how many gay men have herpes?is it very common?

I had been poz for herpes when 18 after a bj to a guy /i was sick with a flu like and it appeared on my mouth i very rarely had outbreaks about 2 in 4years i had/also shall i tell people? Mine isnt type 1 which is very easily to give but type 2.also do i risk to get it genital oneday from sex?

• Moderators

Virtually everyone has been exposed to some form of herpes. Most of us contract it as children from other children in the cold sore form.

If you have no sign of an outbreak (including no tingly feeling), I don't think you have to tell every trick. You should probably tell anyone you are planning on dating though.

• Administrators

I tested positive for herpes a year ago or so, but to my knowledge I've never had an outbreak. Sorta makes me wonder if it was a false positive or something.

You may have not "noticed" the initial outbreak, which can sometimes be minor...not unheard of to never have another outbreak, but you are still carrying the virus.

I tested positive for herpes a year ago or so, but to my knowledge I've never had an outbreak. Sorta makes me wonder if it was a false positive or something.

Guest JizzDumpWI

I think most have herpes. After a few outbreaks a few months apart my doc started me on daily acyclovir. No outbreaks in years.

Herpes tests are notoriously inaccurate. Also they are finding now that some people are getting HSV1 infections on their genitals, which is usually HSV2 (genital herpes). HSV1 is milder than HSV2, but the symptoms are the same. Herpes outbreaks will naturally decrease in time for most healthy people, so treatment may or may not be warranted. Because of this many doctors even in regular STD screenings DO NOT include tests for Herpes. I'm fairly sure I have HSV1 because I remember getting cold sores as a kid, but haven't even had one of those in 15+ years.

I remember hearing an interview about some Hollywood people like Dennis Hopper, etc in the 70's where someone said "anyone who was anyone had herpes" because they were all sleeping around and with each other, so its obviously easily transmissible. If I had to guess I would think that many gay men out there have herpes, and don't know it. Not all people even get an initial outbreak, and for some people even that is mild and goes away quickly. It becomes a much greater issue for people that are HIV+ because the lower immune response means that outbreaks can become very frequent, painful, and last a long time. Another reason why staying negative, or going on treatment for HIV asap is very important.