Biden Out

topblkmale

4 hours ago, norefusal said:

ok. maybe. look, if Harris wins i will absolutely be leading the celebratory conga line thru the streets. our first female president, and a woman of color to boot. however, i live in the usa and absolutely nothing in recent years shows us to a non-sexist, non-racist nation over run with white supremicist men. i always assumed he was trying to win so he could hand the job to Harris after he gets past the kkk roadblock of the voting booth. now she's got to get past voter suppression, gerrymandering, too scared to say out loud how sexist/racist they really are liberal white voters etc Looking forward to this country pleasantly surprising me. 

This country elected a black man, twice. And a woman won the popular vote in 2016. Our nation has been ready for a long time now. It's Biden who wasn't.

I'm just glad someone finally convinced Grandpa to hand over the keys to the LeSabre before he hurt someone.

23 minutes ago, BarebackedBear said:

This country elected a black man, twice. And a woman won the popular vote in 2016. Our nation has been ready for a long time now. It's Biden who wasn't.

I'm just glad someone finally convinced Grandpa to hand over the keys to the LeSabre before he hurt someone.

all i can say is we must both be definitely democrats as we agree 99.9% but are quibbling over details 😜

the proof of the pudding will be in the tasting. i hope you're right about the voters. i think it too but i disagree that the facts support it. if we were a nation as you describe, Trump wouldn't even have a political career, never mind be constantly within range of the win. have you talked to a trump voter recently? they are mixing up new batches of kool aid to drink everyday. 

im hoping this shuts up the stupid youth vote "im not voting because of gaza" bs but i also know that young people are notoriously undependable when it comes to actually getting their asses to a voting booth. 

• Upvote 1
  • Piggy 1

23 hours ago, BarebackedBear said:

It was ego and hubris.

I was with you until the above.  I'll agree that it was the last thing he wanted to do, given his life of service to the Nation.  Everyone has some measure of "ego" in their makeup, and given that the accomplishments through the years are many, that doesn't make "hubris" a valid accusation.  

More to the point, he subsumed whatever measure of those two characteristics in favor of the good of the Nation.  That's an honorable accomplishment in and of itself.

There's no similar act on the other side (the former President's administration) that is within the same universe; only acts of the opposite nature.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/22/2024 at 11:30 AM, nanana said:

why is it that the republicans and independents knew this would happen before the democrats did?  happy to see the democrats move beyond denial finally.  

It's called having a contingency plan. I was always told that if you didn't have at least possible solutions for a situation that you hadn't thought things out.

On 7/22/2024 at 5:23 AM, ChasingAss said:

What's crazy is Trump is an excuse for this kind of foolishness (not targeting you specifically). All that for Trump to be in the lead for 2024 when he could have let Democrats have an actual primary last year. Maybe folks should stop denying what is right in front of their face until it becomes a radioactive (heh) situation.

Traditionally, the party with a POTUS in their first term doesn't bother with a Primary at all. While the GQP had a Primary in 2020, who the heck (outside of Massachusetts or Illinois) has even heard of Bill Weld, Roque De La Guerte Ferra, or Joe Walsh?
[think before following links] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2020_Republican_Party_presidential_primaries

Democrats forced their unfit old candidate off the ballot while the cult embraces their old unfit orange leader pretending he hasn't been found in court to be a rapist, a con artist, and a felon. All hail the naked emperor Trump they chant as he tells them he is blatantly trying to buy votes, that he would ship criminals to the US and if you actually listen to the audio of what he said in his speech that "burgers are down 70%" in Venezuela because he can't fucking read the world burglaries off a teleprompter. 

Edited by Rillion
  • Downvote 1

On 7/21/2024 at 6:30 PM, nanana said:

why is it that the republicans and independents knew this would happen before the democrats did?  happy to see the democrats move beyond denial finally.  

Lol, Trump's campaign people did not see this coming, the specially told speakers at last week's convention to focus their attacks on Biden and not Harris because they were sure that Biden would never drop out. 

