Ever Had Mono?

Guest PozGoat

Guest PozGoat

Mononucleosis. Often called "The Kissing Disease".

A contagious viral infection.

I caught mono in 1998 and I thought it was going to kill me. It was a 3week long bad flu akin to my poz fuck-flu symptoms. I HIV converted sometime around 2007. I was of course, HIV neg when I had mono in 98. My hiv fuckflu lasted about 2 weeks, mono's bad flu-like symptoms lasted 3-4 weeks.

Point of this thread..

I am a full believer that mono is an std/sti.

It rarely ever gets brought up in sti discussions. It is kind of a forgotten disease of sorts.

Anyone here on BZ ever had it? Curious, what year did you have it?

I am almost 100% sure that I caught mono while fucking in a adult bookstore in Cedar Rapids Iowa, back in 98. A couple weeks later I came down with horrid flu-like symptoms and I thought I was possibly poz at that time. I went to my doc when the flu symptoms got bad and blood tests discovered it was mono. It was a full std test also, including hiv, neg at the time.

Curious, is mono common nowadays at all? I haven't heard of anyone having it for years..

Ugh, I had mono last year.  I just thought I wasn't feeling good and kept working and pushing myself.  Well collapsing on the floor at work got me sent to the van (we were working in Iowa that day) and when I got back to WI, I went and saw the doctor, the very next day was told I tested for mono and had the next week off of work. 

The doctor I saw said he believed mono is a form of sti just by the nature of how you catch it, not every one will show systems if they have it but can differently spread it though.  I probably got it from one of the few hookups just weeks prior.

I had mono 3 years ago when I was 19, it was the worst illness I ever had. I too thought I was gonna die. I know the guy who passed it to me, it was a hook up we kissed a lot and after 3-4 weeks I got seek. I never saw him again nor heard of him.

Guest PozGoat

Had mono, when I was 21. Got it from my girlfriend I guess, though she never got sick. It was pretty bad, and was pretty low energy for nearly a year after. 

Thanks for replying because you touched on some important facts. I think a big reason the disease continues to spread is because many don't get sick or show symptoms while they carry the contagious virus. Then, there's people like us who get very sick from it.

Some get sick, some don't. Weird disease.

Also, some who get sick had a very long, slow recovery, like you alluded to in your case. Many people suffer the after affects of mono as you described for 6+ months, in your case, a year.

Reading your reply and others that have replied in this thread shows that mono is still out there and people are getting it nowadays, your case being about 5 years ago.

Edited by PozGoat

• Moderators

I had it when I was a little kid. I had just turned 6 and I was sick for almost a month. My mom eventually told me that they were afraid I might die at the worst of it. Who knows how a first grader caught it? 

Guest bearbackgemini

Yeah I got it in the 4th grade, and was out of school dot about a month. No one knows how I got it. All I remember was being flu sick and sleeping constantly.

Mononucleosis. Often called "The Kissing Disease".

A contagious viral infection.

I caught mono in 1998 and I thought it was going to kill me. It was a 3week long bad flu akin to my poz fuck-flu symptoms. I HIV converted sometime around 2007. I was of course, HIV neg when I had mono in 98. My hiv fuckflu lasted about 2 weeks, mono's bad flu-like symptoms lasted 3-4 weeks.

It rarely ever gets brought up in sti discussions. It is kind of a forgotten disease of sorts.

Anyone here on BZ ever had it? Curious, what year did you have it?

I haven't heard of anyone having it for years..

Thanks for replying because you touched on some important facts. I think a big reason the disease continues to spread is because many don't get sick or show symptoms while they carry the contagious virus. Then, there's people like us who get very sick from it.

Some get sick, some don't. Weird disease.

Also, some who get sick had a very long, slow recovery, like you alluded to in your case. Many people suffer the after affects of mono as you described for 6+ months, in your case, a year.

Reading your reply and others that have replied in this thread shows that mono is still out there and people are getting it nowadays, your case being about 5 years ago.

I had mono at 18 when I was a freshman in college.  It is indeed fairly contagious, but like you said, some people get very sick, others have nothing or very mild symptoms.  I was sleepy, and felt a bit under the weather, but nothing drastic.  I know others that got very sick for weeks.

From wikipedia, this kind of explains it.

Just because it can be spread by close contact I wouldnt lump it into the STD catagory.  it can also be spread by drinking from the same cup, therefore, while sexual transmission can be a factor, its not the primary transmission vector.  Also things like kissing, are not considered "sexual" contact, but simply intimate contact.   

