Space Bugs

Note from Toon: This is my very first attempt at science fiction. I'm one of those rare nerds who never got into Star Wars or Star Trek.When I was 15, one of my sisters gave me a collection of Ray Bradbury stories. I liked most of them. I could never compete with his writing skills, but this work of fiction is dedicated to him.

large.680325592_IMG_0931(1).jpg.74e7950d1be69d2e6bfb4e5852840d9a.jpg

For Ray

PART ONE

Greenville, Mississippi  1961

I was in my senior year of high school and just hoping to scrape by (by the skin of my teeth) and get a diploma. It had been a year of distractions. Mama had one of major nervous spells and was now in that ugly brick institution next to the woods. Daddy owned a hardware store downtown and was there almost always. I sometimes worked there, but he wanted me to focus on my studies so I could get into Ol' Miss. I'd already gotten my rejection letter, but hadn't told anyone. My other distraction was Carl -- my best friend since kindergarten. At thirteen, we'd started "messing around". It started with us just comparing our dicks - when soft and when stiff. It then progressed to yanking off together, followed by us yanking each other off. Just last year we started sucking each other's wangs. I liked it way to much. Just this past December, he'd corn-holed me in his tree house. It didn't hurt so bad and we both enjoyed it a lot. He always asked before he came if he could unload inside of me and I always said "Fill 'er up!" 

He taught me to smoke and could always sneak some of his daddy's booze up to the tree house. He was my favorite distraction in so many ways. The newest distraction, however, was Vena - our new maid. She came in every day but Thursday when Daddy and I went out to eat burgers and fries. She wasn't one to tell on me, but she was a religious woman and would look at me and say "Mm Hmm". She was a very pleasant, round black woman who made the best fried chicken you've ever had in your whole life. Wonderful desserts as well. I adored her despite her long, shameful looks at me after Carl and had been off on some adventure together. She liked it when I would sit in the kitchen with her and just talk about the world. We'd smoke cigarettes and chat away while the radio played her station. If she was in a really good mood, Vena and I would have afternoon cocktails in front of the TV so she watch her stories. She liked Daddy too because he paid her very well -- more then even some of his workers down at the hardware store, and her daughters were always welcome in our house.   She'd usually have only one drink while I always had two or three. She also liked it when my 'girlfriend' came over to study. Becky and I had really never done much together except kiss. I played dumb and never took any of her hints about going further. Carl had a fake girlfriend too, 

One night, she stayed later than usual because Dad would be kept down at the store 'doing the books'. I didn't need a babysitter but I guess she had found something in my room and wanted to talk about it. 

"I tell ya somethin', Andrew...if ya'll want to keep secrets in your room then you best learn to clean it your own self." She'd found my rejection letter from Ol' Miss. "I take it your daddy don't know 'bout this?" 

"No."

"You need to tell him."

"I will."

"Let's go sit on the porch...it's a nice evening and this house is gettin' stuffy."

That's when we saw it. It was a rainbow of puke colors twisting in the sky. "Looks like the Northern Lights - but they shouldn't even be visible from here."

"What cause that?"

"It's got a name, but I don't remember it. (bad student, remember?) Supposed to be caused by the magnetic poles." But the colors didn't seem right. The photographs I'd seen in science books made the lights look very pretty. This, however, was particularly ugly. It seemed very close as well...like you could almost touch it. And then it changed  -- you see thousands of thin strands twisting apart from the light. 

"It look like cobwebs, don't it?" It did. It seemed like they were raining down on the dense woods just outside town. 

"Maybe we should go inside. I smell something funny."

"Oh that just Mr. Larry from next door. He was out sprayin' his bushes with a damn gas mask on. I ain't  never seen nobody spray as much chemicals as that man." It was starting to make me sick so I told Vena I was going inside." 

"OK. There's some pie left. Your daddy should be home before too long."

Vena made the best lemon creme pie I'd ever had. "There's over a half a pie left. Take it home to your family."

"I just maybe might eat it all on the bus ride home, Andrew!" If Vena wasn't so wonderful, I might miss Mama a lot more. I walked over to the bar and made a pitcher of martinis. Vena arched an eyebrow.

