Anyone Else Have Issues With Triumeq

Theo8

I go to a Ryan White funded clinic.  About 3 months or so ago, they pressured me into going on to Triumeq from Atripla.

I had blood work done a couple of weeks ago and it showed my liver enzymes elevated.  It was the Triumeq.  I told my doctor that I was going back on Atripla once they said I could go back on meds. 

I haven't done any research but has anyone has issues with Triumeq or any of the new drugs that doctors are pushing right now?

• Upvote 1

I was on Atripla from Sept 2009 until the beginning of the year when I swtiched to Triumeq. My Infectious Disease doctor suggested at my visit last fall about changing. My experiene has been excellent and I am happy I switched. Sorry to hear you are not reacting well Theo8. The biggest drawback for me with Atripla was that I didn't think as clearly in the morning as I did prior to meds. With Triumeq that was gone after the first night. Best of luck and be well.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I was on Atripla for 5 years. It worked well for awhile, but then I started having insomnia and irregular sleep. It also made anxiety and depression worse, and I began having palpitations on it. I realized this was due to the Sustiva component of it. When I started it in 2010 it was first-line treatment. Now, no longer.

I weighed my options and decided to go with Stribild because it was the most similar to Atripla but without the Sustiva. I've been on Stribild for a week and hardly any side effects! Some nausea the first day or so, but sleeping okay with it, and anxiety is much better.

I think Atripla can wreak havoc on the central nervous system and cause all sorts of nasty side effects over time, but they happened for me gradually. I'm glad I finally got off of it, anything that affects my mind I don't care for.

I chose Stribild over Triumeq because I heard too many people say it gave them insomnia. 

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

"blood tests for problems"... Does this refer to the abacavir content of triumeq? If so, it's because abacavir can cause a life-threatening reaction in people who have the gene HLA*5701: it's now routine and good practice to test anyone for presence of this gene before letting them anywhere near abacavir, so it's no longer something to be alarmed about.

Lamivudine has been around since the nineties: it's a well-behaved drug, very similar to the emtricitabine used in truvada.

Dolutegravir is the newest of the three drugs in the combination: I've found it effective and its drug family (integrase inhibitors) have given me fewer problems than any other drug. Insomnia is the commonest problem with dolutegravir.

Overall, there's nothing in the combination that would lead to raised liver enzymes, though possibly "the shock of the new" might be the reason. One, maybe two, off kilter readings I wouldn't worry about, it's only when they become persistent that there's a problem. Hope things go well for you...

• 2 weeks later...

A short course of one of the "z" drugs (zopiclone or zolpidem) might help with re-establishing a normal sleep pattern. Doctors don't usually like prescribing them as they're supposed to be addictive. They work by putting you into a state where you're more inclined to fall asleep (hypnotic) and wear off after a few hours, leaving you in a natural sleep. One warning I would give about them (and this is from experience!) would be to keep them somewhere other than the bedroom, maybe even mark on the packet when you take them, because it's very easy to forget you've taken the pill and accidentally double up.

Atripla can cause drowsiness which I liked since I have trouble sleeping.  I've been on 1 mg of ativan for years now and when I went on Triumeq, my shrink told me to take 5 mg of melatonin which did help. 

I've seen comments by people who say that they take up to 10 and 15 mg of melatonin which seems a bit excessive to me but if it helps, I can't argue with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Porthos

I've been on atripla since I was diagnosed 8 years ago. Other than having anxiety issues the first 4 weeks it has worked well with no side effects. I can even take it on a full stomach with none of the side effects that food might bring on.

My doc mentioned triumeq and I was tested for HLA 5701 but have chosen to stay on atripla. 100% adherent, consistently undetectable with a CD 4 count in the 800's. I've even built up a 10 month supply

I have been on Triumeq for 13 mos with no side effects other than some anxiety/depression (could very well be attributed to many other life factors though too).  I was previously taking Stribild but, after only 5 weeks I developed severe liver & kidney issues.  I was unmedicated & undetectable for nearly 6 years prior to the Stribild & I was surprised at all the possible side effects of the various meds when i had to start taking them myself & that alone caused me some anxiety as well...Good Luck & I hope you find a med that provides a reasonable quality of life too:)

the only problem I have with the Atripla is high cholesterol.  I'm on Lipator for that.  I'm sure if I watched my diet I could probably do without it but I do love my steak and cheeseburgers!

I have been on Triumeq for 13 mos with no side effects other than some anxiety/depression (could very well be attributed to many other life factors though too).  I was previously taking Stribild but, after only 5 weeks I developed severe liver & kidney issues.  I was unmedicated & undetectable for nearly 6 years prior to the Stribild & I was surprised at all the possible side effects of the various meds when i had to start taking them myself & that alone caused me some anxiety as well...Good Luck & I hope you find a med that provides a reasonable quality of life too:)