Not voting because Harris is a woman?

tallslenderguy

Obama suggests many Black Men are not voting because Harris is a woman? While i'm sure that is true about some men in general, i don't think it's a reason exclusive or even necessarily more intrinsic to race (this article seems to imply that of Hispanic and Black culture?).  i'm not convinced sexism is more prevalent in Hispanic or Black culture than it is in white?  my guess is there are probably just as many white guys who don't want a woman for president?  For instance big part of the (majorly white) conservative religious right does not believe "God" wants a woman in a position of authority over men, and i can see it as yet another reason the religious right votes for trump.  

Did think it interesting that Obama brought the topic to the surface, though i find it interesting he targeted Black Men instead of just sexism in general. 

"Former President Barack Obama on Thursday admonished Black men who are hesitating to back Vice President Kamala Harris’ presidential campaign, telling them it’s “not acceptable” to sit out this election and suggesting they might be reluctant to vote for Harris because she’s a woman.

The striking comments by Obama, made to a small group of voters in a surprise stop at a local Harris campaign office in Pittsburgh, were part of a more forceful campaign message delivered by the former president on Thursday as polls continue to show a neck-and-neck race. At a rally in the city later that evening, Obama issued some of his most searing public criticisms of his successor to date."

[think before following links] https://www.yahoo.com/news/emotional-obama-makes-harshest-case-021419151.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&segment_id=DY_VTO&ncid=crm_19908-1202929-20241011-0&bt_user_id=mZOeFnFVmUgoCS3DvN%2Bb8SspCNLN9pI8ZcKQ33pI%2BZjlXWj4Awehm3CUiz%2Bmtm%2F%2F&bt_ts=1728653940317

• Thanks 1

I'm on the outside looking in, so keep that in mind. But I think Black male culture, BROADLY speaking - not in all cases, certainly - is more misogynistic than white male culture. There are evangelicals on the black side just as there are on the white side, for instance, and black preachers tend to be as conservative, publicly speaking, on sex as white ones.

Separately, I've noticed that there's also a sort of resentment of Black women for the fact that they've had to step up, across the board, to head a lot of Black families given that so many Black men aren't part of the family unit - whether because they're incarcerated, lack the resources to support the family, find that public assistance programs discourage nuclear families, or what have you. (I'll note that a lot of these problems are ones caused by White people, who wrote the laws that locked up so many Black men, who write the public assistance rules that favor single mothers over intact families, that make it difficult for Black men to find good jobs in many areas, and so forth.)

That's not to say white men are much more likely to support Harris - far from it. But I think Obama's point is that where some might think Black men and women, both, would want to come together to support electing a Black woman as president, it's not as simple for a lot of the men. 

Again, outside looking in, so I may be completely off-base in this. 

• Upvote 3

This is patently false, and a narrative created to blame black men and hedge their bets in case Kamala loses. Once again, they are trying to create a gender divide in the black community by pandering towards black women. Because in their twisted minds, they think there are some Madea/ big momma and every black family who’s gonna basically sass the black man up real good and drag them by the ears to the polls.

Not only is the narrative false, it’s  insulting. Are black men not allowed to make up their own minds without being called misogynistic, uneducated, ill informed, or some other pseudo racist trope? Are white men misogynistic for not voting for Kamala? Or white women races for not voting for Kamala?

and there may be a few loud, black feminist who echo Obama sentiments, mostly because they are misandrists who see black men as a threat to their perceived power in the community, but for the most part, a lot of black women are not falling for this. 

Edited by BlackDude
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BlackDude said:

This is patently false, and a narrative created to blame black men and hedge their bets in case Kamala loses. Once again, they are trying to create a gender divide in the black community by pandering towards black women. Because in their twisted minds, they think there are some Madea/ big momma and every black family who’s gonna basically sass the black man up real good and drag them by the ears to the polls.

Not only is the narrative false, it’s  insulting. Are black men not allowed to make up their own minds without being called misogynistic, uneducated, ill informed, or some other pseudo racist trope? Are white men misogynistic for not voting for Kamala? Or white women races for not voting for Kamala?

and there may be a few loud, black feminist who echo Obama sentiments, mostly because they are misandrists who see black men as a threat to their perceived power in the community, but for the most part, a lot of black women are not falling for this. 

