Im Pretty Sure I Got Infected :(

Ive taken poz loads before, but they were undetectable and all my tests came back negative. But yesterday I took two poz loads from a guy who isn't on meds. He's been poz for four years and his doctor said he doesn't have to take meds right now. I don't know his viral load, I just know his CD4 is over 700. I know i most likely got infected, but is there still even a slight chance that i didn't get infected? I know it's my fault, but I really don't want to convert. I try to play safe but I can't. I enjoy bareback but I don't want to play raw anymore, i just can't stop and it sucks. And I want to enlist in the military but i won't be able to if I'm poz. Please tell me there is still a chance I'm negative :(

• Administrators

If he's been poz for 4 years chances are his viral load is "relatively" low – so yes, there's definitely a chance you didn't get infected. But if you keep going back for more, you will get it eventually.

If you want to stay neg, you can start PEP within 36 hours of the first load he gave you. After that it's too late. And I'd suggest you seriously think about PrEP.

I looked into PEP, but I can't afford it. I also looked into PrEP, but I don't have insurance so there's no way I can afford that either. I just want to stop barebacking, at least until I'm in the military and/or older. Hopefully I don't sound like I'm condemning barebacking, i love bb. It's just not what I want right now.

Anyways, thanks for replying. 

• Administrators

I looked into PEP, but I can't afford it. I also looked into PrEP, but I don't have insurance so there's no way I can afford that either. I just want to stop barebacking, at least until I'm in the military and/or older. Hopefully I don't sound like I'm condemning barebacking, i love bb. It's just not what I want right now.

If you're in a major urban area the health department or bigger STD clinics will usually know how to get you PEP for free.

Anyways, thanks for replying. 

read the post below, if you are in any major urban area, or near it, go to the city clinic TODAY, and get on PEP.  While its far from certain you will be infected, PEP will drastically reduce those risks.  

FYI also gilead's program for people who want to get PrEP covers almost anyone regardless of ability to pay, if you are going to play bare, and don't want to be infected, you better get on it. 

Guest JizzDumpWI

I live near Salt Lake City and I couldn't find any place that could help me with PEP. But if I'm still negative, I'll definitely look into the Gilead program. Thanks for the info.

Even your local emergency room in SLC can put you on PEP. There surely are STD clinics there that can do the same.

Edited by JizzDumpWI

I live near Salt Lake City and I couldn't find any place that could help me with PEP. But if I'm still negative, I'll definitely look into the Gilead program. Thanks for the info.

http://slco.org/slcohealth/programs/stdHivClinic/

https://www.utahpridecenter.org/

I will say this.. If you dont heavily look into your options NOW and you become infected its likely your fault.  Not trying to be rude, but for medical emergencies there is almost always some help available.  Choosing to not do all the research you can, and getting all the help you can is your choice, but if you become infected because of it, well thats on you.  

With that said I am not saying you will become infected, the chance is actually against it, but you seem pretty damn worried about it.  

For me, I didn't bareback often until PrEP came out.... PrEP changed that completely. lol  

• Upvote 2

I will simply echo what most people already said:

Don't overlook PEP. Find a way to get it now.

The truth is, at the moment, you no longer know your status.

So don't leave it to chance. You still have control right now.

Give a quick call to Utah Aids Foundation or Utah Pride Center.

Based on where you are, they will refer you to the right place.

The Truvada® for PrEP Medication Assistance Program assists eligible HIV-negative adults in the United States who do not have insurance obtain access to Truvada (emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate) for PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis). To find out if you are eligible for this medication assistance program, call 1-855-330-5479, Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. (Eastern). - See more at: http://www.gilead.com/responsibility/us-patient-access/truvada%20for%20prep%20medication%20assistance%20program#sthash.ot5ddqkS.dpuf

PEP is standard in US emergency medicine. There is a CDC guideline for it. Any hospital emergency room in the country should be able to provide it. And by law (the Reagan-era Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, one of whose more familiar provisions allows people to pay to continue their health insurance when they leave a job), emergency room treatment is provided without regard for ability to pay. Insist!

• Upvote 1