What Was Your Family's Religion?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What Was Your Family's Religion?

• Protestant - Born Again Christian
    • Protestant - Other
    • Roman Catholic
    • Other Christian
    • Jewish
    • Other Organized Religion (Muslim, Buddist, Hindu, etc.)
    • "Spiritual", but not part of an organized religion
    • Atheist / Agnostic / Deist

I'm an atheist, my dad's an atheist. My mom I'm not sure about, but if anything she's a Lutheran. Anyway, we never practiced any religion in our house. Haven't been to church unless it was for a wedding or christening.

Roman Catholic. We used to go to church every Sunday until the priest stopped by our house and asked my father why he didn't have more children (except for me and my sister). Father threw him out and stopped going. I only go to church for weddings and funerals.

Roman Catholic and still am. Went to Catholic grammer school and fortunately it was a pretty tolerant liberal on in New York. One thing I remember specifically is when our priest was asked during religion class whould we be condemned if we converted to another faith he eventually told us that if we converted from our heart God would not condemn us. That stuck with me and formed the groundwork for my ability to adapt my own beliefs (sexuality etc) to religion.

• 2 months later...

Ukrainian Greek Catholic. It's a "smells-and-bells" religion. Worship procedures, customs, art & music resemble Russian Orthodox but we're united with the Pope of Rome. Which can be problematic. Not so much for me personally. I'm not particularly hostile toward the Pope - I just don't care much abt. what he says re. sexuality. Altho even a stopped clock is right twice a day...

Also heavily influenced by my quasi-observant Jewish relatives.

I was thinking abt. this thread & it came to me how ironic and paradoxical it is that so many gay people - esp. men - continue to be attracted to Christianity, despite the bigotry, anger and hate Christianity has so often aimed at us. But check out http://cathedralofhope.com - the place is packed on Sundays. I've attended with friends on Sundays (and felt quite out of place) and have been to many a memorial or funeral service there.

Go directly to the source if you have even the slightest interest in my religious affiliation: http://ugcc.org.ua/ - it has English-language pages. And yes - I can read & understand the Ukrainian original.

I was raised as a Catholic by two very traditional Catholic parents, went to a parochial school for 8 years and then to a public high school, was an altarboy for 10 years, chuch lector, Secretary of the Church Council, all before I reached the age of 20. Now, I'm a non practicing Catholic, because of the Catholic Church's stance against gay relationships and their hypocratic teachings!

My stepfather was Catholic so when he and my mother married she and I converted when I was about 4 or 5, so I was basically raised Roman Catholic. My extended family on my mother's side and all of my father's family are Protestant (Presbyterian and AME mostly).