Undetectable here and played with guy who is likely detectable.

So tonight, I (undetectable, been on meds for 10 years) fucked a guy who said he was undetectable, but then later tells me after we fuck, that he’s been on meds for only three weeks. I think he misunderstood what his doctor told him about how fast he’ll become undetectable, he claimed he was told 2-3 weeks. 

I’m not really worried but I’m more curious- is there anything that I should be on the look out for? Obviously there is always a risk of other STD, but as far as him being poz and likely detectable, does that make a difference for me if I’m on Genvoya and undetectable?

On 8/30/2023 at 6:09 AM, Marlin said:

If you are undetectable and on meds you will be fine.  It is extremely rare for an HIV positive man to be infected by a different strain of HIV and your medication contains the ingredients found in PrEP. 

Moreover: while there are different strains of HIV, medications are generally not strain-specific; if you're on treatment for HIV subtype "whatever", that's generally going to prevent replication of subtype "whatever else" as well. The danger, if there is one, is getting infected by a strain that is medication-resistant. At this point, such strains are rare in the developed world; they exist, but they aren't spreading very fast or very far.

• Like 1

I took regularly fuck with Poz detectable and undetectable men. Ive had a few STD's, but when I asked the doctor about having sex with other HIV Poz men I was told, it's not advised but, in theory if you are taking your meds on a daily basis and you are taking the steps to stay undetectable you will be ok.

But if you're regularly missing your meds and aren't mindful of your status, you can be re-infected or the meds your taking can no longer fight the infection, therefore new meds will need to tested for your HIV strain and administered.

10 hours ago, TXltnpozcumdump88 said:

I took regularly fuck with Poz detectable and undetectable men. Ive had a few STD's, but when I asked the doctor about having sex with other HIV Poz men I was told, it's not advised but, in theory if you are taking your meds on a daily basis and you are taking the steps to stay undetectable you will be ok.

But if you're regularly missing your meds and aren't mindful of your status, you can be re-infected or the meds your taking can no longer fight the infection, therefore new meds will need to tested for your HIV strain and administered.

If you are regularly missing your meds, you aren't going to get re-infected. You will allow your virus to adapt enough to become treatment resistant. Then they will switch your meds to a different medicine. Luckily they keep making strides in new medicines.

If a patient routinely misses doses, they should let their care team know,  so they use medicines like Tivicay that are more sturdy and  aren't as easily overcome by resistance.

Our concept of community health is more than a little inspired by the Book of Leviticus. Doctors,  especially straight Doctors, are supposed to encourage you to not have piggy sex,  

There is a reason why the Catholic Church invests so much in Healthcare and hospitals. They can push their ideology thru their doctors.  I had a doctor recently tell me to use condoms during oral sex.  My main primary physicians have been gay men for the past two decades.  Neither of them have told me to stop having piggy sex or to not sleep with an HIV+ man.  The truth is statistically that most negative gay men who are sexually active will fuck HIV+ guys who haven't received their diagnosis yet.  That means high viral loads. 

Truth be told.  Sex is a crap shoot. All my positive friends in Chicago are proof positive that your worries are valid yet not necessary. 

The best thing you can do for your health is see a LGBTQ+ physician. We have health concerns and lives that are much different and need physicians who have experience or see past heteronormative Western Medicine. 

Edited by Shotsfired
More info
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Shotsfired said:

Our concept of community health is more than a little inspired by the Book of Leviticus.

This is not actually surprising. Before antiseptics and antibiotics, the hygiene instructions in Leviticus were pretty much the gold standard in public health. If you are not a biblical literalist, you might reasonably conclude that it was actually written for that purpose.

I had a doctor recently tell me to use condoms during oral sex. 

Presumably, they hadn't tried this themselves. Or they would know that's a really silly idea. Been there, tried that (it was his idea). Yecch.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shotsfired said:

The best thing you can do for your health is see a LGBTQ+ physician. We have health concerns and lives that are much different and need physicians who have experience or see past heteronormative Western Medicine. 

I would also say if you're not comfortable discussing sex and your anatomy with a doctor, FIND A NEW DOCTOR. And yes, a gay one. I had a lesbian doctor for years and she was super amazing. 

She was once looking at something on my dick (a zit it turned out) and I laughed and said "Lisa, you're the only woman who's ever touched my dick, except my mother when she changed my diapers as a baby." She was so cool and laid back that she just laughed. 

Edited by Sfmike64
  • Like 3