Which is better: Star Wars v Star Trek? 😀

Carlos1881

Factoids that some folks know/don't know.

That 1st interracial kiss on TV (Star Trek TOS) was forced by telekenetic aliens, not Captain Kirk falling for the gorgeous Uhura (which was his usual plot).

Also, Nichelle Nichols said that Bill Shatner joked with her and said something like, "I told you that I'd somehow get to kiss you".  And Bill faked needing retakes so he could kiss Nichelle multiple times!  Once you go Black, you don't go Back!  LOL 😛

Absolutely Star Wars (only the original saga, ep. IV-VI, especially The Empire strikes back) fan. I deeply love Han and Leia but my ultimate fav is Darth Vader. 
Because as my another favourite said ‘The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.’ 😄

• Haha 1

Each is unique in their own way.

Star Trek is like a space western With the Enterprise crew like territorial marshals and the aliens are like the different Native American tribes.

Star Wars is a World War 2 movie with lots of espionage and intrigue.

Sorry,I can’t choose.

Here’s are questions to the original question of this post:

Which one Star Trek series is your favorite ?

Which one Star Trek movie is your favorite?

Which one Star Wars tv series is your favorite?

Which one Star Wars movies is your favorite?

11 hours ago, TommiBiC18 said:

Each is unique in their own way.

Star Trek is like a space western With the Enterprise crew like territorial marshals and the aliens are like the different Native American tribes.

Star Wars is a World War 2 movie with lots of espionage and intrigue.

Sorry,I can’t choose.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this perspective, though I can see how the shows superficially resemble what you suggest.

Star Wars is, I think more like the story of the Cold War than WWII. Less invading and conquering, more infiltration and then co-opting of democratic norms in favor of authoritarianism. And while WWII involved victory by superior military might, the Empire in Star Wars *was* the superior military force, by far; it was defeated by a vastly outnumbered contingent of rebels who were nimble enough to find the weaknesses in the system. In WWII, we didn't have a crafty spy smuggle us the plans for Hitler's bunker that showed us how we could drop a grenade to a ventilation shaft that would blow him up and leave his empire leaderless to fall apart; we bombed the holy fuck out of Germany and its vassal states until we'd destroyed most of their war-making capability. 

As for Star Trek: westerns were about 'murricans subduing all the nasty savages and bringing them education and culture (or just killing them off), in an attempt to gain control over all the territory between the Atlantic and the Pacific, both to strip its natural resources and to utilize the land for agricultural, commercial, and residential purposes. Star Trek is far more idealistic; it's an alliance of worlds that preserves each world's unique characteristics while combining resources to work towards common goals of peaceful exploration. There was certainly no Prime Directive in the west or in the westerns about the era, unless you count "Keep the Injuns under control or just kill 'em if they act up" as a prime directive.

It's true that some of the fight scenes in Star Trek are reminiscent of westerns, but only in a broad sense. Hand-held phaser battles are vaguely like gun battles in westerns, but given that phasers can shoot right through almost anything, it's not like westerns where you can duck behind the rain barrel to avoid the bullets. And yes, some of the areas explored are on the frontiers of the galaxy, where the latest and greatest tech isn't found yet. Except it is, onboard the Enterprise; it's like exploring the frontier west in 1870 in a giant 21st century all-terrain-vehicle that can not only transport one of pretty much every piece of technology you might need complete with giant weapons mounted on top. Doesn't sound very western-ish to me.

1 hour ago, BootmanLA said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this perspective, though I can see how the shows superficially resemble what you suggest.

Star Wars is, I think more like the story of the Cold War than WWII. Less invading and conquering, more infiltration and then co-opting of democratic norms in favor of authoritarianism. And while WWII involved victory by superior military might, the Empire in Star Wars *was* the superior military force, by far; it was defeated by a vastly outnumbered contingent of rebels who were nimble enough to find the weaknesses in the system. In WWII, we didn't have a crafty spy smuggle us the plans for Hitler's bunker that showed us how we could drop a grenade to a ventilation shaft that would blow him up and leave his empire leaderless to fall apart; we bombed the holy fuck out of Germany and its vassal states until we'd destroyed most of their war-making capability. 

