BarebackRT.com profiles: Your Status and My Status

hungry_hole

Neg+Prep is so new I'm not sure yet.

Neg + PrEP, assuming they're telling the truth and are taking their pills properly, means they're neg. Part of the process of getting and staying on PrEP means having a load of bloods done every quarter simply to get the truvada, and one of the blood tests is an HIV antibody test. Not one person has been known to seroconvert while taking PrEP properly.

I'm on BBRT and I changed my profile to Ask Me, recently when I became hiv positive. I guess it's just because I don't want everyone to know unless I've spoken to them. Probably because I'm trying to get my head around it myself. I'll probably change it to positive after a while, or hopefully Undetectable if/when it applies.

• Upvote 1

Neg + PrEP, assuming they're telling the truth and are taking their pills properly, means they're neg. Part of the process of getting and staying on PrEP means having a load of bloods done every quarter simply to get the truvada, and one of the blood tests is an HIV antibody test. Not one person has been known to seroconvert while taking PrEP properly.

I guess I should have made what I meant a little more clear.  While someone may put Neg+Prep in their profile, it of course doesn't make it so.  What I meant was since it is new option on BBRT, I don't really know how much I would trust people who have it in their profile.  They could be truthful, or completely full of it.  If I had to guess, I'd say it is probably 50-50.

I'm on BBRT and I changed my profile to Ask Me, recently when I became hiv positive. I guess it's just because I don't want everyone to know unless I've spoken to them. Probably because I'm trying to get my head around it myself. I'll probably change it to positive after a while, or hopefully Undetectable if/when it applies.

When it says Ask Me, I automatically think they're poz.

• Upvote 3

To me, 'Ask me' says why not strike up a conversation, and well, ask him.  If you're that bothered about knowing.

I suspect that a great many do not take the time to 'Ask' and the reason for that is that they simply aren't bothered (or at least aren't bothered enough) to know their partners status.  And even if it does say Negative (and the person actually has a modicum of integrity), it is only negative as of 3 months before the last time they had a test - so lets face it even if someone classifies them self as Negative, a prospective partner has no real way of confirming it, nor has that individual any immediate way of knowing how truthful their statement is.

At the end of the day if you want to be truly safe you probably shouldn't be on BBRT in the first place.

Edited by sluttysublad
  • Upvote 1

As did I, still though, I'd rather them assume than for me to just have it out there, might sound stupid, but it's hard for me to explain. When I've come to accept it properly it will change.

Me too.  I figure they are poz and are tired of ass holes automaticaly saying no and doing so rudely when they tell them they are poz which I cannot blame it is fucking rude how some guys treat others who are poz on hookup sites.

• Upvote 1

Me too.  I figure they are poz and are tired of ass holes automaticaly saying no and doing so rudely when they tell them they are poz which I cannot blame it is fucking rude how some guys treat others who are poz on hookup sites.

It's something I'm only learning about now for the first time.

• 1 month later...
Guest JizzDumpWI

I am less cynical; so when I read neg+prep; I think most are honest about that.  But indeed, some are not.  Frankly if one is on PreP; it is mostly for themselves; not to protect those with whom he plays.  I would never suggest to anyone that they rely upon the OTHER GUY being on PreP.  There is a similar corollary for TasP - we rely upon the Undetectable guy to be honest about that.  But one can ask a number of questions and be reasonably certain the guy who claims to be undetectable actually is.  Finally, BB has risk; there is nothing 100% guaranteed.  But one needs to make their choices, and then willingly live with them regardless of the outcome.  

In USA, PreP regimen asks for a minimum of every six month STD panel along with HIV testing each quarter (and a host of other blood tests to be sure Truvada isn't wreaking havoc with liver and kidneys).  

Re: xxx+Other; I interpret that to mean the full range of other STI's one might have.

Guest JizzDumpWI

I'm also wondering about some of the guys who put "positive" when they have the option of "undetectable". Are they saying the are not on meds, or are there other reasons?

Not all who are poz are undetectable, but all who are undetectable are poz (well sort of, in fact those who are "neg" are technically undetectable but...).  If I were poz I would put poz in my profile, and in comments put in undetectable.  After decades of negative stigma associated with being positive (I know, that very sentence is wierd isn't it?); poz guys need to be proud of who they are.