"You ain't but barely 18, boy - no need to start all that so soon. Don't be in a hurry to be a grownup  - you gonna have to be one for the rest of your life."

"It's for Daddy. I'm going to tell him about the letter when he gets home."

"Mm Hmm. You do that. See ya'll in the morning."

"Good night, Vena."

She gave me a quick hug "Good luck, Baby."

I decided to have a quick drink myself before he got home. I watched the night sky through the window, The lights were all but gone and I was relieved. I called Carl's house from the kitchen phone. 

"Hello?"

"Evening, Mrs. Holland, is Carl there?"

"Nope. He's out somewhere. I thought he was with you."

"No,"

"Well, he should be home soon. I'll tell him you called. Good night, Andrew."

So I just sat at the bar and had a cigarette and sipped a martini. And then another. I guess I always knew I'd be a smoker and a drinker when I grew up. I'd just be smart about it. Another hour passed and another pitcher was made. My drinking with Carl had built up a tolerance in me I guess.

I saw his lights come up the driveway. I could tell by the way he slammed the car door that he was not in a great mood. Maybe I'd show him the letter tomorrow. He blustered in the front door. Yep - he was unhappy already. 

"Hi, Daddy. I made you a drink. Figured you might need one."

"Goddamn right I do. Shit day." He was getting used to Mama not being around because he would never say swears in front of her. It occurred to me that she might never come home. "I might need you to come back to the store and help keep an eye on things. Some fucker has been stealing!" He was scratching the back of his neck furiously. 

"I can do that."

"On top of it all, I got some kind of bug bite on my head and on my neck."

"Mosquitoes? So early?"

"Hell -they never leave. It was that or a spider. Power went off for a few minutes too. Did it go out here?"

"No - but there was a weird magnetic storm over the woods tonight. Maybe a solar flare or something."

"Take a look at the back of my neck, would ya?" I l did...it looked like a tiny blackhead is all.

"Looks like a small bite is all. I don't think it was a mosquito though. It's not hardly red."

"Christ. You been smokin'?"

"Yeah."

"Well, You're not a kid anymore. Your growth sure as hell can't be stunted now, I suppose."

Dad drank fast and I poured him another. He never liked olives or lemon twists or cocktail onions in his drinks. I loved olives. I them poured one for myself. He shook his head.

"I guess that Carl showed you how to drink too. Kid's bad news, Andy. I told you that from the start."

"But aren't you glad I'm not hiding it?"

"I s'pose. I need you to do me a favor, Son."

"Sure."

"I need you visit your mother tomorrow. It's been too long. It's been too long since she seen you."

"I've written her, sent cards -- she never wrote back. She has never called neither. I know they're allowed to use the phone if they want to."

"But you miss her, right?" I shrugged. "You only get one mother, Andrew. It might do her a world of good to see you." I knew better than to mention he hadn't been to see her in months.

"Vena left you two pork chops, green beans and mashed potatoes in the fridge. I can warm it up for you."

"Don't bother -- I'll just drink my dinner tonight. We got any of them spicy nuts left?"

It got to be near 10 o'clock and Daddy had already gone to bed nearly an hour ago. I stayed up in case Carl called, but the drinks had made me tired. I lingered a bit and watched the TV news a little before finally going upstairs. Damn Carl. Where could he be so late on a Thursday night? Who was he with? As I passed by Daddy's room, I heard him groan. He was prone to nightmares sometimes. But no. I could hear his bed springs sing out and the unmistakable sound of him yanking off. I knew everybody did it. But I'd never heard him do it. So weird. He was really, really enjoying himself. I left quickly and went to brush my teeth. Both me and Vena and a few other people thought he was screwing Miss Leibert from the the bank. I remember Vena saying "He a right handsome man - if he was to have an affair with that cheap-ass woman, I wouldn't even be surprised." I guess he was getting all he needed from his right hand now.

PART TWO

Mom's  car had pretty much become mine now. I gave myself permission to skip school that Friday morning. Vena was surprised to find me still in bed when she arrived. 

