Meaning of/reason for "You do not have permission to view this topic." message

I had a notification that someone quoted me in a post in a particular topic. But when I went to check the post containing my quote, I got the message above. I assume, unless it's a system error of some sort, that someone has chosen to block my ability to view/respond in the topic.

My question is: is that done by a moderator, or by the topic's creator (or either one)?

And if it's done by a moderator, shouldn't there be some sort of notification explaining why? If it's done by the topic creator (it's been a while since I've created a new thread, so I didn't know that was possible), is that strictly up to the thread creator, to pick and choose which site members get to participate? 

I'm not arguing for or against any particular process or rule, but I would like to understand how that works.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Moderator's Note: I have two theories:

1. The post with the quote has been hidden by staff for some reason unconnected to your post. Thus, you do not have access to the post.
  2. The person who quoted you has subsequently blocked you making you unable to see the post now. 

It's hard for me to judge without more information. It is also possible it is simply a glitch. We have had quite a few recently. 

2 hours ago, drscorpio said:

Moderator's Note: I have two theories:

1. The post with the quote has been hidden by staff for some reason unconnected to your post. Thus, you do not have access to the post.
  2. The person who quoted you has subsequently blocked you making you unable to see the post now. 

It's hard for me to judge without more information. It is also possible it is simply a glitch. We have had quite a few recently. 

Theory 1 is possible. The topic (not sure which forum it was/is in) was titled "poz tops at a bathhouse" and what I assume is the thread or topic number is "41193". A search for that thread and/or the thread number comes up empty, so I'm going with "hidden/removed."

Theory 2 doesn't seem as likely because it's not just the one post I can't find; the entire thread seems to be inaccessible.

A glitch is also possible.

I'm not *particularly* worried about it. I was just confirming whether there was a block specifically against me participating in that topic, and if so, was that a moderator's action or were users able to do that. As long as it's not something ordinary users can do to "seclude off" sections of the site from others, it's not a big deal.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Moderator's Note: That thread was hidden. Some significant portion of the posts clearly belong in the Backroom, but the original post and quite a few others really do belong in sexual health. I didn't have the time to sort through and divide the thread into a Sexual Health part and a Backroom part. I will try to get to it in the next few days. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drscorpio said:

Moderator's Note: That thread was hidden. Some significant portion of the posts clearly belong in the Backroom, but the original post and quite a few others really do belong in sexual health. I didn't have the time to sort through and divide the thread into a Sexual Health part and a Backroom part. I will try to get to it in the next few days. 

Thanks for the clarification - no worries or rush, I just was curious as to what happened, as I'd obviously posted in it somewhere along the line. 

• Administrators

I need two URLs to figure out what's going on…

1. The URL of the page where you saw the link (copy the URL at the top of the page in the URL/search bar)
  2. The URL where you saw the error message (right click and copy URL from page #1 - it's better than getting the URL from the page with the error since there may be a redirect going on).

Rawtop,

The error came up when I clicked on a link in my notifications.  The notification was that " quoted you in a topic: Poz tops at a bathhouse" (member name hidden so as not to drag him into this, but I can provide it if needed - it's in my notifications for last Wednesday, July 7).

When I clicked on that link, it took me to this page: [think before following links] https://breeding.zone/topic/41193-poz-tops-at-a-bathhouse/?do=findComment&comment=707914 

As drscorpio noted, it's probably because the thread is hidden and needs to be split up into two forums. 

• Administrators
On 7/13/2021 at 2:16 PM, BootmanLA said:

Rawtop,

The error came up when I clicked on a link in my notifications.  The notification was that " quoted you in a topic: Poz tops at a bathhouse" (member name hidden so as not to drag him into this, but I can provide it if needed - it's in my notifications for last Wednesday, July 7).

When I clicked on that link, it took me to this page: [think before following links] https://breeding.zone/topic/41193-poz-tops-at-a-bathhouse/?do=findComment&comment=707914 

As drscorpio noted, it's probably because the thread is hidden and needs to be split up into two forums. 

Yes, that thread is hidden. I'm not sure why. Perhaps @drscorpio can explain.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, rawTOP said:

Yes, that thread is hidden. I'm not sure why. Perhaps @drscorpio can explain.

The thread is more than half posts that belong in the Backroom. I hid it intending to split the two parts apart. I haven't gotten around to that yet. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.