested poz? I would probably want to spend some time in the saunas and this time I wouldn't worry a bit.

So, I tested negative and now what? Stay HIV negative by avoiding anon sex and bareback or go back to saunas and darkrooms? Not much point in testing then?

If PrEP is available to you, go for it. It will allow you to continue your present sex life without the risk. Believe me, you do not want HIV. As well as the pain of other opportunistic infections there are also the long term effects. Essentially my skeleton is twenty years older than I am: osteoporisis. I have constant pain from neuropathy, some of it caused by early drugs, yes, but the rest of it caused by HIV. Early drugs caused my diabetes, though even with the current drugs, diabetes is still a possibility. One pill a day, as opposed to my thirty. You sound an ideal candidate for PrEP (lucky bastard!) - protect yourself, and whoever you're fucking with.

If PrEP is available to you,...

I don't get a good reaction when I mention it during my routine STI tests. I don't insist because I'm not that keen myself about going on PrEP.

...go for it. It will allow you to continue your present sex life without the risk. Believe me, you do not want HIV.

I definitely do not want HIV in my body because I'm fully aware that being HIV+ would complicate my life. I've never heard of HIV making a guy's life easier. I say this so young guys reading this think more than twice before being the bottom in an anon gangbang. I know many guys glorify their HIV infection and feel proud about being poz. I would too but I would be one of those poz guys who makes it clear tha HIV is not a good thing.

I have now slowed down with my sexual activity and I do have regular fuck buddies too. Five years ago I would have been a good candidate because then I was having lots of anon sex. I don't know how I haven't converted. Been really lucky

• Upvote 1

Difficult question that - being proud to be poz... Makes it sound kinda attractive. I've come to the conclusion that I'm proud of me for dealing with being poz (look in the old posts, you'll find many where I'm equivocal). I got my biohazard tattoo before the diabetes got to the nerve that keeps the dick hard - my idea was that it identified me as poz to anyone at a play party and if they'd rather not, well I didn't fancy him anyway. Now it's basically an "up yours" to the haters (it's on the back of my neck and no matter what I wear, part of it is visible). My pride in being poz is the antithesis of being ashamed of it.

I'd give more thought to PrEP: negative guys seem to respond differently to truvada. Yes, there are risks, but there are risks crossing the road. I used to use the biking comparison for risk, but one day I totalled my Suzuki Bandit, getting out of it with only a broken ankle. Shit happens. So do neuropathy and osteoporosis... :( If this is the joy and freedom of being poz and fucking whoever/whenever, why am I usually in bed by ten with a book, why do I walk with a stick, and why do I have to have friends do jobs for me that I could quite well have managed a few years ago before my health went down the pan after twenty years of careful medication? He asks in bad example mode... :)

If you're sure of your fuck buddies, fine. For me If I was just coming out now I'd want PrEP because of this dreadful secret: some men lie to get what they want... :)

I feel like PrEP should get equal (if not more) publicity than condoms. Every gay guy should at least know it's an option. Most don't. I've been told by my clinic that over 3 quarters of guys who come in for tests are deemed 'high risk' (sexually active, with one or more high-risk occurrence in the past 3 months). Yet, only a small minority agrees to go with PrEP. Sadly, those people are likely the ones who come back later, then get diagnosed with HIV.

I myself didn't hear about PrEP until recently. It's indeed new, not widely accepted, and not available everywhere. But as a young poz in my 20s, I already regret that I didn't go all-out to inform myself. That piece of information could potentially have prevented my situation. As you said, hungry_hole, all it takes is a single contact. Talk to your doctor about PrEP and don't hesitate to consider it. The worse that can happen is that you experience side effects, then change your mind and stop. There's no long term commitment there.

I wish I had known about PrEP before hand. I had no idea about it. Granted, I also never took the time to research HIV or anything about it. I just told myself when I started I would use condoms and be safe. The first time came around and he refused a condom, I didn't have a problem with it, and I never optioned to use any after that. A black guy used one on me, though I didn't like it one bit.

Maybe it they would give PrEP more publicity then lots wouldn't be so scared. I know of both the clinics I have used, there's no signs promoting PrEP, nor do the doctors or nurses mention it.

I don't get a good reaction when I mention it during my routine STI tests. I don't insist because I'm not that keen myself about going on PrEP.
PM me the name of that clinic, and I'll write a letter of complaint. If someone asks about PrEP, because they ARE taking risks, it IS the clinic's JOB to be neutral, and present factual information. For that matter it is their job to discuss ANY HIV prevention method on which the client requests info, even one's they don't endorse. (Bet you they'd wrinkle their nose at "serosort to undetectable" too.)

Health Canada has not approved Truvada for PrEP, because Gilead has not even applied for that approval. Doctors CAN and ARE prescribing PrEP as an off-label use.

In Quebec it is covered by the provincial drug plan (the only province that has that). The co-pay is $80 a month.

I know someone in Toronto who has it covered 100%.

Out here in Alberta, an friend recently picked up his first batch of Truvada. His drug benefit plan, through work, covers 80% for all meds. I believe he said his co-pay is $200. Next time we talk I'll ask if that is per month, or per refill.

As part of your decision process, check if your drug plan will cover it, and how much is the co-pay.