"What in the hell, boy?"

"Leave me be, Vena. I'm goin' to visit Mama this morning."

She sucked her teeth and thought a minute. "You sure you ready for that? It been awhile."

"Yeah. It's no big deal. Last time I was there, she didn't seem to know who I was."

"Your daddy know 'bout this?" 

"He's the one making me go."

"Get up and get ready. I'll make you some breakfast and then I got to go to the grocery."

I didn't bother with a shower because I just didn't care about what any of those nut house people thought of how I looked like. I just put on the smoke-soaked clothes from yesterday. I got downstairs to keep Vena company while she cooked. 

"Did you even bother to comb your damn hair? Wash your face?"

"No. Why bother?" 

"Ain't got no time for this horse shit, Andrew. I got a bunch of bug bites waitin' for the bus last night."

"Look - you can take my car to the market. I'll just wait til you get back." That cheered her right  up. She put some pancakes down in front of me with a glass of milk and a glass of pineapple juice.I gave her my keys and she started to walk out.

"Oh I almost forgot. My youngest drew a picture for you." She pulled it from her purse. It looked like a worm with teeth and legs. She'd written 'FoR  AndREw' at the top.

"She knows how to spell already?"

"Oh she's a smart one. Knew all her letters by three. She impresses the hell out those ladies at the preschool."

"Is it a bug?"

"I don't never ask her what somethin' is - I just tell her it good. It's to build her seff esteem."

"I like it. I'll draw something for her too."

"That'd be real sweet. I should be back in an hour. I got to pick up some dry cleanin' for your daddy first."

As soon as she left, I dumped the breakfast in the trash and went over to make myself a coke with whiskey in it. Wasn't no way I was gonna visit that place without a drink or two in me. No sooner had I made the drink and lit a cigarette than I heard a knock on the patio door that led to the back yard. I somehow knew it was Carl. I mean, who else? 

It was. I held the smoke in my mouth and opened the sliding glass door. Was I mad at him? He never called. I guess we'd never put a label on what we were to each other, but I needed him. Lousy cur. "I guess you decided to skip too."

"No," I answered coldly,"I'm going to visit my mother in a little while."

"Oh. Come outside for a minute. I got somethin' to show you." We'd played this game before. He'd say just those words and it usually meant he was going to show me is his big, hard wang and then I'd suck it or let him fuck me with it. Not today, pal. I wasn't in the mood.

"Nah. Vena will be back soon." 

"No she won't. I just saw her drive away while I was walking over. She acted like she didn't see me. I guess that nigra don't like me." 

"No. You don't use that word around me....ever. I've gotta go. Have fun."

"Wait! What's wrong?"

"Did your mom tell you I called?"

"No. I haven't been home all night."

"Why? With who?"

"I went to the woods. Alone. I thought I'd see what was going on with where  those lights led to. I thought it was a UFO or something."

"You did that for the whole night?" He so full of shit.

"Yeah. It was magical." His arms and face were pocked with the same bites my daddy had. 

"How?"

"I got to show you. You can leave if you want, but I still got to do this..." And then popped out his fat red dick and started yanking off right there on the patio. I couldn't help but watch. He was so much bigger than I was. "Sure you don't want to get down here and help out?"

"Nah. I'm good."

And then he shot his wad. And - it was jet black. Like ink. The hell? "What...what happened?" There was a black/dark brown puddle of it right there on the brick patio,

"I don't know, Andy. I've beat my pud six times since midnight. If your bedroom was on the first floor, I would have come in the window and fucked your ass 'til morning." 

"Maybe you need to go see a doctor, Carl."

"Hell no. I've never felt so good. I don't even think I'll ever need sleep again -- that's how good I feel."

"But that's abnormal, Carl. Your sperm is black. It's toxic."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Just wait til it happens to you. You'll see." And then he left. I'd have to clean that wet stain up later. I wanted another drink. What was going on? Bugs and masturbation? What was the connection? And the lights? I felt queasy. I went back inside and found that all the ice had melted. It was watery now. I took a few long sips and then added some more whisky. Had another cigarette. I was thinking about all the weirdness that had happened since last night.

