What are you favourite Koran quotes?

Cumlaut2

I first had someone say to me "There's no reason Muslims and gays can't get along" probably about 15 or 20 years ago.

Someone tell me their favourite bit of the Koran, or a "really great time I had in a Mosque that one time". Or your best stories out on the town with Muslim friends.

Don't try smartass replies by talking about Christiianity, because  I haven't promoted it or expressed any illogical "admiration" for it.

Just tell me your favourite verse. Or alternatively, give me a list of the emergency appointments that all stopped you from attending a Mosque open day, or reading the Koran, for the last consecutive 22 years since September 2001. Or your favourite verse.

19 hours ago, ktopper said:

None. Never read it. Or the bible either. On this forum I prefer to stick to sexual topics. I argue about religion or politics on other forums.

Uh... this *IS* the politics forum. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BootmanLA said:

Yes, my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Perhaps I should refrain from posting after the second glass of Jameson.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

6 hours ago, ktopper said:

Yes, my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Perhaps I should refrain from posting after the second glass of Jameson.

This topic was originally posted in General Discussion and was moved to the Politics forum later (by me, because that's where it belongs). So the Jameson was not at fault.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2024 at 4:24 PM, Cumlaut2 said:

I first had someone say to me "There's no reason Muslims and gays can't get along" probably about 15 or 20 years ago.

the book is all well and good, it's the practisers that leave plenty to be desired. But the Koran is definitely against same sex relationships of any kind, period. 

Sayyidna Abu Hurairah ؓ عنہ reports that the Holy Prophet ﷺ said: "Four types of people are, when they begin their day, under the wrath of Allah and when they reach their evenings they are under the rage of Allah." I asked: "Who are they, 0 Messenger of Allah?" He said: "Men who imitate women and women who imitate men and he who goes unto animals and he who goes unto men".

و عن انم عباس ؓ قال : قال رسول اللہ ﷺ ـ من وجدتموہ یعمل عمل قوم لوط فاقتلوا الفاعل و المفعول ب [think before following links] https://quran.com/en/4:16/tafsirs/en-tafsir-maarif-ul-quran

Even in 'moderate' countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia, there are long prison sentences for the practice of sodomy. No doubt, they're hold-overs from the colonial era, but funny, when the coloniser countries have become some of the more advanced in LGBTQ rights, it's the colonised that have incredible regressive anti-LGBTQ laws. 

Religion sets the expectation that our personal choices are defined by others.  And certain there are certain social choices that make sense.  When the scope of what we do is combined to our body?  I'll listen to ones suggestion but up to me to decide what I will do.  

I joined a couple of different religions as a young man.  Ultimately each turned out to be a big ego telling everyone else what to do; and followers telling each other what to do.  None were of a mindset to listen and make ones own choice about themselves.  

Over the years we see example after example of religious leaders fucking the neighbor (man or woman) all the while telling everyone else that they should not do that.  Or that greed is terrible while buying a bigger Gulfstream.  

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 9:37 AM, Poz50something said:

Even in 'moderate' countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia, there are long prison sentences for the practice of sodomy. No doubt, they're hold-overs from the colonial era, but funny, when the coloniser countries have become some of the more advanced in LGBTQ rights, it's the colonised that have incredible regressive anti-LGBTQ laws. 

Considering that Islam arose in the Arabian peninsula, to the extent that places like Indonesia and Malaysia are Muslim, it's due to a sort of colonization as well - a religious one, rather than a strictly political/economic one, but just as invasive. 

On 4/17/2024 at 11:15 AM, PozBearWI said:

Religion sets the expectation that our personal choices are defined by others

And, of course, remembering to put some dough in the "offering" plate every Sunday ... 

When I was in high school, had my first job, my dad (who was on a couple of the church boards) had the "pledge" discussion with me.  I was treated to an oration of how crucial it was to The Lord that we pledge to give X amount every Sunday, so the institution could "plan" for "expenditures" etc, blah blah blah.  I countered with something like "God will provide for whatever is needed, right?".  NOOOO .... was the reply: it's your responsibility to maintain the (huge 19th Century paeon to Institutionalized Lutheranism) physical plant, the pastor needs a new car, blah blah blah.  The intersection of what "The Lord" said and the real world, was definitely in conflict (this was well after the beating I caught for laughing at some inanity during the service), and since I was heading off to school shortly, I turned the tables on dad, using the same phrase he'd used on me a million times:  "We'll see ..." 

No, I didn't "pledge" any amount.  As I recall, I took the pledge envelope apart, and made a paper airplane ..... 

On 4/18/2024 at 11:46 PM, BootmanLA said:

Considering that Islam arose in the Arabian peninsula, to the extent that places like Indonesia and Malaysia are Muslim, it's due to a sort of colonization as well - a religious one, rather than a strictly political/economic one, but just as invasive. 

There's no flavour of waffle you don't like, is there?

As long as you are droning on about the history of where "something something originated"... you're hoping that'll somehow impress somebody? 

Instead of answering the question, because nobody has any interest in Islam except ridiculing people for being (rightly) afraid of it.

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, KEVORKIANKEVORKIAN said:

There's no flavour of waffle you don't like, is there?

As long as you are droning on about the history of where "something something originated"... you're hoping that'll somehow impress somebody? 

Instead of answering the question, because nobody has any interest in Islam except ridiculing people for being (rightly) afraid of it.

What he said is correct.

On 4/17/2024 at 3:09 AM, ktopper said:

On 4/17/2024 at 9:54 AM, viking8x6 said:

This topic was originally posted in General Discussion and was moved to the Politics forum later (by me, because that's where it belongs). So the Jameson was not at fault.

I think that calls for another glass of Jameson!

I read the Koran. Can't remember any of it.  Also read the Bible, Upanishads, teaching of the Buddha, Confucius, Chang Tzu, and more. Can't remember them either. For true insight, I recommend the writings of Dorothy Parker, Samuel Clemons, Groucho Marx, and Ben Franklin. But I think the best religious quote I know is one of my own:  "Anything that needs to be interpreted from the Divine, can be manipulated by men."

• Upvote 1