BBBH.com Branding…

rawTOP

How should the (future) BBBH.com hookup site be branded?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How should the (future) BBBH.com hookup site be branded?

• (Just) #BBBH
    • The Bareback Brotherhood
    • Bareback Bunkhouse

• Administrators

Initially I wanted to save the phrase "Bareback Bunkhouse" for a tongue and cheek, "family friendly" iOS app, but I've had a number of people say they like Bareback Bunkhouse better than Bareback Brotherhood in the context of a hookup site. So I'm just wondering what you guys think. There are three options for branding of BBBH.com:

1. #BBBH
  2. The Bareback Brotherhood
  3. Bareback Bunkhouse

Either way it'll be on BBBH.com. I'm just wondering which branding you guys like best in the context of a hookup site.

The other consideration was that I felt weird about changing the common meaning of BBBH, but I'm starting to get over that qualm.

Edited by rawTOP

Guest JizzDumpWI

RawTOP, you have a better marketing sense than I do. So whatever you decide, I think the form and function will outstrip any name... That said you know the name I like.

• Administrators
Bareback brotherhood has a serious sound to it. Bareback bunkhouse sounds more fun. Either one would be fine. It depends on the feel you want for the site. Marketing wise you can have more fun with bunkhouse.
Bunkhouse sounds like a place, a destination. Also has a weird "Western" vibe. Brotherhood is a bit lofty. We just want to fuck, not bond. #bbbh comes with a lot of twitter followers. The hastag makes it current, hip and younger. Two cents please.

My bf thinks 'brotherhood' sound Aryan/racist (he's Asian). Bunkhouse does have some fun overtones

A bunkhouse is a hostel or barracks-like building that historically was used to house working cowboys on ranches in North America. As most cowboys were young single men, the standard bunkhouse was a large open room with narrow beds or cots for each individual and little privacy.

So yes, definitely a western vibe. And cowboys ride bareback sometimes, right? Initially I was worried it would be too kitsch a reference, but I'm warming up to it.

As someone noted Bareback Bathhouse also meets the BBBH acronym. But to me it sounds too common.

There were overtones of "brotherhood" that I hoped to work off of. What I'm thinking of doing in that respect won't fit quite as well with the bunkhouse concept - or at least it won't seem connected to bunkhouse where it would have seemed connected to brotherhood. But that is what it is.

If bunkhouse sounds like fun, then that's a really good thing to say about it.

And yes, I'd love to do Bareback Bunkhouses as destinations - summer camps sorta thing. But that's a very distant goal and would take a bunch of money and organization. (I can't do every cool idea that comes into my head).

#bbbh comes with Twitter followers, but is #bbbh tied to the word brotherhood or is it just bareback/breeding in general by now? We'll see I guess since it seems bunkhouse is the clear winner (so far).

RawTop do you think that BBBH is a somewhat damaged brand because of the past use of BBBH?

Would using BBBH confuse your effort with that Mark dude (wasn't their all sorts of drama when he was the BBBH guy?)?

I could be completely wrong but when I read BBBH for some reason the connotations are sketchy (and I have no idea why other than vaguely remembering drama), if that is accurate; wouldn't using BBBH be the equivalent of Ford naming another car the Pinto?

I actually like the Bath House idea. It may be 'common' but that also means most people have an idea of what it would be about. Bathhouses are known for random bare sex, which goes good with what we like here.

I don't have any past history with the prior bbbh.com board so I don't have any connotations there.

To me the BrotherHood has too much chance of being seen as White-Powerish to some, or political to others. While I know there are probably a few of those sorts here, I think it would be a bad idea to do anything that could be seen as aligning the board with that. We have enough problems with people giving us shit for promoting the pozzing thing. If they mistook the intent of 'Brotherhood' for being racial etc that could really increase the bad press and hackers...

Somehow the BunkHouse name (though a fun thought about what could happen in one) for some reason doesn't seem like something that would draw me to it. I could be wrong though. It would be my second choice.

Your board, do what you feel best, but those are my thoughts.

• Administrators
RawTop do you think that BBBH is a somewhat damaged brand because of the past use of BBBH?

