NEW FEATURE: Map of logged in members

rawTOP

User Map: Good Idea Or Bad?  

283 members have voted

1. 1. User Map: Good Idea Or Bad?

• I don't like it. It reveals too much about me, etc.
    • I like it the way it is.
    • I want it to show screen names.

• Administrators

Looks like we accidentally deleted the thread on the new user map feature. So I'm recreating what I can of that thread...

I just completed the install of a new feature - a user map...

http://www.breedingzone.com/usermap.php

It's available under the "Community" menu in the nav bar.

I need your input on what you think of it since there are some privacy issues. It shows where someone is located, but doesn't say who the person is, and it doesn't seem to be completely accurate. In my case it's about 10 blocks off. Another user (outside the US) said it was about 3 miles off. I'm hoping you guys are OK with that... People can see that there are people near them, but won't be able to tell who they are or where they are exactly.

Please post your comments here. I'm curious to hear how accurate it is for each of you and whether you think it's a good feature.

Personally I'd like to modify it to show the screen names of logged in users so you can contact each other. But I need to make sure it's not too accurate - I'd want it to be a little off for something like that.

Most of the user comments said that the accuracy wasn't all that precise and they liked the feature and wanted me to add user names to the pins on the map, but if that happened an opt-out was also needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
I don't see me, unless its showing me at Presby, but that could be you too

I'm showing up higher (and I'm a red pin), so that's you at Columbia Pres... It's quite a bit off for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I works outside the US, I am in Venezuela and it displays my location well, same neighborhood, but not too exact location, around 2 kms off.

It won't display your user name, but if you select the option "show yourself", you'll see where the map is displaying your location.

• 2 weeks later...