Vena was home. Thank the Lord she didn't arrive while Carl was here. I rushed to help her with the bags. She could smell the whisky. "I swear, boy. I ain't in no mood for your nonsense. People are drivin' crazy today. You best go now and get off the streets before it gets too nuts." She realized what she'd said. "Sorry. I didn't mean..."

"Don't worry about it." 

"You do like yourself a drink don't you. Don't turn into my husband or I slap the mouth off your face." 

"I'm going now. I just want to get this over with."

She shook her head and watched me leave. There was something up alright. So much careless driving and loud honking. I couldn't wait to get out of town and onto to the two-lane highway. I wasn't looking forward to this. Not all. And then I was there.  Ugh. There was plenty of parking space because nobody came here unless they had to. First thing you notice about Klaussen Hospital is the strong smell of ammonia and pee. It would be a long time before I ever came back. Vena's sister worked here somewhere but I think it was in the kitchen. I signed in at the desk. 

"Oh. The nurse from Diane's floor is right here -- let me fetch her. A plump nurse with a blonde beehive came out and smiled.

"You came on a good day. She likes sitting outside these days. It gives her color and helps her sleep better. She'll be happy to see you. I'm Nancy." Whatever. I followed her out to 'the garden' where I saw her right away. Her eyes were closed and she was soaking up the late morning sun. Nancy had the attendant bring another chair so I could sit across from her. I sat and she opened her eyes.

"Hi, Mama."

"Yes, yes. Absolutely." She just grinned at me like an idiot. "How are you feeling?"

"Perfect! I remember you. Henry?" That was her brother's name. 

"No. I'm Andrew. I'm your son."

"Hush now, Henry. Will you read to me? Play your records for me?"

"Sorry. No." I left. 

The attendant opened the door for me. I just left and drove home. "That was fast." Vena saw me come in. 

"She was so out of it, she didn't know who I was." 

"Go rest, baby. I'll bring you a snack later. They drug them pretty heavy there. Don't let it fret you none. I put clean sheets on your bed." 

I remember falling asleep to the memory of Carl's dick spurting that black goo. It was well past five when Vena finally woke me up with a sandwich and a cold bottle of coke. She stroked my hair lovingly. "It'll all be OK, baby. There's part of your mama who loves you deep inside somewhere." You eat up and come downstairs and keep me company." The sandwich was peanut butter and marshmallow fluff. My favorite. She was also baking a chocolate cake -- I could smell it from here. I sat at my desk and drew a picture for Poppy - Vena's four year old daughter. I was pretty good at drawing.Best in my class.  I drew a beautiful woman sitting on a picnic blanket with flowers all around around her. I signed it and wrote 'For Poppy With Love' at the top. I put my shoes on and headed downstairs with the drawing, my plate and most of the coke left in the bottle. Vena was singing one of her gospel songs. She had a perfect voice. I stopped at the bar and topped off the coke with more whisky. 

"Thank you, Vena." I meant that for so many reasons. 

"Come sit with me for a spell. Tell me all about it." 

We smoked and shared my spiked Coke. "I hate that place. I hate everything about it. I'm never going back."

"Hush that now. She jus' a little sick is all. She'll get better and move back." I could tell even she didn't believe that. "Carl has called three time today. I don't like that boy."

"He's okay, really. My best friend."

"Mm Hmm. I think your daddy want to cook out this weekend - can you go out and make sure the grill is clean?"

"Yeah." It was still light out. Would I call Carl back? Maybe. I was getting curious." And then I saw that not only had the puddle of his spunk, dried --but it was moving. The hell? I got on my knees and looked closer. Tiny, tiny little bugs. Aphids? No. They were worm-like with scorpion tails and pincers on the head. They were scattering fast. I jumped away and went back inside. Holy fuck! I do believe the world was ending. Carl's weird black sperm had turned into actual bugs. I brought the whole bottle of whiskey to the kitchen. 

"What? You look like you seen a ghost."