Of course Black men are allowed to make up their own minds. But the fact is, Harris *is* less favored by Black men than by Black women, and it's worth looking into *why*. And I, for one, frankly can't understand why *any* minority, given Trump's long-seated, well-established, up front and personal antipathy for all but the "token" few of any minority, would support the man. Certainly none of his policies are going to help any but the wealthiest of the wealthy among Black people. Jis unwavering support for the police "knocking heads" and conducting mass arrests - and for upholding convictions even in the face of both exonerating DNA evidence AND inculpatory DNA plus a confession from the actual criminal, ought to give pause to *anyone* concerned with the well-documented history of discriminatory policing in this country.

On the other hand, I'm always willing to learn. So if there's a reason you believe Black men, in particular, should support Trump - one that explains why his support is higher among Black men than Black women - I'm all ears. And I don't mean "Because they like what he says". I mean what, specifically, does he do or does he say that they find appealing?

29 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

Of course Black men are allowed to make up their own minds. But the fact is, Harris *is* less favored by Black men than by Black women, and it's worth looking into *why*. And I, for one, frankly can't understand why *any* minority, given Trump's long-seated, well-established, up front and personal antipathy for all but the "token" few of any minority, would support the man. Certainly none of his policies are going to help any but the wealthiest of the wealthy among Black people. Jis unwavering support for the police "knocking heads" and conducting mass arrests - and for upholding convictions even in the face of both exonerating DNA evidence AND inculpatory DNA plus a confession from the actual criminal, ought to give pause to *anyone* concerned with the well-documented history of discriminatory policing in this country.

On the other hand, I'm always willing to learn. So if there's a reason you believe Black men, in particular, should support Trump - one that explains why his support is higher among Black men than Black women - I'm all ears. And I don't mean "Because they like what he says". I mean what, specifically, does he do or does he say that they find appealing?

Just because you don’t support, Kamala Harris doesn’t mean you support Donald Trump. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BlackDude said:

Just because you don’t support, Kamala Harris doesn’t mean you support Donald Trump. 

It shouldn't, but it does; at least in understanding how it will turn out.  The election is going to be a close one.  

Kamala woudn't have been my first choice.  But the one's running rarely are.  So it always comes down to doing the least harm to most.  

10 minutes ago, curiousaboutbb said:

Another Trump administration will end this country! Being gay will become illegal and this site will be gone. If you care about any of that, you will vote Kamala. Period.

It certainly appears that it might end this country.  Certainly he has disclosed plenty but how much of that actually happens we won't know until it is too late.  I'm personally not of a mind to vote for that risk.  Ms Harris' isn't perfect, and I don't expect her to be.  But she will it appears work to solve actual problems whereas Agent Orange is out to get retribution for imagined wrongs.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I wanted to give Kamala a chance because I thought she might change Biden's policy with Israel and while she paid some early lip service to that, her actions since have shown that the US under her leadership will continue to unconditionally support a genocidal colonial proxy of the Empire. I cannot in good conscience vote for that, and I am ashamed I voted for Biden in 2020 because I did not know that he would aid and abet a genocide. 

Edited by danolivaw
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BlackDude said:

In a system where only one of the two major party candidates can win - it's delusional to think otherwise - not supporting one effectively means supporting the other. Trump's supporters, as well as the people who don't really like him but don't want a Democrat, are going to turn out in droves. If someone doesn't vote AGAINST Trump and vote FOR the only person who can defeat him, then it's effectively supporting him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, danolivaw said:

I wanted to give Kamala a chance because I thought she might change Biden's policy with Israel and while she paid some early lip service to that, her actions since have shown that the US under her leadership will continue to unconditionally support a genocidal colonial proxy of the Empire. I cannot in good conscience vote for that, and I am ashamed I voted for Biden in 2020 because I did not know that he would aid and abet a genocide. 

And yet a Democratic president is the only even faint hope we have for any pressure to be put on Israel to moderate its attacks. Trump has already clearly signaled he's for letting Israel wipe the Palestinians off the map - his own son-in-law has mused about making an Israeli beachfront resort from the Gaza Strip, and Trump gave a green light during his term to a vast expansion of settlements into the West Bank territories.

One of these two - Harris or Trump - is going to be the next president. Do you want the worse one, or the less-than-worse one?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, curiousaboutbb said:

Another Trump administration will end this country! Being gay will become illegal and this site will be gone. If you care about any of that, you will vote Kamala. Period.

Trump will not do that.  First of all he had gays in his previous administration.  If Comrad K is elected it will be the end of this country as the founders intended in my opinion.   Right now I am confident Trump will be elected.  I pray for that every day.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 7