Cost of PrEP to you - what you'd be willing to pay

PhoenixGeoff

Just out of curiosity, for those of you on PrEP, how much does a 30 day supply of Viread/tenofovir cost you?

For anyone who's HIV- and either on PrEP or considering it, how much would you be willing to pay per month? At what point would the cost to you personally outweigh the risk reduction it offers?

It's costing me $225/month in copay. I'm not happy about the price - not at all.

My research indicates that that's about 1/3 of the retail price (which admittedly your insurance doesn't pay). Would you happen to know if they'd cut you a break if you were HIV+ or does your plan just have poor prescription drug coverage?

I gotta say, I am grateful as all hell that I was able to get myself on with the VA. I try to use private insurance whenever I can to keep the burden off taxpayers as much as possible (and resources going to more deserving vets, like those injured in combat), but it's been a safety net that's really taken care of me when I had very few other options.

• 1 month later...

Just another link I found for PrEP.

Cipla, an Indian pharma company makes a generic version of Truvada called Tenvir-EM. They are well known for making generic HIV drugs, and are actually licensed by some of the major pharma companies to make generics for programs in the developing world to combat HIV/AIDS. If cost is a factor because of lack of health insurance, or decent perscription coverage, I would go to an online pharmacy that has the Cipla drug asap.

This place has a six month supply for $400. $66 dollar a month for Truvada beats many health plans prices.

http://www.northdrugstore.com/buy-Truvada.html

Edited by wood

Gilead has a prescription assistance program if you lack insurance and are within a certain income limitation. It provides free Truvada for PrEP, on the condition that you get an hiv test and some renal panels every three months.

I know it's an obsession with me, but do get renal work done if nothing else. I'm meeting more and more people in the UK who've reacted badly to the tenofovir component of Truvada. If my (then) consultant had read my bloodwork properly, I'd still be able to do things like walk for more than half a mile.

• 9 months later...

under 4 bucks a month,

BTW i changed healthcare plan ( because Obamacare SUCKS) and got a gay doctor at the Fenway health cntr.(gay hospital) in Boston. I fully disclosed as a BB'r most of my life...no judgements, or invasive questioning. i dunno what you guys are afraid to talk openly with your doctor...get a doc that you CAN talk to. i had PREP scrip as soon as my bloodwork and piss came back negative. took about a week.