I just tested negative for HIV, but now what?

Today I went for an HIV test and the result was negative. I was nervous because a few weeks ago I spent a weekend in saunas in Montreal and the action had been hot. On my way to the test I was thinking of what would I feel if I tested poz? I would probably want to spend some time in the saunas and this time I wouldn't worry a bit.

So, I tested negative and now what? Stay HIV negative by avoiding anon sex and bareback or go back to saunas and darkrooms? Not much point in testing then?

• Upvote 1

Today I went for an HIV test and the result was negative. I was nervous because a few weeks ago I spent a weekend in saunas in Montreal and the action had been hot. On my way to the test I was thinking of what would I feel if I tested poz? I would probably want to spend some time in the saunas and this time I wouldn't worry a bit.

So, I tested negative and now what? Stay HIV negative by avoiding anon sex and bareback or go back to saunas and darkrooms? Not much point in testing then?

Well if it was a few weeks ago you are well within the window period, so you are not exactly out of the woods yet. you really need PrEP, and there is some evidence that some doctors in canada will prescribe it.

http://www.catie.ca/en/catienews/2014-06-10/uptake-prep-united-states?utm_source=tce&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=061114

If I were you I would try and find a doctor who will give you PrEP. You really should try and stay neg. IMO that would mean curtailing your activities a bit until you can get on it.

Guest JizzDumpWI

A dilemma... But you are learning about yourself, and that you prefer not to become poz. For openers, understand that your test is not your HIV status now, but as of about three months ago. Your next test in three months will more closely indicate where you are vis-a-vis HIV now. Unless your Montreal time was more than three months back, your status is still "don't know".

So now what? You can get a more thorough test, actually looking for the virus in a couple of weeks. Since PrEP is not an option for you, you can serosort but probably not in the popular way. Choose poz guys who have been on meds and undetectable for a good half year, or more. This is TasP, treatment as protection. Eventually PrEP will be approved in Canada and when it is, get on it. If there are studies in your area, try to participate remembering TasP until you know you're on the real drug and not a placebo.

To your point of worry. It will never help. You can take action, or not - but worry itself never does anything save make you feel crappy. When I was in your position I went for the poz undetectable guys. Too many give them a pass, and take the riskier path as a result.

JDW

If I were you I would try and find a doctor who will give you PrEP. You really should try and stay neg. IMO that would mean curtailing your activities a bit until you can get on it.

I was talking to the nurse who did my HIV test about PrEP and I don't think that it will be available in Canada any time soon. And in a way I agree because I don't know if I would put myself through PrEP, side effects etc.

If I were younger, like so many of the newly poz young guys here, I may have considered PrEP. More sexual activity, more years ahead of me, etc. I'm still having anon sex and I know all you need is one contact, but never the amount of sex I had earlier.

• Administrators

I'm guessing you're a bit hooked on anonymous sex (it's addictive). I say go back to the saunas and enjoy yourself. You only go around once.

Testing isn't so much about knowing you're neg - it's about knowing when you become poz so you can get treatment in a timely manner. If you give up on staying neg you should still get tested every year or so - definitely don't let more than two years go between tests.

I was talking to the nurse who did my HIV test about PrEP and I don't think that it will be available in Canada any time soon. And in a way I agree because I don't know if I would put myself through PrEP, side effects etc.

If I were younger, like so many of the newly poz young guys here, I may have considered PrEP. More sexual activity, more years ahead of me, etc. I'm still having anon sex and I know all you need is one contact, but never the amount of sex I had earlier.

Are you sure PrEP isn't offered at another clinic in your area? It's something I would seriously consider (speaking as a newly poz who didn't seek it). I think the benefits of PrEP outweigh the side effects from the meds (and that's assuming you have any side effect at all). You get peace of mind, plus another incentive to get tested regularly and keep your overall health in check. Where I live, for example, PrEP is offered at L'Actuel in Montreal. The staff seemed very 'pro' about this new trend.

