Bug in "Ignore User" feature

BootmanLA

This is more of an advisory to RawTop and/or the moderators as I'm guessing this is something just inherently unworkable in the forum software.

I can choose to ignore user X and have it hide pretty much everything that user posts. But if another user "quotes" that ignored X person, it's all visible in the quoted reply (the poster's name, all of what was said, etc.). 

I'm sure it's because the software doesn't "track" that the quoting reply links back to an ignored user; it simply inserts the quoted text and author's name into a new post, and if the quoting person isn't also ignored, then it's all visible. I can conceive, programmatically, how that could be fixed, but I doubt it would be high-enough priority for the forum software developers to do the work. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this up with an additional "bug" (that again probably can't be dealt with).

Even with every box checked for the "ignore user" for a name, those users' status updates still show in the "Recent Status Updates" section of the main forum page.

And there are some whose status updates, while *technically* probably within the rules of this forum, are so offensive that if I saw the person in real life, I'd punch the everloving shit out of them, just on general principle. I'd be happy to ignore them so I don't have to see their obnoxious bullshit, but the tools provided here do not cover that.

This, unlike the previously reported problem, should be easy for the developers to fix, if they cared. It's a simple condition to add to the query that retrieves the most recent status updates. Despite my fondness for the color blue, however, I'm not holding my breath waiting.

4 hours ago, DarkroomTaker said:

Agreed, I block, but still see comments and pictures.

Noone answers queries I posted earlier.

If I block, I block a user for everything, not just some things.

Galleries still show their pictures!!!

To be fair to this site's owner: I don't think he developed the software himself; rather, it's a package people can license to run forum-like websites like this one. So the features available and how they work are not entirely under his control (although it would be nice to have those kinds of things confirmed rather than just ignored).

The only reason I made a point about the status updates: that's a very simple change to make because the code for that query has to be fairly compact (ie "Select the 5 most recent status updates by members", translated to plain English). That could easily be fixed by the developers to instead be "Select the 5 most recent status updates by members who are not ignored by this user" - one line of code, most likely, easy to test, easy to implement, and almost certainly what the developers probably meant to do in the first place. RawTop may not be able to change that, but as the licensee of the software it's a simple update he should be able to suggest.

I'm not so sure about the galleries update, but even if it's more complicated, adding the qualification "where the gallery is not owned by someone being ignored" should be pretty easy to implement too.

• Administrators

@BootmanLA Correct. I didn't write the software, so can't fix the issues. Blocking in quotes is extremely difficult. I'm a member of one board that tries to do it and it's not executed very well.

There was just an update to the software, so see if it's still an issue. But even if it is, I can't really do much about it.

1 hour ago, rawTOP said:

@BootmanLA Correct. I didn't write the software, so can't fix the issues. Blocking in quotes is extremely difficult. I'm a member of one board that tries to do it and it's not executed very well.

There was just an update to the software, so see if it's still an issue. But even if it is, I can't really do much about it.

I can cope with the blocking-in-quotes issue (as you say, it's pretty hard to implement). But I'd think blocking member status updates, in the right-hand panel of the forums list, should be much, much easier (not for you, obviously, but for the authors of the software).

I'll see if that particular issue was fixed. If not, I'll let you know, so that (if you see fit) you can raise the issue with them for a future fix.

• 10 months later...

Am I imagining things, or was there once an "Ignore user" button on member profiles to make it easier to ignore a particular user, that is now gone?

I can pull up the list of people I'm ignoring (from my own profile settings), and add a member name manually there, but I could swear there used to be an option of opening a profile, clicking on "Ignore Member", and then choosing which things to ignore (posts, messages, etc.).

If it SHOULD be there - I can't see it. If it's been removed, okay, but it was certainly convenient, as I recall.

Guest WelshBBCigarFuck

I’ve seen a few sites using this forum software and am on another which uses it (I won’t name drop but it’s to do with my enjoyment of smoking). I think Rawtop has done well with his customisation of the forum as it’s very responsive, other implementations have been very laggy (and for some reason they notify you that someone reacted to your post but don’t let you see who reacted!).

Unfortunately all software has limitations and bugs and you always find that new versions fix some things or add new features but then bring in more bugs. I’ve never truly encountered a piece of software without a bug and that’s after 29 years of being a 3rd line IT support engineer.

I can understand why you wouldn’t want to see anything posted by people you ignore, after all you ignored them for a reason, hopefully it’s something the forum vendor will resolve in a future release.

Edited by WelshBBCigarFuck

1 hour ago, BootmanLA said:

Am I imagining things, or was there once an "Ignore user" button on member profiles to make it easier to ignore a particular user, that is now gone?

I can pull up the list of people I'm ignoring (from my own profile settings), and add a member name manually there, but I could swear there used to be an option of opening a profile, clicking on "Ignore Member", and then choosing which things to ignore (posts, messages, etc.).

If it SHOULD be there - I can't see it. If it's been removed, okay, but it was certainly convenient, as I recall.

You got a problem with me bro?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.