Most people tolerate Truvada very well. Some experience headaches in the first weeks. Some have an upset tummy in the beginning. But those go away. Any potential kidney or liver problems would be caught by the tri-monthly tests. Any "damage" done during the three months since the last test, reverses itself when the drug is stopped. The only way you'll know IF you'll have side effects is to try it. If you have a reaction - stop. You also need to ask yourself, which is going to have potentially worse side effects, PrEP or a three drug HAART regime.

There is a commercial getting heavy airplay that sounds exactly like this discussion. The guy refuses to taste an almond flavoured Soy beverage, because he doesn't know what it will taste like. But he can't know how it tastes, until he actually drink some. In the end, he has a glass, and likes it.

I understand the benefits of PrEP but I see it as such an extreme measure. Sort of like me taking antibiotics so I won't catch Syphilis.
When my CD4 count was very low, they gave me antibiotics as a prophylaxis for PCP phenomena. How is PrEP any different? If you were travelling to Africa, you'd get shots for malaria, wouldn't you? You've had shots where they put dead bacteria and viruses into your body. (That's what vaccinations are - right?) If looked at from that perspective, don't vaccinations sound extreme?

Have a PM or phone chat with some of the guys here who are on PrEP. Read Jake Sobo's "My Life on PrEP" blog, and his "Promiscuous Gay Nerd" articles on the Beta Blog.

I know it sounds like we're pushing. It's because we care. Several of us have spent a lot of time talking to newly diagnosed guys, trying to calm them down.

All the Canadians on this message board should to start pressuring Gilead to extend their co-pay program North of the border. Yes, even if you're Poz, or never have any intention of taking PrEP! We NEED to harass them at a corporate level. I don't know if their US co-pay assistance program phone number works from Canada - but it's worth trying. Their assistance program website says "The Gilead Co-Pay Coupon Card is available only to residents of the United States or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. If you would like to discuss further, please call 1-877-505-6986." We DO want to discuss it!

We must phone, email, and send good old fashioned postal mail to Gilead's Canadian head office too.

Gilead Sciences Canada, Inc.

Suite 600, 6711 Mississauga Rd.

Mississauga, ON

L5N 2W3

Canada

(905) 363-8008 or

(866) 565-5409

Maybe some of our American buds, especially those already on PrEP, should call the US number and say you've extolled the virtues of PrEP to a Canadian friend, but he can't afford to get it because of the insurance deductible. Ask why they don't offer the same deal you received to Canadians. Your Canadian friend needs protection from HIV too.

A little grass roots movement can only help. If we don't make a fuss, Gilead won't take any action.

Edited by Poz1956
  • Upvote 1

PM me the name of that clinic, and I'll write a letter of complaint. If someone asks about PrEP, because they ARE taking risks, it IS the clinic's JOB to be neutral, and present factual information.

Next Thursday I will pay a visit to a clinic where they do all the tests at once and I will then inquire more about PrEP.

As I said before, the last time I brought up the issue of PrEP I wasn't very clear. I never asked about the possibility of going on PrEP. I may ask this time.

Guess what, I'll be going back to Montreal and I will be staying at the sauna GI-Joe once again. I will be meeting with some bottoms who want to be whored out but I'm sure I'll also get a chance myself to bottom. If I can get the same sling room it would be great because from the door a guys walk by all they see is the ass on the sling.

So got tested, and now who knows. Start all over again. I know I'm not the only one in this situation so I'm not feeling sorry for myself.

• 2 months later...

The prep, Truvada is allowing many more guys to go bareback.   It opens up a lot more raw ass to fuck and seed.  So Truvada is great for those fucking around.   The only issue is it must be taken for life.  It can get expensive over time. 

Yup, PrEP can get expensive over time, and so can food, gas for your car, coffee and smokes. It's called living. As far as PrEP's side effects are concerned, I've been on it for 5 months and counting with no side effects. I take it every morning when I get up along with my cup of coffee. If you are bottoming with a lot of guys youy NEED to find a clinic/doctor who will prerscribe PrEP and get on it ASAP or eventually you will test poz. If your doc or his/her nurse seems anti-PrEP YOU need to find another doc! As far as your age is concerned, it sounds like we are similar in age...so what. HIV doesn't care about your age. Lastly, you seem to argue against every suggestion that has been made....although you originally asked for feedback/recommendations. If you are hell bent on getting pozed, then go for it..or take the time and effort to protect yourself.

A few weeks before his appointment, Dr. Demetre Daskalakis, the new head of New Your City's Bureau of HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control, said that Doctors who refuse to perscribe PrEP are committing malpractice.  That's a pretty strong statement.  Might be something worth quoting if you run into a physician who is resistant to prescribing PrEP.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I don't have enough sex nowadays as to justify taking PReP every day. But I spent a month in Chile, South America, where I had a fair amount of sex. Unlike Canada where most guys have a place to get together for sex, in South America many times guys live with their extended family and need a place to go for sex: The saunas! Friday nights and Saturday nights one of the saunas is absolutely packed with horny guys. I rarely see a packed sauna in Canada these days. But also online using Grindr one can get a lot of action if one has a place. I had so it was great.

But now I'm back on the waiting game. Waiting for the 12 weeks of my last trip to the sauna  so I can test for HIV. Although I didn't get a fuck flu, testing positive would not be a total surprise. And this is where I get a glimpse of guys who wanna convert. What would I do and how would I react if I tested poz? I'd like to think that I would be in the mood for lots of raunchy sex once I know I'm poz. Then maybe being a top would be a turn-on, who knows.