Is PrEP gonna be enough?

BritishCumdump

So I've got a guy who's really hot and wanting to breed me, but I'm on event based prep and he's newly diagnosed poz, he says his last VL was 2.5 million and he's not on meds yet. Will prep protect me? I know it's 99.9% effective but what is the reality of this? Would it be okay or reduce the risk if he pulled out before cumming? Like will his precum be as risky as taking the full load? 

If you're concerned enough about it to ask the question, you should take additional precautions.  No one on this site or in any hospital is going to tell you anything different.  

[think before following links] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4058443/#:~:text=The relationship between viral load values and HIV

This article I believe is still the best study associating viral load with rate of infection for HIV.  It DOES NOT solve for any impact of PreP, your general health, any physical issues you have, etc.  But you can ballpark it.

If you are concerned with being HIV positive though, you know your options.  His load sounds like a dream to me but I'm already poz and a bunch of other things 🙂

• Like 1

The study basically says that somewhere around 50-100K infection rate is more nominal, but then as the VL grows (to something like 2.5M) the rate of infection is not linear, and infection rate starts to increase more quickly.  Meaning the higher the value, the closer you get to 100% chance of transmitting the virus.

The theory was that many/most new infections are from other newly pozzed guys where the VL spikes for a few months.
The VL reduces as your body fights it but over time (years/decades) HIV increases again.
Precum will likely be high VL especially if he's horned and pounding you for a while

On 10/3/2024 at 9:34 AM, PozToxVersPig said:

If you're concerned enough about it to ask the question, you should take additional precautions.  No one on this site or in any hospital is going to tell you anything different

Thanks for your reply to the British cumdump.  Advice from those who really know what they're talking about is invaluable.  

6 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

Thanks for your reply to the British cumdump.  Advice from those who really know what they're talking about is invaluable.  

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not (I hope not 🙂 ).  There are a couple of threads floating around right now that are tangential to this:  "I want to bareback with no risk at all" type questions be that HIV, STIS, or having their butthole ripped by a big dick.  

I'm like - the field is pretty plain and obvious.  If you can figure out bareback sex with no HIV and no STIs, then travel back in time and save an entire generation of gays,

7 minutes ago, PozToxVersPig said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not

Nope - wasn't at all.  Health-related discourse is the last place sarcasm is appropriate, in my opinion.  

It's not that I can't use sarcasm - I often do in the political threads, and it's generally unmistakable.  

I think that guys who have "lived-experience" can always offer more depth in their responses to questions, and health-related issues are among the more important / serious questions we discuss on BZ.  

Thanks for chance to be clear .... 

I agree @hntnhole.  And indeed what @PozToxVersPig wrote is really the only way one could answer that concern.  If the OP is concerned that PrEP (and I'll add doxyPEP to the mix of options here) aren't enough; sometimes telling a potential playmate "no thanks" is the best option.  

A VL of 2.5 million for me tends to confirm the newness of his seroconversion.  PrEP is made to deal with that although I would definitely recommend being ON it for a couple of weeks before having sex with this particular guy.  And I would stay on it for a couple of weeks after our last fucking.  But it is pretty damned effective and thus likely to have a good outcome even if you used it 2-1-1.  

ALSO:  the only 100% "safe" is to do nothing.  So if one is unable to find some risk "acceptable" risk then one's choice should be pretty obvious.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

Nope - wasn't at all.  Health-related discourse is the last place sarcasm is appropriate, in my opinion.  

It's not that I can't use sarcasm - I often do in the political threads, and it's generally unmistakable.  

I think that guys who have "lived-experience" can always offer more depth in their responses to questions, and health-related issues are among the more important / serious questions we discuss on BZ.  

Thanks for chance to be clear .... 

LOVE it.  Remote load given! 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/3/2024 at 12:18 PM, BritishCumdump said:

So I've got a guy who's really hot and wanting to breed me, but I'm on event based prep and he's newly diagnosed poz, he says his last VL was 2.5 million and he's not on meds yet. Will prep protect me? I know it's 99.9% effective but what is the reality of this? Would it be okay or reduce the risk if he pulled out before cumming? Like will his precum be as risky as taking the full load? 

Short answer @BritishCumdump is that no matter how you look at it, there is always a risk of infection. Even at 99.9% effectiveness. You, yourself, may the unlucky 0.01%. 

If you are a very risk adverse person, you definitely should not engage in this activity. 

2.5m VL is very high. An event based regimen is supposed to protect you, but there are no 100% guarantees in life. Absolutely none. But the odds of contracting the virus whilst on PrEP are definitely very low. Low, but not zero. 

My advice is to keep your desires in check for now, until you figure yourself if you are willing or not to accept the risk. Prep or no Prep. 

Naturally, being on prep reduces dramatically the risk of infection. But not to zero. 

I would encourage you to also check with your doctor (the "Consultant" as they are referred to in NHS) and see if your PrEP medication is effective as there are possible interactions with other medication that you may take, which may affect Prep effectiveness, especially on an event-based regimen. 

Lastly, no man, no matter how hot he is, and no fuck, is ever worth your health. 

Know the risk and know what are your limits. Fantasy and Real Life are always VERY different. Being poz comes with many strings attached and some of them are really not that glamorous. Sometimes, a fantasy lived through a wank is much preferred to a real fuck-up of your life...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2024 at 4:18 AM, BritishCumdump said:

I can't tell from your post if he thinks he is helping you act out a fantasy, or he is being really conscientious and letting you know his status so you can take the appropriate precautions.

If you are concerned about it, wait until he is on meds and has blood work indicating that his viral load has dropped to a level you feel confident that PREP will offer you protection. If he is just being conscientious he will understand.

• Like 1