I could breathe again. "Have you seen weird things lately, Vena?"

"Like what?"

"Bugs?"

"Little, black, shiny things? Yeah I saw a bunch of them when I was changing your daddy's sheets. I'm a tell him he need to call the exterminator." 

A man's nut was changing into bugs now. "There's an infestation of some sort. I saw them out back."

"Mm Hmm. It's somethin' new. I find new weeds in my garden near ev'ry day. Things I ain't never seen before." The oven timer went off. Vena took the beautiful cake out of the oven. It was looking perfect - just like everything else she baked. "It got to cool first before I can frost it, Don't touch it boy. We need to talk, Andrew. Your Daddy is gonna be late tonight. He done got hisself a date, That lady from the florist store. Ain't none of my bizness what a man do, but he wanted me to tell you. I think he jus tjhink he wanted me to tell you. What you thinkin' 'bout?"

"I guess he's lonely. Mama ain't never coming home."

"Well - I told him all what you said 'bout your visit. He my boss, Andrew. I wasn't tryin' to tell on you. Want me to stay late. We can play cards and look at TV. I'll make that cheese popcorn you like."

"No. Just give Poppy this." I handed her the drawing.

"Dear Lord! She gonna love this! You got talents, boy! You did this all on you own?" 

"Yeah. I like drawing."

"This lady look kinda like your Mama in those pictures I seen hangin' in the living room." 

"It's Paula Prentiss." 

"You put in shading and ev'rything. She gonna be in love you more than she already is."  She got up on her tip-toes and kissed me on the forehead. "You so sweet." The phone rang.

"I'll get it, Vena. It's probably Carl." She nodded and started to go mix her frosting. 

"Hey Buddy!" (Carl)

"Hi."

"My folks are goin' to a party tonight. Want to come over and watch 'Nightmare Theater' with me?" Carl and his bug-filled sperm. Could I handle that? 

"What time?"

"Sometime after supper. Come when it gets dark out."

"OK. Want me to bring booze?"

"Nah. I got everything. Bring your sleeping bag and your toothbrush."

"See you tonight." CLICK. No sooner had I hung up the phone when it rang again. It was Becky.

"Where were you today? We had a pep assembly and a pop quiz in Chemistry." 

"Pep assembly? For what? I thought everything was over for the year."

"Silly! The basketball team is in the run for the regional championship."

"Oh. Who cares."

"Oh, you're in a fine mood."

"I went to see my mama today."

"Oh. Is she not better yet?" Idiot

"So I guess you don't want to go see that new Vincent Price movie tonight." No

"Well - I'll go with Mitch Montgomery I guess. A girl can't go by herself to a movie on Saturday night." Fine with me

"Okay. Bye." CLICK I'd forgotten to ask if she'd gotten any bug bites recently. Maybe it didn't affect women the same way it did men. Vena seemed the same.

I went back out to the kitchen where Vena was frosting the cake. It looked like something out of Good Housekeeping magazine. "I added some orange zest to the icing...make it a little extra special. Who called? Was it Becky?"

"Yeah," I answered.

"Something goin' on with you two? I don't hardly never see her these days."

I shrugged. I poured myself some more whisky into what was left of my already spiked coke. Vena pretended she didn't notice. "Oh Lord - it look we gonna have a storm coming through tonight."

"You can take the car, Vena. I'll just walk over to Carl's. He lives close."

"I swear -- you is the sweetest boy ever." 

"Not really. But thank you. No sense in getting rained on or getting more bug bites."

"Oh, they fine now. Healed right up already. Don't even itch none."

I turned on the TV to see the local news. Hurricane season had just begun and the last one did a number on our roof. Rain was likely but they said it wasn't due until close to midnight.  Less than an inch. I went to report to Vena what the weatherman said. "Yeah - they sayin' the same thing on the radio. I had to change the station because they was playin' that same commercial for the used car place over and over."

"Daddy always says not to ever do business with a place that advertises too much -- they have to make back that money somewhere."

"He right. Smart man. You gettin' hungry, child? Or is your stomach too full of whiskey? I think that's why you ain't had an appetite lately. Too much drinkin'."