Would using BBBH confuse your effort with that Mark dude (wasn't their all sorts of drama when he was the BBBH guy?)?

I could be completely wrong but when I read BBBH for some reason the connotations are sketchy (and I have no idea why other than vaguely remembering drama), if that is accurate; wouldn't using BBBH be the equivalent of Ford naming another car the Pinto?

I don't think the #BBBH brand is damaged. I think if the meaning keeps being narrowed into chem sex and stealthing then it will become damaged - and neither of those things are at the core of #BBBH. Breeding is at the core. "Sketchy" doesn't scare me. Good sex is often a bit sketchy.

The reason why I'm seriously considering Bareback Bunkhouse is to avoid being "confusingly similar" to iBi's site. His site is all but dead these days. Most of the time there's zero people logged in. And his Alexa score is now over 1,000,000 which indicates that very few people go to the site (and that score includes both his blog site and his bbbh site). But as long as it's up, it's a problem for me. I've come to the conclusion that iBi is not the nicest or most stable of guys. I really don't want to give him grounds to mess with me, so if that means I have to use a term other than Bareback Brotherhood, then I'll do it. Didn't want to do that, but will if I have to.

Edited by rawTOP

Guest JizzDumpWI

rawTOP maybe we need to open up defining options for the ending "bh". For me one of the reasons I don't care for brotherhood ending is Marks site. Interactions are so few and far between I just don't visit anymore. Not a rejection of Mark's concept, but it is so unused as to be worthless, with poorly constructed navigation.

so b and h... Prior posters have suggestions... I kind of like GermanFucker's suggestion. But pretty much for me it would help to gather all suggestions, then vote on top three...

• Administrators

When it comes to branding some things that sound good in your head don't sound so great when they roll off your tongue. So literally verbalize the idea and listen to yourself say it. Imagine saying Bareback Butt Hunt to a friend. Sounds good on paper, but I can't see using it. Bareback Brotherhood and Bareback Bunkhouse both meet the "would I mention that to a friend?" test for me. #BBBH on it's own isn't as strong as say BBRT. Your tongue sorta gets tied a bit on the 3rd B - at least mine does. And if you told a friend Bareback Bathhouse they may think it's a physical place.

What I'm trying to say is that a poll won't be the only thing that determines what I use. The poll just tells me whether it meets the first test - a compelling concept. Then I have to try the concept in different setting so see if it still holds up.

I like both 'brotherhood' and 'bunkhouse'.

'Brotherhood' denotes kinship and community, and I LOVE the idea of promoting us as a related group of individuals which should, in theory, care for one another. Isn't the whole idea of breeding/seeding, etc. the idea of making connection, often a biological one? The idea of us being brothers bound together is very powerful to me. Saying that Aryans taint the word 'brotherhood' is like saying we can't build classical buildings because of Albert Speer (who was the nazi architect). Ceding 'brotherhood' is giving them too much power. I also like its male-only meaning.

"Bunkhouse" is HOT. I once stayed at a gay resort Timberfell Lodge which had "bunkhouse" accommodations as an option. Some guys staying there told us that older dudes would come in the night and wake them up trying to have sex. All right! "Bunkhouse" implies rest, accommodation, and the allure of potential encounters. The transient nature of bunkhouse users gives an anonymous edge. "Bunk" rhymes with "spunk". "House" implies home, like a house of drag. And the western/gay affiliation has historic roots of the "Kansas City Trucking Company" kind.

Right or wrong, "bathhouse" repels some gay men. Those gay men who are bathhouse-identified are only a subset of the bigger pool of gay men who might like barebacking, bunkhouses, and brotherhood. Bathhouses are bathhouses. Since the website isn't an actual bathhouse and doesn't represent an actual one, why limit the potential patrons by calling it that?

"Butt Hunt" alas, addresses only the desires of tops. Bottoms would be on a 'dick hunt', yes? Gotta include the dick hunters.

"Brotherhood" seems to imply the site will have community support functions beyond sex in a way 'bunkhouse' does not. Maybe the intention of the site will help decide the name?

Oh and the gay magazine "RFD" used to embrace the idea of different meanings - 'rural free delivery', 'radical faerie digest', etc. Maybe the brotherhood has a bunkhouse in it?