POZ bottom, Neg top, Bareback: What's the risk?

Guest Saturn1

Guest Saturn1

I know that there is always some risk but I hear that the risk of getting pozzed is less if the neg tops the poz bottom. Is there ANY truth to what I've heard? I'm thinking about topping poz bottoms bareback. I think the sex would be amazing due to the risk involved. Anyone out there get the gift from topping a poz bottom bareback? Let me know!!! Thanks!!!

There was someone who did get the bug, despite being a strict top, so it's just like anything else, there's low risk, but the chance to catch it is still there, just not so high. I'd say it's almost like (from what I've seen and heard lately), around below 10% chance of getting it. Not so bad, but still a surprising shot of catching it, just like with a condom, nothing's going to be 100% sure of nothing happening.

From what I have read it usually gets transmitted from poz btm to neg top when the fucking is super rough and there is lots of fluids exchanged because it can enter through the tops piss hole basically. The other of course is sores, cuts or abrasions on the tops penis.

Of course one can get HIV by topping, just look at Africa. However, the example of Africa (where most men get it from women when they are freshly infected themselves) also shows that the most important factor remains viral load. If it is very high, the top also has a high risk. Not as high as a bottom, but still immensly high. If the bottom is on meds the risk the risk is as near as makes no difference zero.

• Administrators

It's slightly more risky than being a safe sex bottom. Being a bareback top is 7 times safer than being a bottom. Being a safe sex bottom is about 10 to 20 times safer. IMHO, being a bareback top is within the realm of "safer sex".

Oh, and if the bottom is "undetectable" it's completely safe. Safer than fucking a guy who thinks he's neg.

One more thing to throw into the mix. Are you cut, or uncut?

The actual risk is difficult to calculate. It's not something you can ethically study. The stats out there are an estimate - an educated guess. Of course it can happen on your fist exposure, or never happen. Elsewhere I've given two examples. An uncut top who got it in one out of one bareback fucks with a guy outside of his relationship, and a cut top who got it in one out of two bareback fucks in his entire life. Both guys I've chatted with since December.

The estimates are based on running into a high viral load Pozzie. The above two example were most likely a guy who didn't know he was Poz, in or closely after the Window Period, and had a viral load in the millions. An undetectable Pozzie one is much less risk. Look up the report from the Partner study.

From metadata studies the estimates say a cut top has a 1 in 909 chance per exposure. An uncut top has a 1 in 161 per exposure. A bottom has a 1 in 71 chance per exposure. A metadata study summarizes data from all other studies found in the medical literature.

The Neg top, Poz bottom arrangement is referred to as "Strategic Positioning" or "Sero-Positioning." Go google those for backup info.

Edited by Poz1956

• 4 weeks later...

Great post Poz1956. Very informative.

I think if a top wants to remain negative but likes to bareback; they should be more responsible and protect themselves.

I wonder if the risks of passing from bottom to top are increased the more often the two of them meet. Surely longer time apart lowers the risks.

The per exposure risk of transmission, is just like rolling a pair of dice. Each and every time you roll the dice, the odds it coming up snake eyes are exactly the same. And remember the estimated risk I referred to are with a high viral load Pozzie.

The OP didn't explicitly state this, but I assume a fuller description of who he wants to plow is, a Pozzie Bottom with and Undetectable Viral Load.

Looking at the documentation from the interim report from Partner study, presented at CROI 2014, with the data they have so far, None of the negative partners caught HIV from their Poz spouse, regardless of whatever kind of sex they had, homosexual or heterosexual. They need more data before they'll product the final report in 2017.

To the OP's point, data from the Partner study so far shows that zero gay, Neg, top only partners became Poz in an estimated 11,749 BB fucks

Seriously guys - Go read the report from the Partner study

Or Hear the presentation, See the slides, and Listen to the Q & A session from CROI 2014 conference.

It's certainly a possibility. It would have to be a very recent fuck (like the guy just before you at a gang bang). He's also have to be a very high viral load type - infected a few weeks ago & can't test Poz yet, leaving him with a VL of around 10 million. A guy in the chronic phase of infection with a viral load 30,000 to 120,000 would be a candidate too. Basically - somebody not on treatment. It would not, and science is saying probably could not, be an undetectable Pozzie.

An uncut top would far more susceptible to that scenario, than a cut one. I don't think it would be any higher risk for a cut top, than fucking an untreated Pozzie bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and if the bottom is "undetectable" it's completely safe. Safer than fucking a guy who thinks he's neg.

I know these two guys in a relationship who are in this situation, undetectable poz bottom and neg top. Doctor has said that the top should not bother with PrEP. The chances for him if he is always the top are close to zero.