"Yeah. And I'll probably have supper over at Carl's. They eat late. Make something for yourself though. Daddy didn't eat those pork chops last night."

"Nah. Since I got the car, Ima go pick up pizzas from that new place. Girls are having a sleepover with they friends tonight. I ain't gonna get no sleep tonight. It OK that I can't bring the car back 'til Monday mornin? Maybe I best leave it." 

"No. It's fine."

PART THREE

It's not too often that I had the whole house to myself for the night. If Daddy started seeing some woman, I guess I'd have more of these nights. " I cut myself a big slice of the cake and ate most of it in three bites. SO good! Mama would make me another cake. I had to face facts. (I'd have no idea that right as I ate the last cake crumbs off my plate, my mama was getting raped right there on the hospital grounds. We wouldn't find out until weeks later.)

I was pretending to be  grown man with my own house as I sat at the bar and poured whisky into a fresh coke. I smoked two or three cigarettes while playing the radio on a rock and roll station -- louder than I'd ever play it around Vena or Daddy. I sat and thought about what Becky and Mitch might probably be doing right now. I hope he was giving her what she needed, Unless he had bitten by the weird bugs -- then God only knows what she was getting. Not my problem now. I still had Carl to deal with. Why was I so eager to see him again? He was poisonous now. Why did it turn me on a little? I got my sleeping bag from the closet under the stairs. I then went up to grab my toothbrush....and a new bottle of Listerine. 

It was dark out and ol' Larry from next door still spraying his roses and cussing up a storm. I wonder if he saw the little alien bugs already. He wasn't wearing a mask tonight. It was probably kinda late for him anyway - his hair was falling out in chunks already. He then started cussing at me.  "Tell your father to use a smaller watt bulb in his porch light. It's attracting every bug in the county here. And why the hell don't your maid wear a goddamn uniform. We got standards in this neighborhood. You know how it looks with her wearing whatever she wants? Like she's a friend or something?"

"Fuck off, old man." He was shocked into complete silence. All I heard as I walked away was some thunder in the distance. I didn't care if he told my daddy. I hadn't got but a block and a half when one of them landed on the back of my arm. An alien bug had bit into my and I immediately slapped it with the palm of my other hand. Nothing. It was gone. But I felt the bite...a tiny little sting that didn't feel hardly hurt. Well - it was bound to happen eventually. I guess there was nothing left to fear now. It was only the one bite so far and I was almost to Carl's house. He was sitting on his front steps. 

"We best stay out here for a spell -- they're running late and fighting about it." I could tell  from just the light from the street lamp that he had dark circles under his eyes.

"Have you slept at all, Carl?"

"Yeah -- well, I tried. Had some very horny dreams about you."

"I'm worried about you, You remember you blowing your wad on my patio this morning?"

"Yeah. And you wouldn't help me with it."

"Remember how it was black? It dried up and turned into bugs. hundreds of tiny little black bugs."

"SO?"

"So it worries me."

"Why? Those little bugs mature fast and are biting everybody. Think they won't get to you too? 

"I got bit on the way over here. Am I gonna end up like you? - unable to sleep and beating my meat all day?"

"Just one bite? I don't know. I got bit about fifty times the other night and maybe that's why it happened so fast. I actually think they burrow into you fast as a bullet. Who cares?"

"I care."

"Don't care and don't worry. These things came from outer space for a reason for a reason Andy...ever think it's to help us evolve?"

"What does it do to women? Vena got bit the same night you did and she's entirely normal. Maybe even a little nicer than usual."

"I guess they need men only."

"It's still weird. Everything is weird now. I think I broke up with Becky. She's out with Mitch Holland. And my dad is on a date right now."

"Yeah. I blew off Janet too. She's got big tits and will find some other dude fast. I just want you. And I'm pretty sure you just want me." His folks were still fighting.

"But is it a disease? If they're from outer space, they might be hostile."

"And you can do WHAT about it?"

"Nothing, I guess. I can't fix my sick mama or my shitty grades or my anything."

