GLAAD purges "homosexual" word

It just seems no one has a thick skin anymore.   It's like, every word out there can be received as offensive and no one (general statement) assumes positive intent.

Society today is very weak in many areas.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 5:51 PM, chipygmalion80 said:

GLAAD now says the word “homosexual” is outdated, derogatory, offensive and a term to avoid.

GLAAD says the new term is SGL -- Same Gender Loving. 😐

I'm a month late on this news.  It's quietly made the rounds elsewhere, like on Reddit /askgaybro and by YTube pundits like Brad Polumbo.

A couple random thoughts ....

Yes, the word "homosexual" is a bit outdated. Victorian Era terminology tends to be a bit ... stuffy... at best.

I hate acronyms. I always have to look them up and often confuse them with something else that uses the same acronym.  GLAAD? Yeah -- had to look that up. It's a media organization that advocates for better ways to portray gays, et al. in the media. I can understand why they'd suggest moving away from use of the term "homosexual", but I can't say I like their alternative. "Same Gender Loving" sounds so ... 1960's. Images of monochrome daisies and the song "Happy Together" danced through my head when I read that term. I guess 1960 is better than 1860, but it still seems more than half a century out of date. 

And back to the acronym.  SGL is an abbreviation for "single".  I can understand the desire to update terms, but don't do it in way that can cause confusion in other ways. 

What or who are "Reddit /askgaybro and by YTube pundits like Brad Polumbo."?  We never had those in the 1960's.

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, funpozbottom said:

What or who are "Reddit /askgaybro and by YTube pundits like Brad Polumbo."?  We never had those in the 1960's.

Reddit (/ˈrɛdɪt/) is an American social news aggregation, content rating, and forum social network. Registered users (commonly referred to as "Redditors") submit content to the site such as links, text posts, images, and videos, which are then voted up or down by other members. Posts are organized by subject into user-created boards called "communities" or "subreddits". Submissions with more upvotes appear towards the top of their subreddit and, if they receive enough upvotes, ultimately on the site's front page. Reddit administrators moderate the communities. Moderation is also conducted by community-specific moderators, who are not Reddit employees.[5] It is operated by Reddit, Inc., based in San Francisco.[6][7] [from Wikipedia]

Like BZ, only with every topic under the sun, each in its own subreddit.

YTube is of course YouTube (you knew that). X (formerly known as Twitter) appears to be the ascendant platform for video content these days, but perhaps TikTok is winning since Musk bought it? Pick your flavor of the month, any serious content will be mirrored to all of them...

Brad Polumbo (@Brad_Polumbo) is a libertarian-conservative journalist and the co-founder of BASEDPolitics. He was Policy Correspondent at FEE from 2020 to 2022.

His work has been cited by top lawmakers such as Senator Rand Paul, Senator Ted Cruz, Senator Pat Toomey, Congresswoman Nancy Mace, Congressman Thomas Massie, and former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley, as well as by prominent media personalities such as Jordan Peterson, Sean Hannity, Dave Rubin, Ben Shapiro, and Mark Levin. Brad has also testified before the US Senate, appeared on Fox News and Fox Business, and written for publications such as USA Today, National Review, Newsweek, and the Daily Beast. He hosts the Breaking Boundaries podcast and has a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. [from the Foundation for Economic Education web site]

On 4/22/2024 at 5:51 PM, chipygmalion80 said:

GLAAD now says the word “homosexual” is outdated, derogatory, offensive and a term to avoid.

GLAAD says the new term is SGL -- Same Gender Loving. 😐

I'm a month late on this news.  It's quietly made the rounds elsewhere, like on Reddit /askgaybro and by YTube pundits like Brad Polumbo.

I didn't get my Survey Says that asked me whether I thought "homosexual" was offensive.  Did anyone?

My hubby laughed when I told him and said: "GLAAD is a bunch of f*gs" <-- 😆now that IS an offensive word to some, and that's why he used it. 

The trouble I have is that I know nice people involved in local chapters of GLAAD, PFLAG, etc. and I trust(ed) they mean well.  I've not asked them about this word ban, yet.

Ironically, GLAAD's President Ellis said, just a few months ago, to leave the LGBTQA+ community alone and don't use us as political pawns in this mess. 

What do folks make of this change?

I found this story on 2 right wing pages.  Anything directly from GLAAD?  

On 4/22/2024 at 6:44 PM, bbpoznow said:

why don't  we just move on and stop  trying to stir up crap  by trying to ban certain words that we deem offensive. 

why dont people just take  others as they are, you will find most are great people  

No one is banning anything.  According to one article I found, they're saying it's out of day and suggest using gay or lesbian.