Unrest at the Universities

hntnhole

On 5/9/2024 at 11:39 AM, PozBearWI said:

The current campus unrest really doesn't make sense.  First, the Biden administration has been trying to get Israel to change their tactics to minimize or eliminate civilian casualties.  So the nagging question I have is who is riling them up; and for what end?  Could this be MAGA initiated stuff on campus?  Reports are legion that perpetrators often aren't student....

1. This is a laughably misguided description of how badly the Biden Administration has bungled their hamfisted attempts at controlling the genocidal spoiled child that is the government of Israel.

2. Netanyahu openly flouts Biden, crosses his every "red line" and forces Biden to move the goalposts to keep favoring Israel. Now they are in the absurd position of continuing to aid and abet the genocide while also considering sanctions on the ICC, 

3. Jewish students have participated in many of the campus protests, all of which have been peaceful. The violence has come from the cops and the Zionist counter-protestors/agitators (see what happened at UCLA). 

12 hours ago, danolivaw said:

This is a laughably misguided description

That's a bit over the top, but the basic statement is, I'm sorry to say, pretty much the case.  I don't agree at all with the Biden Administrations treatment of the PM of Israel.  I'm not a diplomat either, but I see the Administration's response to the Netanyahu government's behavior as weak-kneed at best - pussified would be a better descriptor.  

The only thing I can come up with for a reason is, the reelection committee has undue influence on foreign policy, and (I hate to even commit this to - well - a computer screen) has convinced the President that he needs the Jewish American votes so badly that he simply must not piss them off before the election.* 

was hoping the Benny Gantz "incident" a few weeks ago would be the catalyst for a serious reassessment in Israel, but have heard not one more word since it occurred (in the major media).  Now that Nettie has resumed his voracious destruction of Palestine, Palestinians, anything not actually Israeli, my sympathies are with the Palestinian cause, and not with the Biden Administration at all.  

So, while that particular issue is deeply disappointing to me, the prospect of the Orange Bozo squatting in the White House for another 4 years (and likely until longer - until he kicks the bucket) it's not so disappointing that I'll support the other guy for one eyeblink. 

There are many issues to consider when elections roll around every 4 years - and this disappointment in Biden's foreign policy** is only one issue.  On other issues, I support Biden's Presidency, and will vote accordingly.

*there are roughly 6.5 million Jewish voters in the US, about half that number of Palestinian voters. 

**I happen to think that the defense of Ukraine could have been handled a bit more effectively too.  

• Upvote 1

Indeed nothing has been perfect in Biden's admin.  And how could it be with him or anyone else?  It is always a set of calculations and compromises to achieve a mostly acceptable outcome.  

The alternative though is that one faction makes all the rules which will largely satisfy that faction; but at the expense of the majority.