"It will all change soon. I promise." Just then, Mrs. Tollis came huffing out of the front door, leaving a trail of perfume, gin and hostility. She was wearing a really expensive dress and jewelry was clinking everywhere. Mr. Tollis followed, in a much better mood. 

"How are you, Andrew? Haven't seen you for awhile. Excited about graduation?" Mrs. Tollis honked the car horn and seemed really eager to leave. "Shit and goddamn. Gotta go."

They practically burned rubber leaving the driveway. 

"Well," Carl stood up, "Let's go inside and have some cocktails." We went in. "Mama is having an affair with one of Daddy's bosses. A divorce is coming." 

"Yeah. I think one's on its way my way too. Let's have a drink."

"Would he really divorce your mama while she's in the nut house?"

"She's never coming home, Carl. She's gone for good."

"Here, I made us screwdrivers. Heavy on the 'screw'."  I wasn't sure what he meant until I tasted it....mostly vodka with just a little orange juice. Perfect. Carl went over and put his new Ricky Nelson album on the record player. I preferred Del Shannon, but this wasn't so bad. 

"You got any peanuts or pretzels? I'm craving some salt right now." 

"Already made us some popcorn and added lots of butter and tons of salt." He fetched it and brought it back to the living room. I loved how ridiculously salty it was. Maybe the little bug inside of me was making me crave sodium. Whatever.

"They like salt and sugar." Carl was possibly reading my thoughts all the sudden. 

"Maybe not. My supper was a giant piece of cake. And that was before my bug bite." And then he just stood me up and planted a big ol' kiss on my mouth. He was grinding his hard crotch against me.

"We got time before the movie starts....wanna fool around a little?" I did. I really did. I mean, I would have black semen myself someday soon. I'd be shooting out my own bugs soon enough. I had always craved his dick anyway. We'd never kissed like this before though...it was nice. Perfect. I could have lasted much longer except I was unzipping his pants to free that gorgeous pecker of his. I Just got right down on my knees and sucked him like it's the only thing in the world that mattered. I took him deeper and deeper -- I wanted it to tickle my lungs. Carl was into as well, holding the back of my head and humping away. "Yeah...yeah, Andy. I want to unload down your fucking throat." And then he did -- while "Hello Mary Lou" was blaring in the background. I suddenly felt the need to shoot my own wad. Badly! I just stood up and pulled out my pecker. I'd barely touched it when I shot. It was still white and watery, but Carl caught most of it in his hand. I'd never felt so good. He slurped up my spunk and licked his fingers. 

"Wow."

"I know. You feel really good, right? It get's even better." I wanted to kiss again, but I guess the moment had passed. "Whoa! Look! It's started again!" He was looking out the window at those weird lights that were back again. "Let's go out and look. It's almost directly over us this time. Cool!" We stepped out into the night. The storm was closer too -- those ugly lights were all blotched from the clouds. It started to rain and the wind picked up. This could get real weird, real fast. We stood out in his front yard and looked at the bizarre light show above us.  And then there was lightning on top of everything else. 

"We should go inside, Carl. You're not even wearing shoes." I was pretty afraid of lightning. Nearly phobic. Catching pneumonia too. I had been raised to be afraid of almost everything - back when my parents still cared. 

"Two more minutes." 

I decided to go stand on the porch and wait until he was drenched. There were about half a dozen of the little bugs crawling on my skin and clothes. I wiped them away even though they really couldn't do too much more damage to me than they already had. I still got bit. I felt it. Suddenly, a blinding, bright white bolt of lightning struck across the street. I mean, you could feel the heat from it. 

"Carl!! Come back inside, shit head!"

"OK. OK." He stepped up onto the porch with bugs crawling all over him. Gross. I wiped off as many as I could from his body. "They crawled down my collar too. No bites yet. There must be no room in me for any more if them. Tickles."