Trump chose Vance not to appeal to swing states because they were already sure they had them in the bag but to try to fire up the base. Vance does not appeal to anyone that isn't already a Trump supporter. 

You say the Republicans saw this coming but yet they spent millions of dollars last week attacking Biden and only Biden....

Edited by Rillion
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/21/2024 at 9:30 PM, nanana said:

[think before following links] https://www.patreon.com/posts/no-doubt-and-108624475?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR0qe8czlTZimsf2YnjB2h09BM_Yp_HwUiGhlWoxlhGYELCa5usv1Xzu4rg_aem_Su87aH2IbVoa6TQSQ5wFcg yeah - they definitely saw this coming.......

On 7/22/2024 at 2:09 AM, BlackDude said:

planning for 2028

I'll bet they're planning 8 years in advance.  Kamela's not quite 60 - in her prime for two successive administrations.  

Let's see how she actually does.  There are just too many other variables between now and 2028; so no point in speculation at this point.  

Yes indeed if she does a good job, if we're not at war, if we haven't had another pandemic, etc....  Yeah she might go for a second term.   She is clearly a thoughtful person; I have no concerns.  Obviously there will be politics, because us humans are just too fukken stupid to not go there.  We're hiring her to do a job, not to become queen.  

I hope she wins, not only for our own sakes; but it's been way too long not having a female president; and a person of color shouldn't be our WHY they should be president; but I am damn glad we have already and that our leadership continues to reflect our under represented part of our society.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/22/2024 at 7:43 AM, PozBearWI said:

There is, finally, a real opportunity.

It used to be that the candidates were not set UNTIL their respective party conventions.  Not a year before any elections.

For a lot of good reasons, Harris as President makes sense.  And while I thought I would have liked Biden to endorse both a P and VP candidate when he stepped out (which I have always thought would happen), truly having the Convention actually argue this; and come of it with a VP pick is getting us BACK to democratic election process.  There are a lot of great choices.  And this passes the torch to the next generation, as we should....

I was glad the R's waited until (pretty much) the convention to pick a VP; the party didn't pick the VP, Trump did and the party just said (essentially) "yes master lord and savior".  

At least in the 20th century, the president has always chosen his vice presidential running mate. The idea that "the convention" did so is bad history. The party always ratified the nomination, but the president was always in the driver's seat and I can't think of a single president in the last 120 or so years who was stuck with a VP he didn't want.

It's true that the party sometimes has had influence - especially when the president was a draftee nominee, like Eisenhower; the party pushed him to choose Nixon because they thought a younger and strongly conservative second in command would help the ticket. But that's about as close as it's come.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

At least in the 20th century, the president has always chosen his vice presidential running mate. The idea that "the convention" did so is bad history. The party always ratified the nomination, but the president was always in the driver's seat and I can't think of a single president in the last 120 or so years who was stuck with a VP he didn't want.

It's true that the party sometimes has had influence - especially when the president was a draftee nominee, like Eisenhower; the party pushed him to choose Nixon because they thought a younger and strongly conservative second in command would help the ticket. But that's about as close as it's come.

I agree the Presidential nominee officially chooses their running mate.  I find it hard to believe though that McCain actually chose Palin...

• Haha 1

Often the party pushes the VP onto the candidate. I do not believe for one second Obama's first pick was some old coot from Delaware who called him a "clean ... and articulate" Black man.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 757neg4poz said:

Often the party pushes the VP onto the candidate. I do not believe for one second Obama's first pick was some old coot from Delaware who called him a "clean ... and articulate" Black man.

Sure it could’ve been. The general rule has been to pick a competent VP but someone who isn’t a “threat” to the Presidential nominee. Biden (that “old coot from Delaware”) was this. Did he sometimes go off book on the campaign trail? Sure. But he also remained the VP for 8 years and bowed out when it was deemed Hillary’s time to be the President. His ego was getting in the way of Harris being the presumptive candidate for a long time longer but it also, by bowing out this weekend, forces the republicans to re-work their strategies after being solely focused on Biden and his age. The way they’re saying this is “illegal” showcases exactly why they’re scared.