There isn't one, insofar as I know.

What you'll find is that if you use a banned word, it will be replaced with [banned word] automatically by the forum software - I do not think that this generations an infraction report, but I don't know that for certain.

What MAY WELL get you an infraction is using a deliberate misspelling of a word that's banned in order to get around the ban. The reason for that is simple: most banned words are not banned because the specific word is offensive or something, such that a workaround (like "n-word" for, well, the n-word) solves the issue. Banned words are banned because they almost always lead to discussion of topics that aren't permitted.

As an example, there is a five-letter word that starts with "t" which is derived from a Polynesian term for "forbidden", and it's often code for topics like bestiality or pedophilia. So changing it to a homonym by changing the vowels, for instance, makes it clear you're trying to evade the ban on a word while maintaining its meaning.

4 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

There isn't one, insofar as I know.

What you'll find is that if you use a banned word, it will be replaced with [banned word] automatically by the forum software - I do not think that this generations an infraction report, but I don't know that for certain.

What MAY WELL get you an infraction is using a deliberate misspelling of a word that's banned in order to get around the ban. The reason for that is simple: most banned words are not banned because the specific word is offensive or something, such that a workaround (like "n-word" for, well, the n-word) solves the issue. Banned words are banned because they almost always lead to discussion of topics that aren't permitted.

As an example, there is a five-letter word that starts with "t" which is derived from a Polynesian term for "forbidden", and it's often code for topics like bestiality or pedophilia. So changing it to a homonym by changing the vowels, for instance, makes it clear you're trying to evade the ban on a word while maintaining its meaning.

Thanks.  That's a start at least in determining from the contexts what these banned words have in common.

17 hours ago, BBBxCumDumpster said:

Where can I find the list of banned words?

I've been wondering the same thing.  Sometimes while reading a response, I see the [banned word] announcement within the sentence, and I can't even figure out what it might be.

The only reason I'd like to know what these words are, is so that I don't use one and get my knuckles rapped.  I have figured out that a certain "deity?" who lives in a very hot, fire-filled pit is one of them, and references to certain activities including the underage is probably also one.  I wonder (rather occasionally) how many there actually are ......  

One reason word lists like that aren't made public, at least on some sites, is that members can then argue the *particular* word they used wasn't on the list, so they can't be cited, much less punished, even when the post itself clearly violates a rule.

Knowing just a couple of the words that are banned, I've been able to almost always decipher what was intended when I see "[banned word]" in a posting by someone else. Not necessarily every time, but I can't remember the last time when I couldn't deduce it from context.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BootmanLA said:

One reason word lists like that aren't made public, at least on some sites, is that members can then argue the *particular* word they used wasn't on the list, so they can't be cited, much less punished, even when the post itself clearly violates a rule.

Knowing just a couple of the words that are banned, I've been able to almost always decipher what was intended when I see "[banned word]" in a posting by someone else. Not necessarily every time, but I can't remember the last time when I couldn't deduce it from context.

I have a good idea sometimes but I'm not always sure.  My thinking is if the topic is acceptable, then why not a particular word? If a word is banned the what about synonyms? 

2 hours ago, BBBxCumDumpster said:

I have a good idea sometimes but I'm not always sure.  My thinking is if the topic is acceptable, then why not a particular word? If a word is banned the what about synonyms? 

Some words invite unwanted exposure on social media sites, forums and community groups.

Its why we now use the term unalive to refer to various types of deaths that I probably can't mention.

18 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

but I can't remember the last time when I couldn't deduce it from context

That surprises me not one bit ... 

13 hours ago, topblkmale said:

Its why we now use the term unalive

I don't think I even want to know .... 

On 2/5/2024 at 6:10 PM, BBBxCumDumpster said:

Particular words that are banned often seem to spur online conversations into forbidden topics. That polynesian-derived term I mentioned, for example, might reasonably be construed to include things like blood play, fisting, etc. - which themselves are not forbidden topics. But someone who posts that he's interested in [that Polynesian word] will almost always spark public replies about people into things that ARE forbidden topics.

So it's a way to keep topics from spiraling into that sort of thing. That particular word, which means (essentially) "forbidden", isn't really necessary to discuss the range of acceptable "forbidden" topics that are not actually forbidden here. 

Totally understand why there is not a glossary of the forbidden words ….but do hope that understanding will be given to those of us who are dyslexic and my unintentionally misspell a word… (not because we are intentionally misspelling to get around the auto word replacer - which by the way is really cool- didn’t know that was set up)

and lol I had to google Polynesian word for forbidden.. didn’t know that word of Polynesian…. One of the things I love about this site is how educational it is (about a VERY broad range of topics 😉)

• Upvote 1