Symbols on doors

AirmaxUK

Saw this in my Apple News feed today: 

[think before following links] https://apple.news/At8YHLhVURriaHfWQk6tO4w

tl;dr - people putting pineapple stickers on their cruise ship cabin doors to signify they are swingers. 

it mentions pineapple and upside down pineapple stickers although it didn’t explain the significance of the upside down one. 

wondered if there was an equivalent for gay men and if it’s something we might encourage in hotels as well as cruise ships… 

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://apple.news/At8YHLhVURriaHfWQk6tO4w

tl;dr - people putting pineapple stickers on their cruise ship cabin doors to signify they are swingers. 

it mentions pineapple and upside down pineapple stickers although it didn’t explain the significance of the upside down one. 

wondered if there was an equivalent for gay men and if it’s something we might encourage in hotels as well as cruise ships…

Apparently an upside down pineapple indicates that they are actively looking for an ‘exchange’. 

a gay equivalent is a great idea @AirmaxUK

If stickers on doors are a code thing, I’m surprised the readily available emoji stickers of eggplants, peaches, and up and down arrows used ubiquitously on apps aren’t already a widespread practice. But perhaps it’s exactly because the meaning is so commonly understood that they’re not - a covert code is only useful as long as its meaning is opaque to all but the target population. Once everyone knows what it means, the ones using it to hide their socially non-majority-sanctioned behavior would simply be outing themselves by using it, and would need to select an alternative. The wide publication of information about such a clandestine symbol is the first step in the discontinuation of its use for that purpose.

I would take stuff like this with a grain of salt. The media seems to over exaggerate things like this… for instance there is a story out about the FDA warning about cooking chicken with NyQuil. WTF?!!  

Though, I can imagine them handing out eggplant and peach stickers as you’re getting on the ship for a gay cruise. 

Edited by badjujuboy

On 9/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, AirmaxAndy said:

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://apple.news/At8YHLhVURriaHfWQk6tO4w

I got confused with the hanky code as I’ve always struggled to tell left from right 😉. Would it be something else to baffle me?

Well, I have participated at The Flamingo Resort where the party host would display a BBRTS logo in the front window to the room. I always thought it was to inform anyone entering this was a no condom party. But I guess to can be code that the party inside.  Or perhaps both 🙂

15 hours ago, RawPlug said:

I got confused with the hanky code as I’ve always struggled to tell left from right 😉. Would it be something else to baffle me?

Do what I do… raise your hands up in front of you… palms facing out and stick  your thumbs out. Your left hand makes an “L”   😀

Edited by badjujuboy
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I

On 9/22/2022 at 10:14 PM, badjujuboy said:

The media seems to over exaggerate things like this… for instance there is a story out about the FDA warning about cooking chicken with NyQuil. WTF?!!  

This is an awesome idea! Next time I have a cold I can make some homemade NyQuil chicken noodle soup and sleep like a baby while my liver shuts down!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
On 9/22/2022 at 10:14 PM, badjujuboy said:

for instance there is a story out about the FDA warning about cooking chicken with NyQuil

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/recipe-danger-social-media-challenges-involving-medicines

Truth is stranger than fiction... You couldn't make this stuff up!

• Upvote 1