If you can get hold of PrEP, the side effects, which are not compulsory - less than 20% have them, in HIV negative guys seem to run to nothing more than a bit of nausea and a bit of diarrhoea. Really nothing more than a few days of that fish you got out of the freezer and thought was alright. It's true that tenofovir can cause kidney problems, but any physician in a position to prescribe truvada will be thoroughly aware of the markers to look for, at which point your PrEP prescription ends while your kidneys recover. PrEP is a single pill a day - if I were negative and on PrEP I'd wash it down with my morning cuppa tea - and a big weight off your mind. You have the bonus of regular health checks, more thorough than usual, and better observation of your physical health.

Yes, if you go back through the archives you'll find some posts from me that are very anti PrEP, but I've changed my mind to the extent that I wish to fuck that the authorities here would just accept the USA experience and permit its use.

Hungry, you really need to go on an all out campaign to find and get on PrEP. As jtonic suggests, it appears to be available at some locals w/in Canada. in the US, PrEP has been available for the past couple of years (approved by the FDA) and is covered by almost all insurance companies. I have been on it for 3 months and like most folk have had no side effects (and i'm hardly a youngee).

Hungry, you really need to go on an all out campaign to find and get on PrEP. As jtonic suggests, it appears to be available at some locals w/in Canada. in the US, PrEP has been available for the past couple of years (approved by the FDA) and is covered by almost all insurance companies. I have been on it for 3 months and like most folk have had no side effects (and i'm hardly a youngee).

I feel like PrEP should get equal (if not more) publicity than condoms. Every gay guy should at least know it's an option. Most don't. I've been told by my clinic that over 3 quarters of guys who come in for tests are deemed 'high risk' (sexually active, with one or more high-risk occurrence in the past 3 months). Yet, only a small minority agrees to go with PrEP. Sadly, those people are likely the ones who come back later, then get diagnosed with HIV.

I myself didn't hear about PrEP until recently. It's indeed new, not widely accepted, and not available everywhere. But as a young poz in my 20s, I already regret that I didn't go all-out to inform myself. That piece of information could potentially have prevented my situation. As you said, hungry_hole, all it takes is a single contact. Talk to your doctor about PrEP and don't hesitate to consider it. The worse that can happen is that you experience side effects, then change your mind and stop. There's no long term commitment there.

I understand the benefits of PrEP but I see it as such an extreme measure. Sort of like me taking antibiotics so I won't catch Syphilis. As I said before my opinion would be different if I were young .

I'm guessing you're a bit hooked on anonymous sex (it's addictive). I say go back to the saunas and enjoy yourself. You only go around once.

Anonymous sex is for me the best kind of sex, the type of sex I never get tired of. Always a new situation, a new intereaction.

I understand the benefits of PrEP but I see it as such an extreme measure. Sort of like me taking antibiotics so I won't catch Syphilis. As I said before my opinion would be different if I were young .

Anonymous sex is for me the best kind of sex, the type of sex I never get tired of. Always a new situation, a new intereaction.

how is it extreme? People take TONS of medications all the time for all sorts of conditions. Truvada is very well tolerated, and has a VERY low side effect profile, even lower than tylenol. so why not? I understand you are not young but HIV complications just increase as you get older.

Guest JizzDumpWI

No more extreme than birth control... Similar intention, preventing becoming a host organism (fetus or HIV).

No more extreme than birth control... Similar intention, preventing becoming a host organism (fetus or HIV).

Good example. I'll go one better. I give my dog meds to prevent fleas for pete's sake. Bet you do too. Why is everyone so god damn up tight about the idea of taking a pill to prevent a fucking potentially fatal infection! It's 2014 people! Treatment as Prevention is the way of the future. Get on board. You want fleas?

• Upvote 1

hungry_hole : I guess it boils down to personal choice.

Personally, had I known about PrEP a year ago, I would've done it in a heartbeat.

But you seem well aware of the risk / benefit, so at least you're taking an informed decision.

Good example. I'll go one better. I give my dog meds to prevent fleas for pete's sake. Bet you do too. Why is everyone so god damn up tight about the idea of taking a pill to prevent a fucking potentially fatal infection! It's 2014 people! Treatment as Prevention is the way of the future. Get on board. You want fleas?
Well said!