Rectal Chlamydia infection - treatment duration?

Caught Chlamydia infection in my ass. Slightly symptomatic… red hole and “wet” feeling. Came back positive via rectal swab test in clinic. 

They prescribed 7 days of doxycycline 100mg 2x per day. All good…

Then a few hrs later I get call from the testing clinic to increase the treatment duration to 3 weeks!!

I’ve checked medical resources and published data and all day 7days is 99% effective for doxy. Certainly for azithromycin  (1g in a single dose) the efficacy is not as good…in low 80%. But for doxy… seems much better even when on the 7 days. 

They didn’t have time to “type/profile” for a resistant strain and nothing suggests it is…

any ideas why they want me to take for 3 weeks? I don’t wanot to take that amount of antibiotics due to impact on digestive system microflora. 

Thoughts? Experience?

• Like 2
  • Piggy 1

sounds like its lgv, which is a different strain of chlamydia which gets very nasty if not treated properly. usually the course is three or four weeks for lgv, so it seems they sent your swab to a lab once it was positive to see which strain it was (standard proceedure for rectal) and it came back as LGV. do extend the course as they reccomend, trust me here, if it#s not treated fully it will seriously cause damage (speak from experience)

Edited by Nay80
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it  

what I’m concerned about is the clinic didn’t do a swab. It was based on an independent swab test I did myself some days before and the lab contacted me and said to go to my nearest GUM clinic. That clinic who prescribed the 3 weeks of meds didn’t do a further swab or blood tests. Just asked if I had symptoms of which I said I had what I called a sensation/wetness. No discharge etc. 

So no typing on the swab was done and no further swab taken. 

Would you know if it was LGV in your ass? As in more symptoms? 

well ... as far as i can tell, some clinics presume it's LGV simply from descriptions of the symptoms, mostly because it can take a few weeks for lab results and by then the infection could get worse.

that's what my doctor has said to me in the past. and the symptoms they ask for in this case are usually : proctitis (inflamation of the rectal lining or opening), redness, itchyness, soreness, the skin may feel "chapped", eccess leakage (either clear fluid or snotty discharge or even blood). any of those symptoms along with a positive chlamydia result and they will assume you have LGV and want to treat it as soon as possible. like i said, lab results for LGV can take weeks and they usually don't like to leave it too long (if you want to know what happens if it's left untreated for too long i can go into details , but it's kinda gross)

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 8/4/2023 at 10:02 AM, Leathercouple said:

They didn’t have time to “type/profile” for a resistant strain and nothing suggests it is

Three days is about the right amount of time for resistance testing. It seems quite possible to me that the clinic contacted the lab directly and requested that (though the lab could have done it on their own - some testing codes are specified as "reflex..." which requires further testing if the initial one is positive).

52 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

Three days is about the right amount of time for resistance testing. It seems quite possible to me that the clinic contacted the lab directly and requested that (though the lab could have done it on their own - some testing codes are specified as "reflex..." which requires further testing if the initial one is positive).

here in the uk it's not instant or within three days, they usually have to send it off to a lab in another county and it takes ages to process, may not be collected that day, may not be delivered the next day etc etc etc. we get told it takes up to three weeks for an LGV swab result, so if the patient already has a positive chlamydia result as well as any of the above LGV symptoms, they tend to treat you for LGV before the lab results, as to avoid complications due to delayed treatment.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Nay80 said:

they usually have to send it off to a lab in another county and it takes ages to process, may not be collected that day, may not be delivered the next day etc etc etc

I guess that's a downside of socialized medicine. Over here in the states, on the other hand, we just have to sell a kidney to pay for it...

I also think Nay80 is right in his assumption, I tested positive once again for Chlamydia a couple of weeks ago which put a stop in my activities for 2 1/2 weeks and the symptoms I got was a very sore and itchy hole combined with a whiteish to clear discharge. So do the period to completion. It´s a bummer to get this thing during the summer as getting fucked outside it so nice.

• Piggy 1

1 hour ago, Chuckynultien said:

Sounds like LGV , I also had a 30 day treatment. Tested negative after the treatment, but still have anal problems.  Probably a fistula or / and thrombosis hemorroïde. Not painfull but  inpleasant. Next monday to special clinic. 

how long after first noticing the symptoms were you treated? if it is a stronger infection you may need another course of the antibiotics, i did, i think i was on them three months until it cleared, it got very agressive because it took too long to start treatment (thanks to covid restrictions at the time). i now have complications for the rest of my life 😞 both can be fixed with surgery but that's another story haha