We went inside and settled into the living room. You should change clothes -- you're soaking wet. Towel off and change." He padded upstairs and I quickly made us both drinks and grabbed the popcorn. His folks' bar was nicer than ours. Nightmare Theater wouldn't start for another twenty minutes - if the power didn't go out. It seemed to have passed already...leaving just a steady rain. Weird lights were gone too. My guess was the whole state was infested by now. So be it. I was powerless to do anything, to fix anything. Carl came back, dry but naked. I guess I had to be OK with that. He was way more comfortable with his body than I was. I remember a time when my parents used to bring me to church every Sunday...even though I had no idea what the minister was babbling about. I just doodled on the church program and pretended to sing the hymns. We'd get home and Mama would make waffles. 

"You polished off all the popcorn already?"

I avoided looking at his groin. "Yeah. Sorry."

"We got chips if you want 'em."

"Nah. Sit and have a drink with me."

"Perfect. Got an extra cigarette?"

"Yeah. Here." I lit it for him like a husband would light his wife's cigarette.

"Hell, Andy -- this drink is too weak! Let me re-make a batch." He took away our glasses and dumped them in the little sink. He made a fresh pitcher --'heavy on the screw'. We sat and smoked and imbibed. He would sometimes tug at his prick, but not too obviously. I used to make fun of that song'Earth Angel', but ya know -- I'd love to sing it you right now."

"Go ahead."

"I can't sing - you know that." Yep.  He couldn't carry a tune to save his life. But it was a sweet thing to say (Earth angel - will you be mine?).

"Nightmare Theater is about to start...do you know what they're showing?"

"Bride of the Monster." Ugh. Ed Wood.

"Again? That is a total shit movie."

"But Bela Lugosi was hilarious. and that big, bald guy."

"Let's just sit here and talk. And get shit-faced."

"Cool. I like that idea. Have you told your old man about not getting into college, yet?"

"Nah. I doubt he's too interested in that anymore. I'm going to work for him I guess...the rest of my life."

"Think he'd hire me too?"

"Probably. Hell, I could probably demand it." 

We were kissing again. I might probably like kissing more than fucking and sucking. His tongue was stretching so far it was touching my molars. Glorious. 

He pulled away first. "I've got a great idea." He always did.

"Let's hear it."

"Let's finish our screwdrivers, go out back to the tree house and listen to my new transistor radio. I've got a camping lantern out there too."

"And your sleeping bag?"

"Forget it. We'll share yours." Fine with me. We'd done that before.  "Drink up. I can hardly wait." He was openly stroking his big, hard wang. I just drank up and lit another smoke. I was also very erect just then. 

"The record ended. Don't have you anything....'blacker'?"

"The Marvelettes? Is that colored enough for you?" I hated that word but didn't say anything. "Chubby Checker?" 

"Just pick one." He picked Chubby Checker.  

"Is this what Vena listens to?"

"She likes blues and gospel mostly."

We drank and smoked. I was drunk. I might have even bent down to kiss his dick once or twice.  "Let's go out now!"

"It's raining. Hard. Is your tree house roof going to hold?"

"Who cares? We'll get wet. Just take off your clothes and leave them in here." I did just that and we banged our boners against each others for a few hot, amusing seconds. "Let's go!"

At least Carl was still sober enough to grab my sleeping bag and smokes before we headed out. I watched his wet ass bob in front of me to the tree where his little hideaway was. Same ladder made from planks nailed into the tree. Same smell too. God, we hadn't been up here for awhile. He turned on the battery-powered lantern. Some of those bugs were scuttling around. I didn't care anymore. I was one of them now. I had already accepted it. 

"Where's the radio?"

"Here." It was in the sketchy shadows. "Any station you want?"

"Whatever you listen to when you wank off."

"Yeah?" He was so goddamn erect and his pecker was making dancing shadows everywhere. I just lied down and put my legs up into the air. He wasted no time. He was all the way inside of me before I even felt a twinge of discomfort.

"Go as deep as you can, Carl! Make me hurt!" He obliged. twisting and tilting and heaving until he shot that inky, black load deep up my intestines. More bugs. I welcomed them. We fell asleep in each other's arms as a second wave of the storm passed above our naked bodies. I loved the idea of my alien space bugs mingling with his. Maybe we'd create a whole new version of them. 

END

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...