Argos Leather Bar In Amsterdam Closes - Blames Gay Apps

NLbear

I read today that famous leather bar Argos in Amsterdam has closed. It blames dating sites and apps such as Grindr, making it easier for guys to meet without having to go to a bar. Also guys can connect easier through apps and dating sites where they can express their fetishes and specific preferences and hook up with likeminded guys without having to figure it out about other customers in a bar.

Are dating sites and apps the death of gay bars?

Have bars/clubs closed in your area because of dropping customer visits?

I almost always connect with guys through internet now, but simply because there is no gay bar where I live at the moment. I do remember the excitement of going to a gay bar when I lived somewhere else. A place full of gay guys. Sometimes hit and miss, but exciting nevertheless. Made me fucking horny, if I wasn't already.

Yeah people will always go to bars to socialize, meet friends, hang out, etc.  it sounds like that bar was too focused on being a cruisy leather bar where guys picked each other up and did not try and become a destination for leather guys looking to socialize sop they went tits up cause they dfid not change with the times.  Blaming Grindr is a lame excuse if you ask me .  Cause any successful bar draws people ub for a number of reasons not just cause they have a dark room in the back where guys can fuck.

Bars are closing in Seattle because of the rents going up and the gentrification of the gay area and I suspect the influx of tech workers who tend to be straight coming to work at Amazon are not really helping out for the gay bars.  Though none of the long time bars have closed in years and none are in danger that I am aware of.

I remember that bar well from my visits to Amsterdam over the last few years. Amsterdam itself has become a lot quieter on the gay front, when comparing when I was there last year to being there in say 2008. It seems to be symptomatic of a lot of Europe, where the gay community doesn't have the disposable income to be out and about several times a week. Now there is a tendency to go to the big weekend "events", let off steam and go back home and save for the next one. 

You can't blame an app for your bar closing.  If you see business is going down try to get specials or events to get people to go out. 

I personally do not like to cruise on social media.  I prefer to go to Slammers and try my luck in a dark room since I am shy to talk to someone, but I do sit at the bar there when I go and sit mostly alone.  I had a really good time Saturday night, got a mouth and ass load. 

Although I recognize and respect the role that bars have played in gay history and culture, I never had a use for them as someone who does not drink. The only reason I used to go to them was to cruise for sex, which was obviously much easier to do at the baths and sex clubs. (Thank god for baths and sex clubs!)

Online sites and apps are much more efficient for getting laid then spending hours nursing a beer or drink at a bar. But I still prefer the baths, where I can know in an instant if I want to connect with a specific guy - and, if not, there are plenty of others who are ready and horny to fuck.