Symbols or Flags?

5 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

So a little while ago one of my neighbors stopped by to pick up some plants.  I've noticed that he wears silver rings, sometimes on a thumb, sometimes on a index finger.  His boy also wears them, but I can't say I paid attention to which fingers (the kid is far to beautiful to look at his fingers very much).  I've also noticed that guys wear silver rings on fingers that are customarily unadorned in the backrooms. 

Are these symbols of barebacking? Is there some "code" involved, like with hankies?  

If so, that's a new one on me.

I'm old-school, as you know, so I come from an era when men would wear a wedding ring, if applicable (and if he chose one - I knew men who opted not to get one), and then on the other hand, one ring of another type - a class ring (high school or college), a signet ring, a fraternal/Masonic ring, or something like that. But the general gist was, one ring max per hand. Anything else was considered gaudy or froo-froo.

Women had a tad more leeway in terms of a wedding band and an engagement ring both on the left, and a single "other" ring on the right. More than that was tacky.

I'm as happy as anyone to toss toxic masculinity conventions aside, but it's still jarring to see guys with two, three, or four rings on a single hand. 

I understand that years ago, more than a wedding ring was a little bit off-putting for a lot of men.  Same with too-colorful neckties.  I bought the class ring, but never wore it much.

Well, I never really paid attention to the odd (at least to me) practice, but I know I've fucked guys at the bar with those silver rings.  If it has anything to do with Breeding, then maybe we already have a public "statement" available, and I just didn't know it.  I don't know those neighbors well enough to - well - just ask them.  I've never seen either of them at the bar or fuckjoints. I do know that there are occasionally different cars over there though.  

I "knew" a guy in grad school who seemed to believe a plain band worn on the left pinky identified him as a bottom. It has been almost 30 years, but I kind of think it was yellow gold. I am quite confident he was a total bottom since we fucked for a year and a half and he never topped me.

I do sometimes wear my college signet ring on my right ring finger, but not in a sex club situation. The only thing I know of that it has ever led to is being asked if I had been a college/professional football player by an airline seatmate. That has actually happened multiple times, oddly enough, and football is a sport I don't even enjoy watching.

11 hours ago, NWUSHorny said:

I do sometimes wear my college signet ring on my right ring finger, but not in a sex club situation. The only thing I know of that it has ever led to is being asked if I had been a college/professional football player by an airline seatmate. That has actually happened multiple times, oddly enough, and football is a sport I don't even enjoy watching.

I think that may be because of the increased visibility of sports championship rings and the decreased appeal of university/college rings, both over the last 3 decades or so.

As for the latter: I think the increased physical mobility of the college-educated classes in the U.S. over the past three or four decades has reduced their significance. When a large portion of the graduating class of a particular college stayed in the same  region for work (and tended to stay for a lifetime until retirement), other graduates of the college would recognize the ring, and it served as a kind of starting point for conversation (which class were you in? Did you have professor X?). And it helped distinguish college grads from non-grads, so it also served as kind of a class distinction.

Once people started moving around the country for careers, and doing so multiple times over a working life, the value of such a ring declined significantly, because a UCLA ring would go unrecognized in Atlanta or Nashville or Salt Lake City, just like a Columbia ring wouldn't be identifiable on sight in Seattle or Dallas.

Also of note: with the dramatic rise in tuition costs over the last 30-odd years, class rings may well be an expense few people are eager to take on, especially with student loans pending. 

Does the general gay community know what the initials “BBBH” and “RIL” mean, or is it just the guys on here and other sites like BBRT?

Do any symbols accompany these initials?

I could see myself having one or both of them tattooed on my butt, in bright colors, one on each ass cheek.

I don’t know if I’d be afraid of the possible pain though.  It is an idea that I never thought I’d even consider..

On 7/13/2022 at 11:24 PM, evilqueerpig said:

Though rarely used hanky code for bareback is navy with white polka dots.

Good to know. Although there are so many hanky-colors and meanings, that it's difficult to remember them all.

But is there also a signal for being a cumdump ? (I can't find it in the hankylist).

2 hours ago, BlindRawFucker1 said:

Does the general gay community know what the initials “BBBH” and “RIL” mean, or is it just the guys on here and other sites like BBRT?

Do any symbols accompany these initials?

I could see myself having one or both of them tattooed on my butt, in bright colors, one on each ass cheek.

I don’t know if I’d be afraid of the possible pain though.  It is an idea that I never thought I’d even consider..

BBBH does not have a graphic symbol per se, as far as I know. I have seen promotions where they are seeking to have people tattoo the hashtag #BBBH on their bodies.

I have no idea what RIL stands for.

I flag Orange (anything goes-anywhere) and most people understand that that means BB and/or pig. Using the pig snout emoji on my app profiles gets me the most attention though. As soon as people see it they message me and let me know all the nasty stuff they're into. I've met most of my close pig friends/fuck buddies this way. 

14 minutes ago, BlindRawFucker1 said:

Raw Is Law, “RIL.”

That is what i thought anyway.  I could be wrong.  It wouldn’t be the first time.

That's very possibly correct. When I looked it up trying to figure it out, I got lots of other possibilities, mostly non-sexual - which suggests to me that it might not be readily recognizable the way BBBH is. I don't know of any alternative meaning for BBBH, so I think it would be recognizable by most people for whom it was relevant.

Almost everywhere I go, most gay men will recognize the #BBBH meaning. As a matter of convenience, I have a few white, no name jockstraps and I write with a Sharpie the message I want, such as : CumDump, No Loads Refused, Load Me Up, Poz Loads Welcome, etc. These jpckstraps are about $10 on Amazon and they are pretty good quality with a wide band. I never had an issue with men mistaking my identity this way. 

Mr B Amsterdam also sells temporary tattoos with the words Cum Dump or Slut. They last several days and you can place them anywhere you wish on your body. They wash out pretty quick after a couple of days.

When it comes to colours, the two most widely recognised as fetish are the Red for FF and Yellow for WS. Anything else is up to the imagination of the wearer. 

However, in a dark room situation, my ass up and the hole wide open leaves very little room as to what I like LOL

For bars and clubs, I tend to be more "subtle", so just a pair of socks with the words Cum Dump or Pig, usually sends the right signal.

On 7/19/2022 at 2:59 AM, BlindRawFucker1 said:

Raw Is Law, “RIL.”

That is what i thought anyway.  I could be wrong.  It wouldn’t be the first time.

In the urban dictionary, there are 10 definitions for RIL, but not even this one. So, I'm afraid it may be misunderstood by some other communities...