Infectious mononucleosis (IM; also known as mono, glandular fever, Pfeiffer's disease, Filatov's disease,[1] and sometimes colloquially as the kissing disease from its transmission by saliva) is an infectious, widespread viral disease most commonly caused by the Epstein–Barr virus (EBV), one type of herpes virus, against which over 90% of adults are likely to have acquired immunity by the age of 40.[2][3] Occasionally, the symptoms can recur at a later period.[2] Most people are exposed to the virus as children, when the disease produces no noticeable or only flu-like symptoms. In developing countries, people are exposed to the virus in early childhood more often than in developed countries. As a result, the disease in its observable form is more common in developed countries. It is most common among adolescents and young adults.

Especially in adolescents and young adults, the disease is characterized by fever, sore throat and fatigue, along with several other possible signs and symptoms. It is primarily diagnosed by observation of symptoms, but suspicion can be confirmed by several diagnostic tests. It is generally a self-limiting disease, and little treatment is normally required.

Acute HIV infection can mimic signs similar to those of infectious mononucleosis
Edited by wood

Guest PozGoat

We who have passed this disease continue to spread it once in a while. Even though we have our antibodies, the viral loads happens to reach a peak at times during our lives and we spread it without knowing it. 

Very true and an important fact. Thanks for adding.

Guest PozGoat

I had mono at 18 when I was a freshman in college.  It is indeed fairly contagious, but like you said, some people get very sick, others have nothing or very mild symptoms.  I was sleepy, and felt a bit under the weather, but nothing drastic.  I know others that got very sick for weeks.

From wikipedia, this kind of explains it.

Just because it can be spread by close contact I wouldnt lump it into the STD catagory.  it can also be spread by drinking from the same cup, therefore, while sexual transmission can be a factor, its not the primary transmission vector.  Also things like kissing, are not considered "sexual" contact, but simply intimate contact.   

Wood, thanks for adding. Nice information. I was trying to remember the name of the bug and was about to google but your reply answered it. Epstein-Barr virus is what causes mono. Spread by saliva.

I wonder if it is present in cum or if it is just saliva?

My doc said his opinion is that mono is half-sti, half-somewhat contagious infection. It has the potential to be super contagious but tends not to be. It sickens some people, here and there. Weird illness.

Edited by PozGoat

Wood, thanks for adding. Nice information. I was trying to remember the name of the bug and was about to google but your reply answered it. Epstein-Barr virus is what causes mono. Spread by saliva.

I wonder if it is present in cum or if it is just saliva?

My doc said his opinion is that mono is half-sti, half-somewhat contagious infection. It has the potential to be super contagious but tends not to be. It sickens some people, here and there. Weird illness.

Many viral illnesses have a infectious profile.  There is still a lot being found about viral illnesses in general.  If there is anything good that happend out of HIV its that it made huge strides in the field of virology.

As far as what fluids the virus is present in, thats where many virus' vary.  Take influeza or Rhinovirus,  They tend to only be found in the nose and respiratory track, so ironically sometimes kissing a person with a cold or flu wont transmit it to you, but being in the same room where someone sneezed even minutes ago, can transmit it.  Mono is in saliva but tends not to be in semen. Hep C is only blood borne, but Hep B is in semen and saliva.  Then there are the multitude of different herpes virus' and of course HPV.  

I suspect that in the next few decades we are going to see a lot more progress in the field of virology.  It really is a field that we see new things being discovered all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpesviridae 

Guest PozGoat

Many viral illnesses have a infectious profile.  There is still a lot being found about viral illnesses in general.  If there is anything good that happend out of HIV its that it made huge strides in the field of virology.

As far as what fluids the virus is present in, thats where many virus' vary.  Take influeza or Rhinovirus,  They tend to only be found in the nose and respiratory track, so ironically sometimes kissing a person with a cold or flu wont transmit it to you, but being in the same room where someone sneezed even minutes ago, can transmit it.  Mono is in saliva but tends not to be in semen. Hep C is only blood borne, but Hep B is in semen and saliva.  Then there are the multitude of different herpes virus' and of course HPV.  

I suspect that in the next few decades we are going to see a lot more progress in the field of virology.  It really is a field that we see new things being discovered all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpesviridae 

You brought up a very important point about how hiv research has and still is pushing the science of treating other infectious diseases, add to that, many forms of cancer are now being treated because of what's been learned about virology from hiv research and how we treat these illnesses at the microscopic level. There are cancer treatments today that borrow heavily from the way we treat HIV, interfering with a cells ability to replicate etc

There is some good to come out of this plague that has killed so many.

Again, thanks for your informative replies.

(I'd like your post but the site says I'm out of likes for the day, I guess there is a limit to the # of likes we can give for a day..)

• 6 years later...

I have it now 😞  I like sleeping but this isn't fun, I've never felt so exhausted and headachy.  The doctor said it's not necessarily an STI, you can get it from sharing a glass with someone and my family has to be careful.  I got it through sex though.