As for Star Trek: westerns were about 'murricans subduing all the nasty savages and bringing them education and culture (or just killing them off), in an attempt to gain control over all the territory between the Atlantic and the Pacific, both to strip its natural resources and to utilize the land for agricultural, commercial, and residential purposes. Star Trek is far more idealistic; it's an alliance of worlds that preserves each world's unique characteristics while combining resources to work towards common goals of peaceful exploration. There was certainly no Prime Directive in the west or in the westerns about the era, unless you count "Keep the Injuns under control or just kill 'em if they act up" as a prime directive.

It's true that some of the fight scenes in Star Trek are reminiscent of westerns, but only in a broad sense. Hand-held phaser battles are vaguely like gun battles in westerns, but given that phasers can shoot right through almost anything, it's not like westerns where you can duck behind the rain barrel to avoid the bullets. And yes, some of the areas explored are on the frontiers of the galaxy, where the latest and greatest tech isn't found yet. Except it is, onboard the Enterprise; it's like exploring the frontier west in 1870 in a giant 21st century all-terrain-vehicle that can not only transport one of pretty much every piece of technology you might need complete with giant weapons mounted on top. Doesn't sound very western-ish to me.

Yeah.

Now that I read your post I see your point.

Always been a Star Wars fan, and have never really gotten into Star Trek much in my life although lately I want to learn more of it, just have to decide where to start at this point. I was pretty vastly disappointed by the new trilogy but some of the newer EU content for Star Wars is decent. I've always been obsessed with Mandalorians and Din Djarin could rail me any time. 

And I'd love for Stormtroopers to run a train on me. I just hope they can aim a cumshot better than a blaster.

• 6 months later...

To me, it is not a compeition. Not one vs the other. Remember the TV series Babylon 5? Majel Barrett Roddenberry deliberately went on the series to make this point. The vast universe is way big enough for even far more. At any rate, I'm biased. One of the writers on the Star Trek original series (1960's) was a teacher of mine. I'm more of a Treker. But, hey, Data? ftmbristolukfun that's "fascinating".

Star Trek is definitely my favorite, from reruns of the original series up to now I have basically been watching it all my life. I like that its the "future" and not so much a fantasy world. I think the stories are more subtle and complicated and a bit less archetype good vs evil. I also think Star Wars hit at the wrong time for me to be really into it, my older siblings really like it. I was a bit too young for the original movies then a bit too old for the next ones without that added nostalgia from my childhood.

That being said characters/costumes in Star Wars are way hotter... I still frequently have fantasies of getting gang banged by storm troopers and having a mandalorian boyfriend who never takes off his armour or helmet and sits on my couch all day looking awesome in his armour and not talking much, just whipping out a fat 9" dick to fuck me a couple times a day.

I've thought way too much about this 😉

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I think Bill Nye said it best:

Star Trek is an optimistic view of the future with science. Anti-matter contained in magnetic fields, real physics… in Star Wars there’s an invisible thing that has superpowers, but in Star Trek they didn’t do that.

Unsurprisingly, the Science Guy prefers the series that revolves around the laws of nature and the powers of logic to the one that hinges on the telekinetic gifts of midi-chlorians. “Star Wars has magic in it!,” Nye declared with a hint of disgust in his voice. “The Force is like a ghost or magic or religion,” he continued, echoing a preference recently expressed by fellow scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson.

- - -

I enjoy both series, but as I got older and re-watched Next-Gen and Voyager, my love for Star Trek has grown far beyond my adolescent love of Star Wars.

The new Trilogy was "meh" to me. I did really enjoy the Rogue One film however,
it was perhaps the 2nd best film in the franchise behind Empire to me.

- - -

Now if we're talking sex. Ryker hands down had me playing out all sorts of halodeck fantasies in my pre-teen mind.