GeoLocation WILL be coming to Breeding Zone

rawTOP

How accurate is Geolocation on http://html5demos.com/geo on your desktop computer?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. How accurate is Geolocation on http://html5demos.com/geo on your desktop computer?

• Extremely Accurate
    • Reasonably Close
    • Not Very Close
    • Completely Wrong

• Administrators

At first I thought I'd turn Breeding Zone into more of a hookup site. Then I decided this site has too narrow a focus, so I decided to start a hookup site. Well, the software I'm going to use for the hookup site comes from the straight world - so it's not as good as it needs to be with finding hookups that are close to you. So that means I need to develop GeoLocation capabilities, so I figured I'd experiment here before getting into the hookup site.

Here's my approach. Let me know what you think of it...

There will be two GeoLocation interfaces:

• A distance away view (similar to Grindr, Scruff, etc)
  • A map (similar to what we've had on here in the past - only much better)

The accuracy of the GeoLocation will depend on a few factors. (If you don't like technical details - skip this section).

• If you're logged in and a new IP address is detected (or I feel like I need to reconfirm the position of your IP address), then I'll have your browser request permission to have your position, and if you say OK, I'll have a pretty accurate position for you. This works best on mobile devices that have GPS, but it's often just as accurate on desktop computers. To see this in action check out this example.
  • If members see problems with the position generated, they'll have the option to manually enter an address or intersection and appear there. This will be handy if they want to obscure their location or if they want to appear in a location before they arrive there (e.g. when they're about to go on vacation). But only logged in members will have this option and other people seeing it will know that it's either obscured or a future location.
  • If you're not logged in or if you say 'no' when asked to share your location, then I'll have to fall back to a less accurate location.
    • If I've seen your IP address before and someone has given me a precise location for the IP, then I'll use that. That's a bit of a crap-shoot though. If you're on a cell phone an IP address could be used by just about anyone anywhere in your city. As I see an IP address over and over I'll get a sense how much I can trust the data I have on that IP address.
    • Otherwise I'll look up the IP in a geolocation database. I was thinking of using a paid service to have more accurate results, but I just tried and it was 4 miles off from using my desktop and home network and about 15 miles off when using my iPhone and the AT&T network. Results like that aren't worth paying for, so I'll use the free version of the geoIP database.

What all of that means in practical terms is…

• I'll have really accurate positioning for members who share their locations.
  • I'll have pretty accurate positioning for people in places like coffee shops and offices once some member shares their location from that IP.
  • Positioning for everyone else is a bit of a crap shoot - it'll probably be in the right city. We'll be lucky if it's more accurate than that.

In terms of features and potential issues…

• When you're in distance view or map view you'll be able to exclude people with imprecise locations.
  • Logged in members will be able to exclude themselves from map view entirely if they want.
  • Logged in members will be able to obscure their location on map view by moving their pin slightly - a few blocks in cities, a few miles outside of cities.
  • Users who have not logged in will not be able to see member details - just the fact that someone is there (unless the member specifically enables public viewing).
  • Users who have not logged in cannot hide themselves from the map view. If you're a lurker this may be an issue for you. However, I'll try to make that preference persist after logout.
  • There will be the ability to see "ghosts" / people who've been somewhere in the past. In other words you can set the period of time in the past that you want to see - it won't just be active users (though that will be the default).
  • There will be the ability to see users on my other sites. For example, if you log into Raunchy Fuckers you'll be visible on Breeding Zone - which makes sense since it's the same user name and password. But I'll also have the ability to show users between other sites - say Breeding Zone and the hookup site (once it's off the ground).
  • You'll be able to set a status and a note that will be visible. Everything from "not looking" to a phone number to something like "Blindfolded cumdump taking loads now - Room 312, Warm Sands Motel". Clearly you need to take your personal safety into consideration when leaving notes in the system.
  • This means that this is the solution for "The Cumdump Network".

One other important change that's coming is that the location field on here will be mandatory going forward. If you don't fill it in I'll look up your city name and enter it as a default value.

In terms of timing of the rollout - I expect it to take me at least a month to even have anything to test. So if we're lucky there may be a working system just after the new year. I'll experiment first with CumdumpNetwork.com and a test page on here that will only affect people who seek it out and go to it.

Let me know your thoughts and any concerns you have about my approach.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RawTop- the Geo function works so well, when I tested it I felt that fukkin arrow poke me in the ass !! LOL-- I am so glad this feature is coming- especially requiring guys to list their city at the very least-- I have railed about this for a while-- posters putting up a comment and no way to figure out where they are and how their post may affect me

I have been on the CumDumpNetwork and not hit upon yet-- I hope the functionality of geo locating will start pulling hard cock closer to my willing holes

• Administrators
Unfortunately, but not surprising, my location was way off. I have satellite service, so it places the IP address in the center of Canada. I guess I have to make sure the location is filled in, as with many other sites. LOL

Thanks for explaining the one "completely wrong" result in the poll. You are indeed an exception.

How is satellite even possible? Isn't it a 4 second round trip for every item requested? I always heard they combined satellite with a dial-up or ISDN so you'd make your requests via the phone line (since the request is small) and then get the return files via satellite (since satellite can have massive bandwidth). The techie in me doesn't understand the physics of your internet connection :)