6 Positive Life Changes That Come With Hiv

seaguy

• 2 weeks later...

I get what he was trying to go for, but saying all of those things are "positive life changes" is a bit rich...

Im not trying to be a "mean guy" but anyone who pretends there multiple positive life changes with HIV is lying to themselves.  

The only positive change for some people is that they never have to think about being infected again.  The benefits pretty much end there, especially with PrEP as an option.   

Edited by wood
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't like that article at all. 

I think every dramatic life change makes one re-examine one's life and realize what is really important. The problem with the article is that you really don't need a chronic disease to become enlightened. All you need to do is to open your eyes and free your mind. Exactly because what distinguishes poz from neg is negligable compared to what unites us.

1. HIV tests: There is no reason to feel anxiety or fear over an HIV test. None whatsoever. The test doesn't make you poz. It only shows what you already are. If you got infected, you're still poz, whether you take the test or not. The only thing the test does is give you options. Which is a GOOD thing. I've always found getting an HIV test to be a very relaxed, serene experience.

2. Growing old: You just don't need HIV for that. All you need to do is take good of yourself. Whether you're poz or not. It's the same for us all.

3. Dating dynamics. In short: One doesn't need to get pozzed oneself to stop being a douche and treat poz guys as what they have always been: members of the community that aren't any different from the rest. We all like sex and cherish basic human kindness.

4. Doctors: There is nothing keeping a neg guy from seeing a doctor once in a while.

5. Freedom from anxiety. What the author omits to tell is that a large number of poz guys first have to deal with phases of depression and readjustment. It's not the virus that sets one free. It's the realization that at some point you can just choose to stop worrying (because worrying has never changed one thing). For fucks sake, everyone can get informed. Read up on HIV, talk to poz friends. And take HIV for what it is. Not a fairytale monster, but a real life condidtion that can be dealt with.

6. Realizing that the human experience means that things can both be a big deal and no big deal at all.

Everytime I see a picture of Alex Minsky (If you don't know him, google him. Seriously, do it now), I ask myself: Would I want to lose my foot? NO. It would change my life a big fucking deal. But at the same time, I know I would adjust. Because as humans we are wired that way: We deal with shit and we adapt to new circumstances.

It's not hypocritical to let both these truths coexist. If you catch HIV today, you WILL BE ALRIGHT. But avoiding it means that you will have an easier journey through life.

• Upvote 2